Rear Camber Settings

dtheo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Buyer
Currently I have 325 rear tires in the rear, it came that way. Rear tires stick out just a tad and I'd like to adjust the rear camber slightly negative to tuck it in just a tad. Has anyone had their rear camber adjusted for such dilhemma?
Sponsored

webspoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Code Orange
What wheels do you have on the rear? oem? Offset matters. You can go to the 2+ degree range, but need to watch the clearance of the tire to the rear upper shock mount. That is the inside limit.

I have 325/20's on my car, with around 2.7 degrees negative, on 43 offset. I only have 4-5mm of clearance to the shock mount. On the fender side it just tucks.

OP
OP
dtheo

dtheo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Buyer
What wheels do you have on the rear? oem? Offset matters. You can go to the 2+ degree range, but need to watch the clearance of the tire to the rear upper shock mount. That is the inside limit.

I have 325/20's on my car, with around 2.7 degrees negative, on 43 offset. I only have 4-5mm of clearance to the shock mount. On the fender side it just tucks.
Factory stock CF rims with Michelin Sport Cup 2's

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The rear camber is adjustable stock from factory, and more negative camber will help tuck the top of the rear tires.

Use the minimum. More rear camber beyond ~2 deg may start to negatively impact traction, and mind anything on the inside of the wheel which might rub.

OP
OP
dtheo

dtheo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Buyer
The rear camber is adjustable stock from factory, and more negative camber will help tuck the top of the rear tires.

Use the minimum. More rear camber beyond ~2 deg may start to negatively impact traction, and mind anything on the inside of the wheel which might rub.
great advice! do you think if i take it to dealership and tell them this, this should be something they can perform?

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
great advice! do you think if i take it to dealership and tell them this, this should be something they can perform?
Normally, yes, they're certainly capable of doing that.. However, I don't know the monkeys at your specific dealership and I never had the patience with the dealers, especially when deviating from the manufacturer alignment specs.

I usually take my car to the best alignment places I can find which will do an alignment to my specs, so that's usually race or high end performance car shops. Might cost more, but the good shops have a reputation to uphold, so the quality of work is usually better.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A couple of things to know before you start your journey to higher rear camber...

- adjusting rear camber on an S550 Mustang is challenging. It's a bolt sliding in a slot way up inside on the rear subframe. You might get some "it can't be done" or "you have to buy an adjustable camber arm" responses. Be prepared.

- it looks like you have a GT350R. If so, the max camber in the owner's manual is -1.6 degrees, and if that doesn't sound like enough, the full-race FP350S built by Ford Performance comes with -1.75 degrees, and it's adjustment maxes out at -2.0.

I can't explain the second point, because most other S550's, including the non-R GT350, have -2.2 as their max rear camber. Nonetheless, you might get some pushback on going over 2 degrees, or it might cause some kind of problem. For instance, it could be that the tire sidewall hits the upper shock mount or the magride connector with the wider R tires and rims. I don't know - I'm just putting it out there so you don't get any surprises.

So, with that, good luck on getting your problem solved...

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Shelby's use a different knuckle than the Mustang. That probably explains the discrepancy of camber range between the two.

I don't understand your comment about adjustments as "challenging." It would be difficult to make it any easier. You loosen (not even remove) a single nut and move the inner pivot. A moderately well trained chimp could do it.

Dealers generally won't set an alignment out of spec, and neither will 'brand name' tire stores. You'll probably have to find a private shop or do it yourself.

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Shelby's use a different knuckle than the Mustang. That probably explains the discrepancy of camber range between the two.

I don't understand you're comment about adjustments as "challenging." It would be difficult to make it any easier. You loosen (not even remove) a single nut and move the inner pivot. A moderately well trained chimp could do it.

Dealers generally won't set an alignment out of spec, and neither will 'brand name' tire stores. You'll probably have to find a private shop or do it yourself.
I'm glad you found it easy when you did it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Is it or is it not 1 bolt? Quit being a bitch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dtheo

dtheo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Buyer
Good points folks, appreciate the input. Didn't know the R had a -1.6 max setting, good to know. I think my worry is that the dealership is going to eff-up and not know proper settings or other issues it could cause like what JAJ said about potential rubbing on the inside if done wrong. I will schedule a meeting with the dealership and see what they say and report back, with pics. lol

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Not quite what you might be looking for but I run 20x11.5 ET61 wheels with GT500-spec PS4S 315/30/20 tires on the back of my 2020 350R. at 1.6 deg negative camber with zero issues. So my wheels sit 5mm further inboard than the OE ET56 wheels. I suspect that your 325s on the stock wheels wouldn't be a problem at all at 1.6 neg.

My dealership has an old timer doing alignments and he did an incredible job adjusting the suspension to the recommended track specs. The car drives beautifully, doesn't pull or tramline. I even drove the car from Texas to California and back last summer and wouldn't change a thing.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That's a great find.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not quite what you might be looking for but I run 20x11.5 ET61 wheels with GT500-spec PS4S 315/30/20 tires on the back of my 2020 350R. at 1.6 deg negative camber with zero issues. So my wheels sit 5mm further inboard than the OE ET56 wheels. I suspect that your 325s on the stock wheels wouldn't be a problem at all at 1.6 neg.

My dealership has an old timer doing alignments and he did an incredible job adjusting the suspension to the recommended track specs. The car drives beautifully, doesn't pull or tramline. I even drove the car from Texas to California and back last summer and wouldn't change a thing.
Back in the 2018 track season, I ran a set of Pirelli Trofeo R's. The rears were 325/30x19 on OEM 19x11 ET62 rear wheels. Those things were really wide. Even with only -1.2 camber, they touched the upper shock mount. I swapped the rear studs for a set of front studs and ran a 7mm spacer (out to ET55, more or less the same as the OEM R rear rim offset) and it was perfect. Didn't hit the fender, didn't hit the shock mount. Tires were great to drive on too.

I also agree with you about the alignment - if you get the rear alignment essentially perfect, tramlining is greatly reduced. The front alignment has to be right too, but the rear has a surprisingly large effect.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You loosen (not even remove) a single nut and move the inner pivot. A moderately well trained chimp could do it.
Tell you haven't had to adjust the camber without telling me you haven't had to adjust the camber 😜

It's not that hard to make it easier. Some plates with different holes would make it pretty easy. The SPL camber arm is great and super easy to adjust. https://kennybrown.com/products/mustang-rear-camber-arm

Also, if it was so easy a trained chimp could do it, the dealerships would be hiring the chimps and paying in bananas
Sponsored