Sponsored

Rear Diff Cover

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those that have experienced the "warning" and "limp mode" ...
  1. At what temp does the warning appear and
  2. At what speed are we limited to during limp mode?
I know it doesn't answer all of your questions, but it may help :

1626964759680.png

WD :like:

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Looks like the discussion has moved on a bit since I last visited this thread, but I'll offer up some additional thoughts on this upgrade since my track season has come to a successful end (i'll do one more event in Nov, but I don't anticipate any heat issues then).

I installed this before my first event this year. Since then I've done 5 events in spring and summer, upgraded my brakes to GLoc R12s and two-piece rotors, gone to a 100TW tire, and 'graduated' to NASA HPDE3 and JTI Intermediate 2. Point being, I'm still slow and have a lot to learn but I'm working the car plenty hard.

My 5 events were all at Road Atlanta, Barber, or CMP in March-July... so plenty warm.

My goal with this mod was to be able to run a "normal" DE weekend without getting the diff temp warning. In general, that means up to 5 (but usually 4) 20-25 minute sessions per day at southern tracks in the summer.

With all of that in mind, I have to give this mod a thumbs up and mission accomplished with only one caveat. I saw the warning only once, at Barber in June. This was because I ended a session, then had to go right back out 15 minutes later for a check ride. I got about 2/3 through the session before getting the warning.

It's worth noting that Barber in August was the only previous time I'd gotten the warning before this mod, so I think that it's particularly hard on the diff for my driving style.

So withe all that said this mod worked for me. I'm able to do a full day at Road Altanta in July with a "normal" amount of cooldown (45 minutes maybe?) and have no issues. Highest I ever saw was 265 degrees. I consider it to be a good value at the price I paid and totally worth it to avoid the complexity and expense of the FTBR cooler kit.

If I had more money or time this winter, I might have just gone straight to the cooler kit. Or, if I know I'd eventually want to really build this car out for TT or something. For my goals right now, the car is at the perfect "arrive and drive" sweet-spot between street and track. Swap seats, swap wheels, swap pads, and hit the track or reverse it and take a nice Sunday drive.

For that, this was a great mod for the way I'm using my car.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to see the cover achieves your goals on the various track layouts at hot temperatures! :)

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Is the diff temp warning only on the PP1/PP2 cars ? The non-PP cars don't have differential temp sensor or gauges to show the differential temperatures, so will the cluster still show warnings on non-PP cars ?

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Is the diff temp warning only on the PP1/PP2 cars ? The non-PP cars don't have differential temp sensor or gauges to show the differential temperatures, so will the cluster still show warnings on non-PP cars ?
How can it? If there is no sensor, there is no temp to display, and hence no warning either.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
How can it? If there is no sensor, there is no temp to display, and hence no warning either.
makes sense, thanks. I was only doing small tracks and autocross events so far and the sessions are mostly 15-20 mins max. I'm now trying to think of a solution to monitor the diff temps since I plan on going to bigger tracks next year.

Any GT folks on here without PP, any ideas?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I had a 2016 GT without the sensor. 20 min sessions were okay but the diff slowly got hotter throughout the day.

I came up with a plan. At my "pit stall", I parked in backwards, then set two wheel chocks behind the rear tires, and then pushed a Kobalt battery shop fan forward until it almost touched the diff.

After each session I had to get out to turn on the fan and then back into the chocks. At the start of the next session I had to pull forward and get out to turn off the fan before continuing to the track.

I had a temp sticker on the diff too. It never registered higher than 260.

I display axle, trans, and cyl head temps on track day.

My next event is 20min sessions with a final one hour open session. I plan to see how long it takes to reach the red line on the gauge in that final session.

Meanwhile I'm looking at installing the MMR diff cooler kit.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Another player in the game. Thanks for that. They are only charging a small premium over the cost of parts. Be nice to hear some reviews from them. FTBR has some real world use cases already but this is first I've heard about the MMR kit. Then again I'm not the most active forum member.

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
didn't I post 3 links to temp stickers earlier in this thread?
went through this thread, I didn't find any links from you. probably different one maybe ?

I was thinking if get the OEM diff sensor (also swapping to a new PP) and pigtail connector, is there a possibility to tap into existing wiring and maybe active the guage through ForScan ?

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
I display axle, trans, and cyl head temps on track day.

How are you displaying the axle and trans temps ? Do you have aftermarket gauges

The MMR looks identical to the FTB kit and significantly cheaper. Thanks for this, if you end up installing it, provide us updates :)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
went through this thread, I didn't find any links from you. probably different one maybe ?

I was thinking if get the OEM diff sensor (also swapping to a new PP) and pigtail connector, is there a possibility to tap into existing wiring and maybe active the guage through ForScan ?
If you have the digi dash you can activate the gauge - we have to do this on the euro spec cars as they have the sensor and they use the value to trigger a limp mode, but they don’t give us the gauge as a standard option on the dash.

I can’t help you with regards to the wiring sorry.

WD :like:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
How are you displaying the axle and trans temps ? Do you have aftermarket gauges

The MMR looks identical to the FTB kit and significantly cheaper. Thanks for this, if you end up installing it, provide us updates :)
I don't have all the answers. Which is why I go to 6g forum!

I heard about MMR option here. They don't tap the diff cover for an extra inlet port. So they charge $700 bc there is no diff cover provided. It's an easier install.

The DIY route runs almost $500 but there is more fabrication involved. I don't mind the extra $200 for the R&D with MMR.

I too thought the FTBR was high and it just didn't seem like a new diff cover was needed.

Here is my display for track day.

20210722_153720.jpg

AZHowln50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 10 Speed Auto
I just called MMR and this is for cars with sensor, you will not need to buy cover. They also have an option for a billet cover but they said that is a couple of months out. That option will have heat sinks to further increase cooler.

I don't have all the answers. Which is why I go to 6g forum!

I heard about MMR option here. They don't tap the diff cover for an extra inlet port. So they charge $700 bc there is no diff cover provided. It's an easier install.

The DIY route runs almost $500 but there is more fabrication involved. I don't mind the extra $200 for the R&D with MMR.

I too thought the FTBR was high and it just didn't seem like a new diff cover was needed.

Here is my display for track day.

20210722_153720.jpg
Sponsored