Rear View Camera Not Available

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
My '15 base Ecoboost just got its first "rear camera not available." Awww... :mad: Going to take a look at the wiring harness.
Sponsored

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I have a temporary solution for my problem. I duct taped the cable at the cable tie point so it could not move when the trunk lid was opened and closed. So I now know where the failure is. Fortunately I have an extended warranty through Easycare that I hope will cover the labor.

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The notes on the invoice from the dealer indicates they extended the length of the harness and reprogrammed the camera.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Hey there, so I was having the common "rear camera not available" issue on my 16 Ecoboost. It was intermittent at first then completely gone, would have major lines etc. So I did some investigating and the wiring bundle in the trunk was the problem. As you can see from the pictures Ford installs a protective sleeve on the wires but unfortunately at the end of the sleeve is exactly where the problem is, which I removed on reassembly. The 2 wires for the camera were completed cut and one other had the protective coating broke. To make the repairs I had to cut back the protective silver coating on the 2 camera wires, then I used red butt connectors. I then taped everything very neatly back together with a good quality electrical tape. I then covered the bundle with split cable loom, then moved the factory protective sock over everything. I also added the loom all the way past the bundle mount in the upper trunk.
Do you know what gauge are the camera wires? I tried to extend mine, but only had a slightly bigger wire which isn't working that great or at all.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Threads like this remind me that I have this camera too. The first time I noticed I thought such a small picture screen. I guess if I were a younger fellow I could make out what its displaying lol. then I'd probably make use of it instead of straining my neck to look over seat..Guess I better keep an eye on it now just for making sure I dont have the same issues..gl

Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Tried to splice the camera wire back together today and it would work, but once I wrap it in tape the screen goes black again. Ugh, do I have to replace the entire length of the wire? or the entire harness? This is ridiculous

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Tried to splice the camera wire back together today and it would work, but once I wrap it in tape the screen goes black again. Ugh, do I have to replace the entire length of the wire? or the entire harness? This is ridiculous
Check the following if you have not already:

1) Make sure the splicing is 100% good - meaning that the single splice per wire is making a good connection (either by a twist method that is most common or if soldered make sure the solder joint held).

2) Check the entire length of the wire loom - starting at/under trunk lid where is goes towards camera and all the way under the rear shelf, where it normally bends. Make sure you did not miss any damaged wires along that length.

3) The repair is not only to fix any damaged wires (splice), but also to ensure the LENGTH of the repair is more than sufficient for opening/closing the trunk lid. If the repair is too short (like Ford’s original design), it could cause intermittent issues again - especially if it’s only acting up after you have applied tape or shrink tubing. If taping or shrink tubing it could be causing a bind or not allowing the wires to properly flex which could cause issue with the camera again.

LGNDLVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 SPD PREM MAGNETIC METALLIC
Hey everybody. I had a 2015 GT PP and the camera issues were all related to the plug on the camera connection in the trunk. slamming the trunk made it on and off and all weird pictures. I fixed by removing the trunk cover panel and fixing the connector to the camera. no more issues until I got rid of it over a year later for the 2018.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Is there a DIY fix that owners can do to prevent the camera wires from being crimped? Wire loom, etc.?
I open the trunk follow the wires down with my hands and how they have twisted and slowly twist the wires straight . From the attachment at the rear deck up to the trunk lid . The section of harness gets twisted in the heat and from opening and closing the trunk lid .

Sponsored

Teddie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
This just happened today on my 16 ecoboost vert premium. Thanks for all the possible solutions. I'll be trying them out sometime when the weather gets a bit warmer. Would be 'nice' if a similar issue or even the same issue is why my passenger window does the short drop constantly. Everything on the car seems to be failing at the same time :(

DaveElliott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustand GT 5 liter Convertible
My rear view camera has gone BO again. Its operation has been intermittent within the past week. At its last occurrence of failure, I was able to get the rear view camera to work by simply turning the car off and waiting. I have done nothing to the camera and it has simply crapped out. Restarting the car did not reset the camera this time. Have any of you guys gotten the camera to work without going to the stealership? I can only think to unplug the battery, but am seeking advice.

IMAG1450_zps61fipgw4.jpg

FoxPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 I4 Mustang
Check out my post info on #43, fixing the wire isn't a huge deal. And worth trying before going to the dealership.

abhyudayareddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6
I am running into the same issue from a couple of weeks. the camera works intermittently.

Mustang 2015 V6 Fastback

17GTWow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0
I just put in a new powered sub in my 17 GT. I opened up the harness to get to the speaker wires and now mine doesn't work. Been doing a lot of research and it looks like the problem is in the bend where the wires usually snap. Do I need to cut the whole harness open or is there a common place where the wires come apart. I'm out of Warranty.
Sponsored