Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
$2400.00 for 20ish hp? Ouch.
Well, the cams are not even $1400, and the harder you push the motor the more power difference you'll see. The stock cams will die at 63-6400 rpm where the stage 3's will take you up to and over 7k. You're extending the usable power range while picking up peak power.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
@Derek@Lethal, I see the stage 3 N/A says 2-7.5K RPM.

Two questions:

One, with just the cams does that mean we can safely rev the motor to 7.5K?

Two, when it says it starts with 2K RPM, does this mean DD street driving is compromised?

Thanks!

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
@Derek@Lethal, I see the stage 3 N/A says 2-7.5K RPM.

Two questions:

One, with just the cams does that mean we can safely rev the motor to 7.5K?

Two, when it says it starts with 2K RPM, does this mean DD street driving is compromised?

Thanks!
1) If you have the induction/exhaust/fuel to support that RPM, yes, it's safe.

2) That means the gains will be more pronounced above 2k. Any time you ad larger cams, cylinder heads, etc... more breathing, it's not uncommon for low end to suffer at least a little bit but what you gain from mid range and above will outweigh anything missing down low.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
if your in there doing cams, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the oil pump gears as well. we ususally do them at the same time,

Sponsored

Blacksheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Do you really have to do a longtube hwadrs with cam? Or can you get away with resonator delete?

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Honestly for the cost of the cams plus labor you'd be wasting your time if your intake and exhaust wern't as free flowing as you can get them. Spend your money on headers and a tune, you'll pick up plenty of gains with that

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Do you really have to do a longtube hwadrs with cam? Or can you get away with resonator delete?
Just depends on you're goals.

For a max effort build you would want too

OP
OP

sicks550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Any vendors have their hands on any sets yet?

kallo07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Well, the cams are not even $1400, and the harder you push the motor the more power difference you'll see. The stock cams will die at 63-6400 rpm where the stage 3's will take you up to and over 7k. You're extending the usable power range while picking up peak power.

How do the stock cams die at that rpm range? When the stock 2015 cams are almost identical to the Ford racing cams, except the exhaust cams, sock it is 263 duration and 13mm lift vs 290 duration and 13mm lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
How do the stock cams die at that rpm range? When the stock 2015 cams are almost identical to the Ford racing cams, except the exhaust cams, sock it is 263 duration and 13mm lift vs 290 duration and 13mm lift.

Generally speaking the cam duration is more important than the lift. Back in the '11-14 Coyotes you could install a 'Mini-CJ' exhaust cam which kept the 11mm lift from stock but increased duration to 290 degrees and it made for substantial gains especially at higher RPM's.

kallo07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Seems due to meeting emission regulations ford did not use the exhaust cam. To have a true Ford Racing CJ setup all we need is the CJ exhaust cams.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Seems due to meeting emission regulations ford did not use the exhaust cam. To have a true Ford Racing CJ setup all we need is the CJ exhaust cams.

And the CJ intake manifold to take advantage of the cams breathing ability, and the CJ intake tube and filter to feed the intake, and the CJ throttle body to help regulate the massive amounts of air flowing into the engine, and a tune to make them all play well together.

In reality the current 5.0 is only about 25% Cobra Jet. It's more like 50% Roadrunner, 25% Cobra Jet and 25% previous Coyote.

kallo07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
And the CJ intake manifold to take advantage of the cams breathing ability, and the CJ intake tube and filter to feed the intake, and the CJ throttle body to help regulate the massive amounts of air flowing into the engine, and a tune to make them all play well together.

In reality the current 5.0 is only about 25% Cobra Jet. It's more like 50% Roadrunner, 25% Cobra Jet and 25% previous Coyote.

Very true I do agree with you. Gladly I've taken the steps to have the CJ intake setup and tuned, now just need the exhaust cams. I do feel the current tuners are holding back on the motors. As their is more control on these new gen coyote motors and better factory parts

Sponsored