Rear Subframe Rust

Gtracing2626

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Hey guys, I was under the rear of my 16 gt yesterday checking a few things out and during that time I discovered rust on the rear subframe. I live in Florida but not near the coast and clean the underside of my vehicle at least once a month. I have no idea how the rust began however it’s there now and Id like to fix it before it progresses any further. My question is does the rust in the photographs look bad, to me it just looks like surface rust? Also am I able to fix this with a simple sanding and then applying rustoleum black paint to stop and prevent future rusting? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
7C98A34C-0EBC-41A9-B00A-42E5B4F34364.png
87B562C4-EE05-4C8B-B6B8-F48F01684BA8.png
64F86232-821F-4DCA-9E44-98F1B3951582.png
A8E4B91E-BA34-4D7A-8A6C-49F2CE2D14D0.png
4F76A67B-6209-43BD-BC4F-DF5903CFFD03.png
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Go to Eastwood’s site (or any other such supplier - Advance Auto supposedly has this too) and get POR15. It’s a rust converter and protector; the product stops rust from occurring even if there is current surface rust as in your pics. The surface has to be cleaned of any debris AND most importantly, be 100% dry before applying the product (ie: if you washed car and sprayed under it, went through car wash or were driving in rain).

The best application for what you would be trying to do is the canned “paint on” product, not the spray. Application is to brush on the product and cover all affected regions. The product is supposed to self level so don’t be concerned with how it looks on first appearance. Be sure to dab in all crevices or into/under ridges where 2 or more pieces of sheet metal come together.

The spray would work, but when working with the parts attached to the vehicle, you can’t get the proper spray angles or get up into smaller region to apply. This is why the brush on application is much better.

That is the only way to stop rust - aside from dismantling, sand blasting and/or then prepping, painting (or powder coating) metal parts.

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
Go to Eastwood’s site (or any other such supplier - Advance Auto supposedly has this too) and get POR15. It’s a rust converter and protector; the product stops rust from occurring even if there is current surface rust as in your pics. The surface has to be cleaned of any debris AND most importantly, be 100% dry before applying the product (ie: if you washed car and sprayed under it, went through car wash or were driving in rain).

The best application for what you would be trying to do is the canned “paint on” product, not the spray. Application is to brush on the product and cover all affected regions. The product is supposed to self level so don’t be concerned with how it looks on first appearance. Be sure to dab in all crevices or into/under ridges where 2 or more pieces of sheet metal come together.

The spray would work, but when working with the parts attached to the vehicle, you can’t get the proper spray angles or get up into smaller region to apply. This is why the brush on application is much better.

That is the only way to stop rust - aside from dismantling, sand blasting and/or then prepping, painting (or powder coating) metal parts.

So this por15 stuff, you just use a brush to apply? Do you know if it will show streaks?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
And do you need to remove it after certain amount of time via high-pressure carwash, or does it dry hard? Inquiring minds want to know :D. Thx.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So this por15 stuff, you just use a brush to apply? Do you know if it will show streaks?
It dries to a matte finish just like a spray primer would.

And do you need to remove it after certain amount of time via high-pressure carwash, or does it dry hard? Inquiring minds want to know :D. Thx.
Dries hard and looks like black primer. It's shiny when it goes on but not when it dries.
Sponsored