Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
So my car started making a pretty loud knocking sound over the weekend, now it's sitting at the dealer to find out the problem. 2018 GT350 with 7k miles. Sounded to me like a bottom end issue but will wait to see.

I've owned 16 cars and never had an engine failure so this a new experience for me. Hoping Ford and the dealer come through.
Damn ....another one ?

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
So my car started making a pretty loud knocking sound over the weekend, now it's sitting at the dealer to find out the problem. 2018 GT350 with 7k miles. Sounded to me like a bottom end issue but will wait to see.

I've owned 16 cars and never had an engine failure so this a new experience for me. Hoping Ford and the dealer come through.
What dealer?

windnsea00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Damn ....another one ?
Just read the whole thread, sounds like I am in line with what other people are experiencing. It made me look back in time at all the higher mileage BMW/Porsche's I had growing up that I would beat the hell out of...frankly surprised I never had an engine failure before now!

Anyway, once I know the resolution I will update this thread.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Got an update from my service department today. Engine should be here Friday. Quick turnaround if so. No questions asked - interesting as this just points to they know this is the drill. Wonder how long this will go on before anything major happens (recall) or they will just keep replacing engines. Happy that Ford is stepping up - disappointed this may be design flaw. We will see how long the second engine lasts. Track car for me.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Got an update from my service department today. Engine should be here Friday. Quick turnaround if so. No questions asked - interesting as this just points to they know this is the drill. Wonder how long this will go on before anything major happens (recall) or they will just keep replacing engines. Happy that Ford is stepping up - disappointed this may be design flaw. We will see how long the second engine lasts. Track car for me.
Sorry to hear about the engine T, hope it does all work out for you and you get my car's twin brother out on the track again soon! :cheers:

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
TSB

I think the only reason a TSB or recall gets issued if Ford is forced to because engine failures are ever related to safety issues. For example, if a blown engine results in either a fire or oil loss that directly related to accidents/injuries.

Short of that, Ford will continue its code of "Omerta." Perhaps with all the other changes to the '19s, Ford incorporated some lessons learned from engine failures. By this time, they certainly must know what the problems are.

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avoid any engine built by MMR at ALL costs. Search them, they are the Hennessey of engine building. Lots of shady business and engine building practices. Customers finding stock parts in engines when they paid for aftermarket etc.
For those of you who knows about these builders in the Ford world, what's the book on MPR?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I think the only reason a TSB or recall gets issued if Ford is forced to because engine failures are ever related to safety issues. For example, if a blown engine results in either a fire or oil loss that directly related to accidents/injuries.

Short of that, Ford will continue its code of "Omerta." Perhaps with all the other changes to the '19s, Ford incorporated some lessons learned from engine failures. By this time, they certainly must know what the problems are.
For sure. Even conservatively, if we took the percentage of failed motors here to members, approx. 6% give or take by your numbers, and cut that in half to be extra conservative encompassing the overall population of owners. Even 3% of ~16,000 cars (could be more just a rough guess) is about 480 engines that would have failed.

You would certainly expect with a number like that, that a distinct pattern and problem could be accurately diagnosed. As you say, they have to know what the issue is by now, it is simply a matter of them deciding to keep replacing motors on an individual basis which is probably incredibly cheaper than having to place a TSB for new parts/installation of EVERY GT350 on the road today.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1

I hear ya. Fortunately, no oil leaked on the track while everyone was on it. It leaked on the grass when I pulled off. Hopefully this won't happen to someone where the oil blows on the track while someone is hauling the mail behind them. It does have a track manual :). But like you said -I am sure they won't do a recall. It will be interesting if the fix (if there is one) is in the engine they give me. We will never know...

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya. Fortunately, no oil leaked on the track while everyone was on it. It leaked on the grass when I pulled off. Hopefully this won't happen to someone where the oil blows on the track while someone is hauling the mail behind them. It does have a track manual :). But like you said -I am sure they won't do a recall. It will be interesting if the fix (if there is one) is in the engine they give me. We will never know...
I hope your new engine never fails, and that you continue to enjoy it on the track. Stay safe out there - stuff happens quickly! One of the scariest moments in my life is when the Porsche a few yards ahead of me dropped oil and send me and my ZR1 off on a thrilling ride right off of the straightaway where we were probably goin about 130 at the time. It was a road course with no ARMCO and good run-off areas and I remembered the "two feet in" drill we were taught in school.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
First time I have read that a Ford employee said that the OPG "was a problem."

Oh, and I am adding you to the list as #19, so we are now up to a 6.3% failure rate among forum members...
If Ford has a chronic blown engine failure for 6 out of every 100 FPC engines/cars produced they then have a serious issue and very surprised that they will continue to produce possibly thousands more cars for the 2019MY!

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
If Ford has a chronic blown engine failure for 6 out of every 100 FPC engines/cars produced they then have a serious issue and very surprised that they will continue to produce possibly thousands more cars for the 2019MY!
It will be very interesting to see what happens Harry. On one hand, though I would never wish it to happen to anyone, it might be the best for us all as a whole if the failures continue to happen at a rate which Ford deems is unacceptable and may be forced to offer a fix for everyone.

On the other hand, as I said above, it may just be that the bean counters determined it is cheaper to simply replace the engines on a case-by-case basis than to the perform a TSB/installation costs associated with fixing 15,000+cars.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000

Focus RS recall was due to incorrect head gasket, which is not safety related