rearview mirror question

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
My rearview mirror auto dimming feature doesn't work. This morning I was looking for a switch (some cars (GM?) have a switch to turn it off) and knocked the plug in and it started working, briefly. I seated the plug in all the way, and it stopped again. So, now the plug is firmly seated, and it's not working (again) and I wish I knew what I did the first time, LOL.

Any suggestions? Is there a switch?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My rearview mirror auto dimming feature doesn't work. This morning I was looking for a switch (some cars (GM?) have a switch to turn it off) and knocked the plug in and it started working, briefly. I seated the plug in all the way, and it stopped again. So, now the plug is firmly seated, and it's not working (again) and I wish I knew what I did the first time, LOL.

Any suggestions? Is there a switch?
There is no switch. Could be a bad connector/connection and/or a bad sensor. If still under warranty, bring it to the dealer.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Cheapo Ford didn't put a switch for the dimming feature, and neither for the map lights when doors open. At any rate, how are you testing the mirror??? There might be a delay built in. And also it doesn't work in reverse, so you know. And how about the door mirrors? It's super rare that those things fail, but it's always possible. Good luck.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
No switch.
If bumping it caused it to work and seating it firmly stopped it working then the place to start trouble shooting is the connection and associated wiring.
If it were mine I'd start wiggling wires in the plug harness. From there I'd unplug and examine the plug and socket in the mirror looking for bent/loose or misaligned pins.
Most likely the worst thing about finding and fixing the problem will be the awkward working position.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Take a picture of the connector pins
Nothing to see, they're fine.
And how about the door mirrors? It's super rare that those things fail, but it's always possible. Good luck.
Huh. Mirrors. Didn't think about them.
From there I'd unplug and examine the plug and socket in the mirror looking for bent/loose or misaligned pins.
Most likely the worst thing about finding and fixing the problem will be the awkward working position.
Thanks for the ideas guys. Pins all look good. I'll mess with it more when it gets darker...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Huh. Mirrors. Didn't think about them.
You know what, I was confusing this car with one of my others. Just checked the window sticker of my Bullitt, and it only says 'auto-dimming rearview mirror', so never mind, brother. Sorry for the bad information. But yes, checked it at night with a flashlight from behind, and it should dim. Good luck.

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Well, I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in. Using the DGWF* testing method, it seems to be working now.

Thanks all for the suggestions, comments and encouragement!

* - DGWF = Dark Garage With Flashlight

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well, I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in. Using the DGWF* testing method, it seems to be working now.

Thanks all for the suggestions, comments and encouragement!

* - DGWF = Dark Garage With Flashlight
Sorry to revive old thread. I got one in 2019 Bullitt (I believe the ones in GTs are different and more modern looking). Was there anything specific, or really just plugging in and out?

I've noticed on my morning commute today that I was getting straight up almost blinded in the rearview...

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to revive old thread. I got one in 2019 Bullitt (I believe the ones in GTs are different and more modern looking). Was there anything specific, or really just plugging in and out?

I've noticed on my morning commute today that I was getting straight up almost blinded in the rearview...
That's all. I don't know if it was loose or just needed a smack.

Sponsored

GaleGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gale
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
No switch.
If bumping it caused it to work and seating it firmly stopped it working then the place to start trouble shooting is the connection and associated wiring.
If it were mine I'd start wiggling wires in the plug harness. From there I'd unplug and examine the plug and socket in the mirror looking for bent/loose or misaligned pins.
That's what my uncle noticed on the wiring of his rearview. I'll take a closer look this weekend after we installed the shocked from 4Wheelonline onto his Jeep. Too bad it's out of warranty.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have a dash cam (dual, front and back) installed near the wiring, so there's a power in and data out (to the back cam), so it's tight as far as the wires go. I ran it very near the rearview, so I may have inadvertently moved the wiring, would explain the intermittency of it working and not.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've noticed today during my morning drive that the mirror cycles off and on with a car behind me, I think my sensor must be bad. Wiring seems okay. Will test with multimeter today.

Does anyone know where I can find how to test this, i.e. the pinouts?
Sponsored