Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Dremel, with 1'' dia cut-off disk, cross-cutting the head not suggested. Hard to control, 50/50 chance of damaging the gurnee flap..

@ Bitten in 69
I've wondered why it was named ....... good one :champagne:

Shadetree43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
21 EB Prem, VB, Pony Pkg, 201A, 13 RR F150 Lariat
I’m an idiot and instead of going hand tight I went by the torque specs in the manual and it happened while using my torq wrench :/
Not at all. Lesson was learned. Anyone who hasn’t made a mistake - will.
A torque wrench is a double edged sword. It can help complete the job properly OR ruin the job just as easily.
Good luck. Personally, I’m thinking a slot CAREFULLY cut with a dremel will work.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Could not help but notice Dremel pro's never mention. How many passes it is going to take to make the slot wide enough to accept a common screwdriver.

But never mind the details that would be stupid :computerrage:

OP
OP
Adr2600

Adr2600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 5.0, 301a, 6MT, Carbonized Gray
Maybe this is a dumb idea, but would possibly JB welding a socket or bit to the screw might work since it’s so small and wouldn’t take much torque to come free?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Adr2600

Adr2600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys for all the input, I’ll likely have my shop handle it if it comes to those more invasive methods as to not ruin the wing threads somehow or gurnee…

OP
OP
Adr2600

Adr2600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
A torque wrench is a double edged sword. It can help complete the job properly OR ruin the job just as easily.
Good luck. Personally, I’m thinking a slot CAREFULLY cut with a dremel will work.
Thank you!! I just feel so dumb, I did about 12k in under hood and suspension mods to my previous vehicle (Fiesta ST) with no issues but somehow I managed to F this up, maybe I had indulged too much in the greens haha…

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Maybe this is a dumb idea, but would possibly JB welding a socket or bit to the screw might work since it’s so small and wouldn’t take much torque to come free?
Sure, you can try. I wouldn't hold out much hope that it actually grips the screw. But it won't hurt anything either.
Use blue tape so you don't accidentally get glue on the paint.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
J.b weld a nut to it. Put socket on nut after jb drys . Spin out . Toss stripped hardware in trash.
Me. I'd tac a nut to it . Hit it with a tach with a welder and cool with. A wet rag. But I have a welder . J.b. weld should do the trick. Just tape up around it so if the j.b. runs it doesn't stick to the flap or spoiler.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Can happen to the best of us. Drilling it out would be my recommendation. FWIW, I have the same wing. I used a drop or two of blue loctite and hand tight only. The torque specs are low enough that it qualifies for hand tight. Plus my smallest torque wrench only goes to 10 ft-lbs and that’s too much for the Gurney bolts.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
This happened when I was installing my Steeda H-Pipe. The "heavy duty" clamps I bought for it called for a specific torque value. Well long story short it was almost stripping sometimes I rather go by feel. I think suspension, wheels and main engine/drivetrain components should have torque wrench used the rest can be done by feel easily.

FYI I worked as a Ford Tech helper for sometime in my teens in the heavy line department. Yep we didn't torque anything other than main engine components. For Clutch work, flywheel and such just hit it with the gun, wheels? hit with the gun. External engine parts? Air ratchet or 1/4'' gun. Only torqued main internal engine/trans components.

Last edited:

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Surprisingly it calls for 49 in. Lbs so I had my torque wrench to 4 ft. Lbs.
That sounds like a bit much, but if that's what they specify, maybe your torque wrench is not so accurate at that low a setting. I have a 1/4" drive in. lbs. torque wrench in addition to a couple of ft. lbs. wrenches 3/8" & 1/2" drives, including one I bought just to do the spindle nuts on my 2004 Mustang @ 250 ft. lbs.

OP
OP
Adr2600

Adr2600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
I doubt it is very accurate that was probably the issue! Tonight got the hole drilled for the left hand bits, going to get to that tomorrow and remove this thing

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Tonight got the hole drilled for the left hand bits, going to get to that tomorrow and remove this thing
Don't use a screw extractor. Use real reverse or left handed drill bits.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Well it might be too late since you've already drilled the hole, but I've found that sometimes you can get a Allen key to work or a flat blade screwdriver. You can put a wrench or a socket on some screwdrivers/hex drivers for extra leverage, Snap-On and Craftsman come to mind.
Sponsored