cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Hey folks,

Installed Steeda progressive springs this year after 5 years. The ride and handling are vastly improved, but I am now getting a popping or clicking sound from the rear end. It happens at low speeds (that I notice it) and only when applying power or letting off the throttle. Would this definitely be the differential bushings? Will have to check them. So far I pulled the wheels and tightened all the bolts to ensure they are at spec (brake calipers, suspension & supports that were loosened or removed when installing the springs). Would this have been caused by the spring change, or coincidence?

Thanks!
Sponsored

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Popping and clicking when slowing and starting at low speed was a bad rear wheel bearing on my car.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Popping and clicking when slowing and starting at low speed was a bad rear wheel bearing on my car.
Just curious, did you diagnose that or did a mechanic? Trying to align on next steps without throwing parts & money at the problem.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Just curious, did you diagnose that or did a mechanic? Trying to align on next steps without throwing parts & money at the problem.
I'm with nightmare on the bearing. Had same issue on mine with only 1000 miles on the car. Narrowed it down to right back. Had my son stand by the car as I went forward and backwards. Changed the hub assy and now have 12k miles with now noise since. Took my car to 3 different dealerships and they couldn't couldn't figure it out. They did however enjoy playing with the launch control on my car. I ALWAYS keep it off and all 3 times I pick up my car and it's been turned on. Idiots just wanted to burn my tires off it seems. It's a good starting point since you've already done all the torque checks just like I did.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a a couple fail which my mechanic helped me with which didn't make that noise, but exhibited play when the wheel was off the ground and you gave it a good bear-hug and wiggle

... but that time I gambled and tried torqing it down, and when that didn't resolve the noise I replaced it myself. The noises didn't come back so they were definitely coming from the hub, it was the only variable that changed.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I also went down that road. Thrust washer, new axle nut went on mine - as well as the hub, which seemed to be the issue for me.

If so, there's a good chance that's the hub. The technician showed me the old hub that came off and rotated back/forward to show the clicking/play. New part didn't do that.
I had that annoying shit on mine rear left. 3 hubs in 1 year. Replaced the hub, nut and halfshaft and for now at least this shit is gone. We will see for how long.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
I had that annoying shit on mine rear left. 3 hubs in 1 year. Replaced the hub, nut and halfshaft and for now at least this shit is gone. We will see for how long.
If it comes back it's the thrust washer I promise. My noise showed up AFTER I put new rear hubs on. The thrust washer design was revised and the new ones are thicker.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If it comes back it's the thrust washer I promise. My noise showed up AFTER I put new rear hubs on. The thrust washer design was revised and the new ones are thicker.
changed halfshaft, hub and anything related as well as thrust washer so it shouldn't come back also ordered new open ended lug nuts so I can replace the slowed oem ones. Hopefully I will not have any hub related issues for a while.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I also went down that road. Thrust washer, new axle nut went on mine - as well as the hub, which seemed to be the issue for me.

To the OP - this your noise?

If so, there's a good chance that's the hub. The technician showed me the old hub that came off and rotated back/forward to show the clicking/play. New part didn't do that.
It is very similar, hard to tell if it is exactly the same. Have not had the chance to dig into it yet, way too many things going on, might wait until the end of the summer to pull things apart.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
As for now, I pulled the tire and started checking everything. The left side axle nut was loose, easy to move with very little effort. For now I tightened it up to spec (150 + 1/8 turn) and it seems at least much better (very little noise). Tightened it a bit more (think my torque wrench is a bit off) and will see in the coming week if that solves it. If yes, will order a new one and replace with locktite.

Thanks again all!

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Another drive around for a couple of hours and not a pop! Yay!

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Completing the story, the popping came back after a week or so. Took to my local mechanic that we really trust, he diagnosed to the rear wheel hub. Ordered the part from Rock Auto and finally replaced it this weekend. Took it for a spirited drive and it seemed to fix it!
Sponsored