Sponsored

Rear window support brackets on convertible

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Thanks for the advice to attempt to reattach the arms from the backseat rather them outside of the car. I did it yesterday and it worked great! We'll see how long it lasts.
Sponsored

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Just checking in to see if anyone has had any luck getting these issues fixed? Ford has sent yet another (same) "kit" for the repair. It did not work the first time, dont know why they think it will work this time. Will see what happens after this.

Please let me know if your repairs are working or not.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Just checking in to see if anyone has had any luck getting these issues fixed? Ford has sent yet another (same) "kit" for the repair. It did not work the first time, dont know why they think it will work this time. Will see what happens after this.

Please let me know if your repairs are working or not.
Remind me what is in the 'kit'. Is it just 2 new retaining clips that slide over the ends of the rods?

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that is what is in the repair kit. And some sponge type thing that nobody at my dealership knows what to do with it.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Well I got to play with mine again tonight and like the rest of you had no luck. It feels like the retaining clips are intact but I'm sure they are broken. Not that that matters as they seem to be failing all over the place. I suspect the rear window frame design is not sturdy enough and some kind of torque is blowing up the retainers when the top is dropped/raised. I would also like to see if the window bracket has failed.

I will contact Towne Ford tomorrow.

Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I felt mine yesterday and didn't feel anything to be loose. My back window doesn't flap either like some people were referring to.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I would also like to see if the window bracket has failed.
I wish there was an easy way to see the female hole the rod w/ clips goes into. The driver's side's clip (that I can easily pull back out) looks only slightly shaved off at the 'very' tip of one of the two retaining tabs. If that small amount of material is the diff from being held in and popping out, it is poor design. I fear there may be 'other' retaining tabs inside the hole that cannot be replaced. when anyone is in there next time, see if you can snap a number of blind pics and get lucky to see the inside of where the rod goes in. Next time mine pop out, I'll try this shot in the dark. ;)

I felt mine yesterday and didn't feel anything to be loose. My back window doesn't flap either like some people were referring to.
If both your rods are in, your window won't flop around. Those of us who noticed the 'flopping window' had no idea there were rods and one or both rods were not in their brackets... Both of mine were out when I found this thread. :doh:

MAYBE there is a way to put shim material under the two tabs on the retaining clip to help them 'press out' a little more strongly??? --OR-- put a layer of tape around the retaining clip to hopefully make it stay in better. Next time I have a rod out to look closer I'll look into this. From the non responsiveness to this issue by Ford, I'm guessing we'll be left to figure out our own jury rig fix. Any Manufacturing engineers with a convertible with this issue? I'm not one, but have been accused of worse.:eyebulge:

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Here's a not so great pic of the drivers side on the window frame
image.jpg

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
Taking mine by the dealer tomorrow for pictures. Have shared the ones from the thread here already. Have to un-mount my windscreen, easy, but PITA. Will probably transit (~45 mins to dealer) with top down, but want to show them the glass flex with top UP and windows down - big difference L/R one with one without rod. To answer a prior question, haven't been able to discern if rod is relatively easy to pop out when re-seated manually. Just know that it popped out with top cycling about 2-3 times from the initial time I reset it.
Also having the seat cooling TSB done, parts are in. Trying to get this repair kit also so that I can have the work done at the same time. Would love to see the repair procedure diagram....Will update when repair done.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Trying to get this repair kit also so that I can have the work done at the same time. Would love to see the repair procedure diagram....Will update when repair done.
mpwillis,
Please do ask the procedure. If it is just replacing the clips on the ends of the rods, you might want to (or not ;o) ask them to try gently pulling the rod back out after popping it in, to confirm it is held in place securely. If they can say whether the window bracket has any chance of having a faulty/worn internal part, that would be good to know. :)

When I found this thread and also found both my rods laying unattached:
1) Driver's side popped in and I was easily able to pull it back out. I have not operated the top much since then, but it is still in place.
2) Passenger side rod popped back in and I was NOT able to easily pull it back out. I did not use a lot of force trying to pull each back out, but the first one came right back out.

It would be helpful info to know if they pop out due to a mechanical issue that exerts too much force on that connection, --OR-- If the connection is weak by design and normal operation pops the rods out.

If you think of it, ask if the 3/4" straps belong outside the rod (between rod and canvas top), or inside of the rod (between rod and window).

No worries if this is too much detail to ask (or expect from dealer ;)).
Thanks

Sponsored

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible 50 Years Edition
I contacted my dealer a week or so ago and had my appointment today. My brackets were not broken upon their inspection and they popped them back in. It's a bit cold here to be putting the top down but this coming week I plan on testing it out. If at all possible, take your car to the dealer so it can be put into the system. If you fix it yourself, Ford will never know an accurate number of problems and therefore a solution will be farther off.

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checking in with everyone. I know some of you have "popped" the brackets back into place? Have those repairs fixed the problem or have they popped back out?

I have popped mine in have a dozen times now, replaced the clips once and my brackets continue to pop back out. Ford has been very little help as has my dealer. Getting frustrated.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Checking in with everyone. I know some of you have "popped" the brackets back into place? Have those repairs fixed the problem or have they popped back out?

I have popped mine in have a dozen times now, replaced the clips once and my brackets continue to pop back out. Ford has been very little help as has my dealer. Getting frustrated.
First, sorry for the PIA this has been for you and thanks for your reporting on the issue!! Since you have also replaced the rod retainer clips with new ones, to no advantage, have you considered trying any DIY fixes? (God knows you are accessing these rods enough, unfortunately, to warrant trying different self fixes)

A suggestion from my earlier post... "MAYBE there is a way to put shim material under the two tabs on the retaining clip to help them 'press out' a little more strongly??? --OR-- put a layer of tape around the retaining clip to hopefully make it stay in better." ANY other ideas anyone can think of as I am betting we are on our own on this one.

I'm not one holding hopes that Ford will decide this is an issue worth their attention given their lack of factory direction/support for the drive line vibration issue that still continues (Poll thread started January '15 shows 38% of respondents reporting this problem)
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=821142#post821142

So good luck expecting Ford to step up for this type of problem.
(recall the definition :doh: )

OP
OP

drstara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question to everyone. Is this the type of problem that would require Ford to buy back the car if I took the Lemon Law route?

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I took mine in for repair today. The service manager explained that the tech removed the liner to access the window and "implied" that he modified the retainer clip somehow. He wasn't clear exactly how the tech did it and the tech had gone home when I picked up the car.

I ran the top back and forth a dozen times and it held up which is far better results then I had my own attempt at repair.

I will report back in a week if repair holds up.
Sponsored