Recommended gas octane for storage?

Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner
Hi all, storing my gt350R for the winter. Having a hard time deciding which gas to put in for storage. I have 2 options:

91 non-ethanol

93 with ethanol

What would you recommend? Would 91 non ethanol affect the longetivity of the engine possibly since it’s a lower octane? I know the manual suggests 93 but I’ve never put 91 in the car so I am afraid to do so. Feedback is appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I have been storing cars and motorcycles every winter for at least the past 20 years with 93 octane with ethanol and never had any problems. If I know it will be a solid 4-5 months then I use gas stabilizer.

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
As @GT_Dave said, a little gas stabilizer helps, and I also add a bottle of dry gas too.

Never had a problem either, it’s only a few months, then once you take the car out you’ll probably use up the tank of gas in a week or so of driving.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Ethanol attracts water, if you have high humidity that might be a problem. No one who stores cars professionally adds anything that attracts water to fuel systems, even if they had good luck for 20 years.

If you live in a decent sized area, there is 93 octane/non-ethanol premium somewhere. Ask an independant store that sells and services gas-powered tools like chainsaws, they seem to always know where to find good gas.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hi all, storing my gt350R for the winter. Having a hard time deciding which gas to put in for storage. I have 2 options:

91 non-ethanol

93 with ethanol

What would you recommend? Would 91 non ethanol affect the longetivity of the engine possibly since it’s a lower octane? I know the manual suggests 93 but I’ve never put 91 in the car so I am afraid to do so. Feedback is appreciated!
A precise answer to your question is "91 AKI fuel is approved (look inside the flap that covers the fuel filler) for the GT350" so if you can get a non-ethanol 91, it'll be fine. As others have said, non-ethanol is best - it won't turn to goop by absorbing water. If you can, you might run a tank through before you fill it for storage, just to clear any residual ethanol out.

I'm lucky - where I live, the only non-ethanol fuel I can buy is 94.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
A precise answer to your question is "91 AKI fuel is approved (look inside the flap that covers the fuel filler) for the GT350" so if you can get a non-ethanol 91, it'll be fine. As others have said, non-ethanol is best - it won't turn to goop by absorbing water. If you can, you might run a tank through before you fill it for storage, just to clear any residual ethanol out.

I'm lucky - where I live, the only non-ethanol fuel I can buy is 94.
Non ethanol 94?

What brand is that? Mind you, I’m in Ontario and our Petro Canada 94 here has 10% ethanol. There’s a few Mobil and Esso (Toronto area except for a couple) that is non ethanol 93...

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Non ethanol 94?

What brand is that? Mind you, I’m in Ontario and our Petro Canada 94 here has 10% ethanol. There’s a few Mobil and Esso (Toronto area except for a couple) that is non ethanol 93...
Every Chevron station in BC has non-ethanol 94 on every gasoline-only (non-diesel) pump island. From the looks of it, the underground tanks have just two grades - 94 non-ethanol and 87 with ethanol. Each pump blends the two to deliver 89 and 91.

I ran into a group at a recent track day that run turbo Hondas, and they blend non-ethanol 94 with straight ethanol (there's a distributor that sells it in drums in the lower mainland) to produce their own custom E85 with a very high AKI.

There are a few PetroCan stations that have it as well (like the on-site PetroCan pump island at Area 27), but I believe it has ethanol in it.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Nice! I envy the 94 non ethanol in lieu of real e85.

In Ontario, there’s no e85 pump either. Last station closed up 5 years ago.

Carry on with winter gas storage... sorry to hi-jack!

FWIW, I store mine with a full tank of 93 non ethanol with a pint of gas line antifreeze that absorbs any water. Been doing it this way for years and no issues. Not sure if it’s the best way, but was what my dad taught me 35 years ago.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Best list of non-ethanol stations I know of.....https://www.pure-gas.org/

Just filled the 66 GT350 up at one in Snohomish, WA today.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Where I live, there are no non-ethanol gas anywhere close. I just filled it with 93 octane ethanol blend, and put in Stabil Marine formula before filling. I use the marine formula because it's better at removing water and moisture.
I always have 10 gallons of gas stored in containers for emergency use of a generator. I use the Stabil marine formula, and keep for 6 months, before rotating it out and putting in my truck. Never had a problem when I've used it past 6 months, be it in my generator, atv, etc.
Sponsored