Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
If I call them it’s for buyback. Which I may do anyhow. If I try to sell or trade it I’m hosed. I’d get more money from buyback. I paid MSRP and it has the convience package.
i just called to let them know i was not exactly happy with the ownership of this car, and that was basically it. just wanted to let them know the car, and mostly the dealer, was driving away a lifelong ford fan. he asked if i wanted to start a buyback, told him that was not my purpose but i was interested in it as an option. it turned out i did not get approved for it(didn't think i would) but that's when they offered the extended warranty.

had i known then what i know now, i'd REALLY pushed for a buyback as no one wants to buy your car after a dealer replaces the motor...you just lost a couple/few thousand in value by simply having it done.

you will have guys try to look on the bright side with the whole "new lease on life" thing with a 0 mile voodoo...but buyers do not find this a plus, no matter what anyone tells you.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Yes I’ve taken her on backroads on RT33 in Wv along with RT4 and 2. Put it in sport mode and had at it. I’ll go check my fender for build date.
Build date in the drivers side door jam. Also, your JRxxx would be handy to start keeping track as unfortunate situations like yours roll in.

Sorry man, I really am. As an 18 owner myself.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
There's an excel file here that someone started and others should keep updated:

httpsVOOOOOOOODOOOOO://drive.google.VOOOOODOOOOcom/open?id=1OAo0VezzcZEOoaKeS1SyE15uS8osi0zJ_mOuxQSaATw

(USE LINK ABOVE BUT REMOVE TEH VOOODOOOs)

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Man, That's quite a list. Interesting how there are only a few R models... but that's probably because most people keep them in the garage :sunglasses:

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
That, plus the ultra low production numbers of the R. In 2017 it was 903, and 636 for 2018 as I recall.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I'm chassis J0016 with a manufacture date of October 2017.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I'm chassis J0016 with a manufacture date of October 2017.
Ah, early build, so possibly before any "upgrade" in the piston rings was implemented. From what I read, and based on production months for MY2018 being Oct, Nov, then off in Dec and Jan, and back to building them in Feb. So rumors of upgraded rings phased in to MY2018 maybe started in Feb. Not sure, but maybe this has something to do with that. (But I think later build dates had issues too, so who knows.)

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I’m guessing the reason the 2019’s are not out yet is that they wanted to be sure the engines were fixed. I mean 2019 usually come out in October. Here it is almost February and they still are not out yet. I was told they probably yanked my second motor from a 2019 build. They will probably melt down any existing pre late 2018 motors. That’s unless they know how to fix them before they get installed.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I’m guessing the reason the 2019’s are not out yet is that they wanted to be sure the engines were fixed. I mean 2019 usually come out in October. Here it is almost February and they still are not out yet. I was told they probably yanked my second motor from a 2019 build. They will probably melt down any existing pre late 2018 motors. That’s unless they know how to fix them before they get installed.
Interesting. 2019 may be shaping up to be a very short production run for the GT350/R.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Did anyone notice less power when the car was using a lot of oil? Oil in the F/A mix usually can cause detonation, so I would assume the ECU would at a minimum pull a bunch of ignition timing. Anyone with an oil burner go to the track during the time the engine was burning a lot of oil?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
No. Ran great and still runs good. After my 500 mile test it was 4 quarts down, it sound a bit off now....but it was being run low four quarts. A few hundred more miles it would have seized, probably. So they topped it off and got the papers going. I’m dropping it off tomorrow.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
No. Ran great and still runs good. After my 500 mile test it was 4 quarts down, it sound a bit off now....but it was being run low four quarts. A few hundred more miles it would have seized, probably. So they topped it off and got the papers going. I’m dropping it off tomorrow.
Oh man, I didn't realize you also have a Lead Food Gray.

Wow, 4qts in 500 miles!

I wish you well on this one. Keep us posted. Hopefully you'll get an updated engine, assuming they really were updated. If you find out more details as to what was updated (ie, piston rings) and WHEN that was updated, please share!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Oh man, I didn't realize you also have a Lead Food Gray.

Wow, 4qts in 500 miles!

I wish you well on this one. Keep us posted. Hopefully you'll get an updated engine, assuming they really were updated. If you find out more details as to what was updated (ie, piston rings) and WHEN that was updated, please share!

I don’t think Ford will give out any info on the changes. I get a new motor and hopefully it’s updated. Not knowing if it is or not, makes me want to go back to Porsche or Audi. I might call Ford Performance and talk to them. I’ve got my eye on a 2016 RS5 I might go test drive today. I’ve driven one before and enjoyed it. Sounds great and pretty fast too, it’s got the DSG and it shifts really quick, faster than I ever could. It would not be as much fun on a backroad. But when the shutdown ends, I plan to work till July or so and sell the DC condo and move to far north minnesota and get a house with a big ass garage and possibly get a 997.1 GT3. So the RS5 would do fine till then. I’ve only got one garage space in the condo. So only 1 car at a time....for now.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think Ford will give out any info on the changes. I get a new motor and hopefully it’s updated. Not knowing if it is or not, makes me want to go back to Porsche or Audi. I might call Ford Performance and talk to them. I’ve got my eye on a 2016 RS5 I might go test drive today. I’ve driven one before and enjoyed it. Sounds great and pretty fast too, it’s got the DSG and it shifts really quick, faster than I ever could. It would not be as much fun on a backroad. But when the shutdown ends, I plan to work till July or so and sell the DC condo and move to far north minnesota and get a house with a big ass garage and possibly get a 997.1 GT3. So the RS5 would do fine till then. I’ve only got one garage space in the condo. So only 1 car at a time....for now.
Don't do Audi, they are a disappointment with the horrible front wheel drive setup. absolutely horrible understeer on the track... I owned a few (S3, A3, A4, S4) .... Was tempted by the RS4 but when I drove it I realized it's not for me... I went back to BMW, forever. Nothing like that solid feel in your hands.
The new RS5 has a v6, and it's heavily underpowered now compared to competition.