Sponsored

Rear Diff Cover

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So they charge $700 bc there is no diff cover provided. It's an easier install.
The diff cover is $85, just say'in. Slap it on a drill press or mill and add the new hole if it matters.
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Good to know. Cheaper than I thought, surprising in fact.
But I'd rather not even split open my diff case at all if I can avoid it. And I thought I read the cradle has to be dropped to get it off?

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I just called MMR and this is for cars with sensor, you will not need to buy cover. They also have an option for a billet cover but they said that is a couple of months out. That option will have heat sinks to further increase cooler.
I was looking at this kit a few weeks back. It suspiciously looks exactly like the FTBR kit only cheaper. It’s literally the same kit as pictured on both sites.
Does anyone know if they’re the same? Is anyone running this MMR kit and if so how’s it performing?

Last edited:

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I might have missed it..

Does anyone have the Part number for OEM Diff cover..?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2 sitting on the shelf if you want one

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
PM Sent :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
A dry-mount O-ring seal would be nice

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get one ? 😃
No.

Unless I have an excess of cash at the time I'm going to do the gear swap, I will most likely just wrap the pipes and swap out the gear oil :like:

From what I have read, doing the pipes and oil sorts 'most' of the temp issues without the need for additional cooling (including people who regularly track their cars).

WD :like:

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
No.

Unless I have an excess of cash at the time I'm going to do the gear swap, I will most likely just wrap the pipes and swap out the gear oil :like:

From what I have read, doing the pipes and oil sorts 'most' of the temp issues without the need for additional cooling (including people who regularly track their cars).

WD :like:
That's been my experience so far with wrap and RP 75/140. I've only received the warning a few times in 3 years. Will see what happens when I move to stickier tires though. As a backup I use one of the Ryobi methods. I have the Ryobi battery powered sprayer and one of their smaller leaf blowers. I use a wheel chock to point the sprayer (tank filled with just water) and leaf blower at the diff and spray the diff for 5-10 minutes between track sessions. Since they are useful for other tasks around the house it was an easy choice (actually the leaf blower was free when I bought two batteries I believe). The other Ryobi option is their battery powered misting fan (which I also have) but my method works well.

As I continue to build my car in to a semi-dedicated track car I'll get a diff cooler eventually.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
All

I suddenly got a nightmare vision of some guy attaching a leaf blower to his differential and driving around the course, happy as a clam, because his diff is reading 20 degrees cooler!

Of course, I reassured myself, that could NEVER happen to anyone on this forum. Yes?

CVCashmere

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
It looks like this finned diff cover accomplishes most of what trackers are looking for. To me it seems like a toss up, finned cover with major install effort or a powered cooler that doesn’t require removal of the cover. I think the costs are similar. I don’t have the confidence to disassemble the entire underside rear myself so I’d have to pay for the install. I think I could install the Kenny Brown cooler my self.

The 2012 Boss had a simple sheet metal scoop you could purchase from Ford and attach that directed underbody air onto the Diff. Seems like something like that would aid the finned cover.

Last edited:

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
When I was asked to test this newly-designed finned S550 Diff cover, I was a bit humbled, somewhat honored, but mostly excited. The designer/creator of the cover is from Munich Germany, -he goes by Ish, or his forum name: FluiX. FluiX is the abbreviation for his company: Fluid Dynamic Experimentation and Technology.

The only thing that was requested of me was to give an honest test and a non-biased evaluation of the new piece, and that is exactly what I intend to do here. I want to give a first-look evaluation of the piece now and later I plan on creating a new thread, maybe called: (Inside the "Super 8.8" rear end) with a deep-dive into the internals, detailing an overhaul of a S550 carrier with new bearings & seals and hoping to offer some good information. Then I plan on putting the Fluix cover onto this unit and swap it into my car for some diff temp testing.

I Received the FluiX cover on Oct 6, 2020
At first appearance the new finned cover looks to be, well designed, a high quality, and excellent machine work (looks just as good, if not better than the OEM factory machining)

16 External Fins running along the bottom, and across the back of the cover.
Most definitely these should dissipate heat.

IMG_0379-800x600.jpg

Someone must have maybe been listening to Gale Banks as the 13 internal ribs obviously are there to direct the fluid, reduce foaming, and reduce heating effects.
IMG_0367-800x600.jpg

Comparing the outside of a Stock OEM cover (Left), to the FluiX cover (Right)
IMG_0364-1225x600.jpg

Here is the inside comparison, I also did a weight comparison,
Factory OEM diff cover (wo/cooler), weight: 7lbs, 10.3oz
FluiX finned cover, weight: 13lbs, 1.7oz
IMG_0363-1193x600.jpg

Clearance wise, (at the back of the covers), They are both the same depth.
IMG_0369-800x488.jpg

I did a fluid Volume capacity comparison on each cover.
I sealed a glass plate to each cover, stood it up vertically and filled with liquid to the fill hole.
Both the stock OEM cover and the FluiX cover held 16 oz.

IMG_0374-800x600.jpg

Here's some additional close-ups of the cover at different angles.
IMG_0380-800x600.jpg

IMG_0376-800x600.jpg

IMG_0377-800x600.jpg
How many SPLINE axles are in all (Aluminum and Iron housing) super 8.8's?
Thanks Anthony

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
ONLY the fin extensions are on the back side of the cover.

The main cooling fin section extends ~3/4" below the differential housing, and extends towards the front below the housing. These fins are over 6" long towards the front of the car. This section sees perfect airflow below the car.

The upper fin extensions are there to transfer the heat from the main cooling section below the diff housing into the rest of the metal of the diff cover, increasing the overall surface area. So even though the extension do not see airflow, they still are functional and there for a reason.

And about the install, correct me if I'm wrong... But the Full Tilt kit, or any other diff cooler kit for that matter, will also need to remove the OEM diff cover and replace it with one that has an extra oil fill tap, where the pump, pumps the oil back into the housing. So the labour on the FluiX cover is less in the end with the standard FluiX cover, since you don't need to drill holes into the body work for mounting brackets for the heat exchanger and pump.
It seems to me that the FluiX rear cover is the "Easy Button" on fixing the differential temperature issue for the majority of people. If you're a big HP car, then you might want the FTBR kit, but for most people, I bet this is more than enough to get through a track day or even an SCCA race. Having the differential at 300F/150C is pretty hot, but it's not the end of the world with a good synthetic gear oil. If the finned cover keeps things in the 265F/130C range, then I don't know what else you could ask for?

I'm usually the one saying you have to cool things more, but I have no where near the problem with the diff temps at 265F as I do with engine temps at 235F. The former could reduce life on the R&P or bearings. The latter _will_ eventually lose a head gasket, especially the guys running Eco's in this range. (Again, just my opinion) That's why I may seem inconsistent.
Sponsored