Sponsored

Rear view rattle

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Located a rattle in my rear view mirror anyone else have this issue ? Or maybe how to get inside the mirror
Sponsored

Johnny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Premium
i just discovered that my mirror has a rattle. I thought it was coming from the dash. Mine sounds like a buzz, rather than something clunking inside. As for stopping it, if I hold on to it while driving it stops, not a perminant fix.

OP
OP

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
I could compare to a buzz only hear when hitting bump like on the interstate or a bridge and mine also stops when I touch it

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Located a rattle in my rear view mirror anyone else have this issue ? Or maybe how to get inside the mirror
i just discovered that my mirror has a rattle. I thought it was coming from the dash. Mine sounds like a buzz, rather than something clunking inside. As for stopping it, if I hold on to it while driving it stops, not a perminant fix.
Hi guys,

Have you been able to address this rattle with your Ford Dealers? If not, I recommend you bring them in to your Ford Dealers and get this noise checked out. Then, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the customer service managers for your area if needed.

Deysha

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
Was not able to get mine resolved by my dealer due to being out of warranty. Had to come up with my own solution. Found that after taking the mirror apart that there is plastic on plastic to rub and buzz (loose mirror in a plastic housing). Installed some tesa tape where the mirrors come together. Worked like a charm. No more Buzz or vibration. Here is a few photos.
Note:This can be completed without removing the mirror form the windshield.
Taking it apart was a pain. But, then I tried on the middle of the bottom of the mirror. See photos with Red arrow. If you insert a small flat screwdriver here it will separate easier. Then using the puddy knife or another screwdriver. Keep working till the bottom is separated.Work nice and slow so that you dont put any pressure on the mirror. View attachment 314235 View attachment 314236
Tools.JPG
View attachment 314238
Taped edge comp.JPG
Taped with Mirror installed.JPG
Taped with mirror 2.JPG
Then the side and top with slide apart. I wrapped the edge with the tesa tape and reassembled. Then sanded by hand any marks left on the plastic.
You could also add more tape on the inside to the White sensor panel. This has a loose fit also.
Hope this helps for the others that are out of warranty.
Bottom side_LI.jpg
Tesa tape.JPG
Taped around edge.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
On the S197 generation, including mine, sometimes the rear view mirror buzzing was caused by the plastic trim piece where the mirror sticks to the windshield. That particular rattle could often be fixed by inserting a thin rubber band or rubber-O ring under that plastic piece. I can't recall how the S550 mirror is mounted, but it might be similar.

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
Yes, tried the fix you mentioned months ago. But, it did not work. Mine was fixed tight with no movement from that mounting point. When you look at the mounting of the mirror on the s550. It has a dovetail detente. Basically it locks by a taper dovetail on the windshield tab and a real pain to remove from the windshield. The vibration / rattle that causes the noise is on the inside of the mirror. The mirror making contact with the plastic housing.
Sponsored