Rattle update 2018 GT

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Sounds like a stock GT exhaust to me. After all this time and effort why did they suddenly find the converters had been gutted?
My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't they have to go looking for that in the exhaust? I also fail to see how good of a job they did gutting them would preclude the car throwing a CEL since there will still be some unburnt fuel getting past them that should screw up the rear 02's.

Only way to prevent that would be with a tune IMO.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't they have to go looking for that in the exhaust? I also fail to see how good of a job they did gutting them would preclude the car throwing a CEL since there will still be some unburnt fuel getting past them that should screw up the rear 02's.

Only way to prevent that would be with a tune IMO.
I agree - but want to keep warranty so im not digging anymore..lol. all i know any changes were from before i owned it,it always sounded and drove like a stock mustang. this is all just getting strange.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I agree - but want to keep warranty so im not digging anymore..lol. all i know any changes were from before i owned it,it always sounded and drove like a stock mustang. this is all just getting strange.
Oh yeah I wasn't suggesting you rock the boat just thinking out loud amongst ourselves. Good plan though just get the car back and get on with it.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah I wasn't suggesting you rock the boat just thinking out loud amongst ourselves. Good plan though just get the car back and get on with it.
i really think they just wanted to get any $$ out of me they can, as i think about it they really stressed if it leaves w/o cats it would void warranty. ive not paid a dime to them so far so im wondering if they just wanna save some face and try to get something out of me. i dont think they planned on me contacting other dealer and making them pay for them since they sold a car w/gutted cats, which is not legal here in Tn. Might just be my paranoia... idk

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
i really think they just wanted to get any $$ out of me they can, as i think about it they really stressed if it leaves w/o cats it would void warranty. ive not paid a dime to them so far so im wondering if they just wanna save some face and try to get something out of me. i dont think they planned on me contacting other dealer and making them pay for them since they sold a car w/gutted cats, which is not legal here in Tn. Might just be my paranoia... idk
And here I am thinking the first dealer sold you fully functional cats and the dealer where you're getting repaired is the one trying to save themselves. Maybe buddy buddy with the other dealer so they can make it look however it needs to get you out of their hair. Listen to audio of cats that have been removed, sounds a lot different IMO. Although hard to tell with other mods most do with removing cats... I hope it continues to work out in your favor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
And here I am thinking the first dealer sold you fully functional cats and the dealer where you're getting repaired is the one trying to save themselves. Maybe buddy buddy with the other dealer so they can make it look however it needs to get you out of their hair. Listen to audio of cats that have been removed, sounds a lot different IMO. Although hard to tell with other mods most do with removing cats... I hope it continues to work out in your favor.
The other dealer is even worse... were not going to talk about them. Im happy they are paying for the new cats and ill leave at that. Lets just say ill never go to that dealer again.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The other dealer is even worse... were not going to talk about them. Im happy they are paying for the new cats and ill leave at that. Lets just say ill never go to that dealer again.
Sounds like both may deserve a wide birth. I guess if the newly owned one is trying to do the right thing, they can get a pass but I generally dislike dealers anyway. Always stresses me through the roof when something happens and I can't fix myself.

My mini started off visiting the dealer and it was great. After they changed leadership, I stopped going there and started wrenching myself. Even replaced the turbo in it myself. Bought the Mustang and it's seen the dealer 1 time for warranty work to have interior panels realigned and properly routing a cable under those panels. Other than that, all maintenance has been done by me. 23k now and as I near some millage milestones, I stress about taking it in to have things looked at just in case there are other warranty issues down the line.

Reactions: Ock
OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like both may deserve a wide birth. I guess if the newly owned one is trying to do the right thing, they can get a pass but I generally dislike dealers anyway. Always stresses me through the roof when something happens and I can't fix myself.

My mini started off visiting the dealer and it was great. After they changed leadership, I stopped going there and started wrenching myself. Even replaced the turbo in it myself. Bought the Mustang and it's seen the dealer 1 time for warranty work to have interior panels realigned and properly routing a cable under those panels. Other than that, all maintenance has been done by me. 23k now and as I near some millage milestones, I stress about taking it in to have things looked at just in case there are other warranty issues down the line.
I agree... if i can id rather do repairs. i need to work on my c10 today... AS far as the dealer i am going to trust them for now, they could have stopped then and there and reported the cat issue and been done so i give them that. ive been talking with the GM of the dealer and going to try to build a relationship that works for us all... i tend to buy a lot of cars... and wife wants a Bronco... so we will see how it goes.

GWraith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Phase 2 Roushcharged
Spoke to them more about the cats, they said that it was professionally gutted, meaning it would not have thrown a code. They did not want to talk about whether the cats were issue whole time or if it caused the damage, idk how it could have caused issue but at this point who knows. Dealer i bought car from is covering cats...
They are going to flash it to stock tune to make sure. To think...if they actually caught this at start and voided my warranty how much more id be screwed...
If it doesn't throw a code and was not custom tuned then there is like .01% change the cats caused motor failure.

Too many other things are monitored that affect timing and afr that would need to be broke as well.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If it doesn't throw a code and was not custom tuned then there is like .01% change the cats caused motor failure.

Too many other things are monitored that affect timing and afr that would need to be broke as well.
i agree - i dont think its what caused it. i do wonder if it was the cats rattling and not the engine... we will prob never know...

Sponsored

GWraith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Phase 2 Roushcharged
i agree - i dont think its what caused it. i do wonder if it was the cats rattling and not the engine... we will prob never know...
It is cool Ford is honoring warranty on a pre-owned car most dealerships these days would laugh if you didn't buy pre-owned from Ford themselves and pay for that extended bullshit.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It is cool Ford is honoring warranty on a pre-owned car most dealerships these days would laugh if you didn't buy pre-owned from Ford themselves and pay for that extended bullshit.
it is still within factory warranty - it had 11k miles when i took it in.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yeah all the COVID cash and now various self engineered shortages "unilateral contract terminations" many are getting very arrogant....people remember and spread the word on social so every person they piss off they lost 20-50 potential customers.
im confused? ive never seen a dealer reject a factory warranty? within normal parameters that is.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Just called... it is done. they are test driving and making sure. I have to wait for the other dealer to pay for new cats/code flash... They said i should get it today.... can not wait... /finally

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Just called... it is done. they are test driving and making sure. I have to wait for the other dealer to pay for new cats/code flash... They said i should get it today.... can not wait... /finally
That's awesome!! I hope it's all squared away and as perfect as it can be. The speed they acquired and replace the supposed gutted cats has me smelling more fish though. Were they ever really gone? Again, not worth worrying about if the car is good to go and you're happy, just a dumb guy typing his thoughts on the internet lol.
Sponsored

• Haha