bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Completing the story, the popping came back after a week or so. Took to my local mechanic that we really trust, he diagnosed to the rear wheel hub. Ordered the part from Rock Auto and finally replaced it this weekend. Took it for a spirited drive and it seemed to fix it!
Make sure to check this wheel lug nuts and replace them with something like gorilla. They need to be torqued to 150 ft-lbs which is a lot. OEM ones are no good.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Make sure to check this wheel lug nuts and replace them with something like gorilla. They need to be torqued to 150 ft-lbs which is a lot. OEM ones are no good.
Thanks, I replaced all of my lug nuts last year as they were starting to warp. The OEM two piece ones are crap, as the exterior shell starts to shift...

Also, I was feeling a lot of vibration through my clutch before changing the hub which I had attributed just to driveline tolerances loosening as the car got older (almost 60k miles at this point). After it appears to be gone, although just one test drive so far. And the car feels a lot more lively, like I have a 50hp tune. It really started to expose what I know are worn tires (very easy to start losing traction). I wonder if it was just placebo effect and recent rains could have left some oils on the road, or if the worn hub could really have been dragging that much.