Rear Windows won't close all the way

ChanceMcCall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
2016. Windows close fine when the top is down but not so when the top is up. Both rear windows fail to close all the way with the top up and it has been that way since the first time we dropped the top. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

rcengr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue EB Convertible, 2023 Colorado Z71
OP
OP

ChanceMcCall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Do you have your front windows down when you're trying to roll up the rears? I have to put my rears up first and then my fronts.
I've tried it both ways. Nothing helps. Going to try the silicone trick next.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I don't suggest using silicone, it tends to dry rubber out over time. What I use, and I've had to do both sides, is dielectric grease. It doesn't affect the rubber and lasts. I did my passenger side last July and it still works perfectly. I just had to do the driver's side last week. The passenger side hasn't dried out, gotten hard or collected dirt and the rubber is still supple.
So, yeah, dielectric grease, not silicone. Just put some on your finger push it deep into the channel and rub it on both sides and use a paper towel to remove any excess. You will be pleased with the results.

MButler51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible, 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 1972 Chev K10 4x4 pickup (bought new).
I don't suggest using silicone, it tends to dry rubber out over time. What I use, and I've had to do both sides, is dielectric grease. It doesn't affect the rubber and lasts. I did my passenger side last July and it still works perfectly. I just had to do the driver's side last week. The passenger side hasn't dried out, gotten hard or collected dirt and the rubber is still supple.
So, yeah, dielectric grease, not silicone. Just put some on your finger push it deep into the channel and rub it on both sides and use a paper towel to remove any excess. You will be pleased with the results.
My Honda dealer has long used a special grease called “Shin-Etsu” grease on my door and window seals. It IS actually a silicone grease of some kind. I know this is flat blasphemy on a Mustang site, but it’s pretty good stuff, Haven’t tried it on my Mustang yet, but same principle and I’m sure it would work great. It ain’t cheap ($26) but a little goes a long way. Amazon has it. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/09/26/hondas-secret-weapon-squeaks-door-leaks-shin-etsu

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Does it tend to let a lot grease on the windows when you open and close them ?
Only put the the lube on the rubber trench of the roof. Just allows the window to slip in and seal without a problem. Don’t put it on the glass itself.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Does it tend to let a lot grease on the windows when you open and close them ?
No, I've not gotten much on the glass. I hardly ever see them though, they're either all the way up or all the way down, seldom in between.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Spray 303 protectant into the rubber channel and just wipe the excess off after a bit.

rmxdavid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible 5.0 - Magnetic Metallic
Could this also be due to a misalignment of the top? I have tried all of the above with no luck. When this happens, I have to open my driver and passenger doors and pull both rear windows up about 3 inches. Not a big deal but would be nice if I didn't have to do it. I may have the dealer look at it given still in warranty.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Your windows have to be pulled by hand 3 inches? That isn’t right. Most convertible owners have an issue with a few mil, that’s all

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Could this also be due to a misalignment of the top? I have tried all of the above with no luck. When this happens, I have to open my driver and passenger doors and pull both rear windows up about 3 inches. Not a big deal but would be nice if I didn't have to do it. I may have the dealer look at it given still in warranty.
It would be a huge deal to me!

Having to pull the windows 3" by hand is not a fix you attempt for yourself if the car is in warranty.

Take it to the dealer for repair.
Sponsored