Registering in California

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
The smog check is pretty easy though. OBD scan without sniffer I believe so long as you have enough drive cycles and visual pass you’ll be fine. But yes, that is the process.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'21 Grabber Yellow GT500 CFTP, '23 F150 King Ranch
Dave: That's the wrong direction. :-) Hope the move was necessary.
unfortunately it was for work. But 3X the salary helps a little bit even with the higher cost of living

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
I bought my GT500 from PA, had it shipped to CA. I had to get the Smog check done. The car had less than 20 miles on it and passed the smog check just fine, as previously stated there was no sniffer test as that is only done for older vehicles.

DMV then verified the VIN on the car and collected their check for taxes and registration fees.

Walked out same day with new license plates, stickers and registration card.

Overall, an easy process just a lot of hanging out at DMV.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I bought my GT500 from PA, had it shipped to CA. I had to get the Smog check done. The car had less than 20 miles on it and passed the smog check just fine, as previously stated there was no sniffer test as that is only done for older vehicles.

DMV then verified the VIN on the car and collected their check for taxes and registration fees.

Walked out same day with new license plates, stickers and registration card.

Overall, an easy process just a lot of hanging out at DMV.
Thanks VooDoo. Unfortunate California can’t make it any simpler.

Thanks to everyone else who provided input as well.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I wonder if you will have to get a smog check every 2 years? My 2013 hasn't had a smog check and I bought it new in Jan 2013.

OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if you will have to get a smog check every 2 years? My 2013 hasn't had a smog check and I bought it new in Jan 2013.
I hope not Earl. For now I’m planning on “normal” new car rules once it’s registered. I’ll cross that bridge when I have to.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The smog abatement systems have a number of self checks that must be passed in order for the initial smog check to be successful. Depending on how the car is driven those checks can take a while. So usually you want to put some miles on the car before getting it checked.

it is strange that you still need to get it checked when they are all built the same way, but the process is pretty simple.

I did this with my GT350 and it wasn’t difficult. They biggest key was making an appointment at the DMV so you minimize the wait.

-T

OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
The smog abatement systems have a number of self checks that must be passed in order for the initial smog check to be successful. Depending on how the car is driven those checks can take a while. So usually you want to put some miles on the car before getting it checked.

it is strange that you still need to get it checked when they are all built the same way, but the process is pretty simple.

I did this with my GT350 and it wasn’t difficult. They biggest key was making an appointment at the DMV so you minimize the wait.

-T
thanks for the info. I’ll have about 1,200 miles on it by the time I get it back to CA, hope that’s enough.
Sponsored