Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
I cannot remember, did you buy it used?
I did... Looking to see what i can do. from what i see here in tn it is def illegal for a dealer to sell a car like this, but wont they just say it wasnt like that when we sold it... total bs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
11k miles on it when i bought.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I know Ford Customer Service has been less than helpful, but maybe worth a call. U did nothing to void the warranty personally and it was sold by a Ford dealer.

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
So if your cats were gutted how did you not get a CEL? Was it tuned prior to your purchase? I'm surprised Ford did anything at all if they detected a modified PCM.

Sound like the prior owner made some modifications that didn't do the car any good and you are left to get straightened out through the warranty process. Now that Ford knows the cats were gutted, good luck with future claims.

Not sure if it would make sense to file a claim against the dealer that sold you this car as major systems had been modified without disclosure to you. Did the selling dealer violate any implied warranties?

Good luck with it when you get it back.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I know Ford Customer Service has been less than helpful, but maybe worth a call. U did nothing to void the warranty personally and it was sold by a Ford dealer.
it was actually another dealer... lol. gonna start that fight with them now. it was certified used from them so it should

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
So if your cats were gutted how did you not get a CEL? Was it tuned prior to your purchase? I'm surprised Ford did anything at all if they detected a modified PCM.

Sound like the prior owner made some modifications that didn't do the car any good and you are left to get straightened out through the warranty process. Now that Ford knows the cats were gutted, good luck with future claims.

Not sure if it would make sense to file a claim against the dealer that sold you this car as major systems had been modified without disclosure to you. Did the selling dealer violate any implied warranties?

Good luck with it when you get it back.
CEL? Nothing was said about tune/cats anything at time of sale. GM of the dealer i bought at is looking into it and calling me back. He is new... i wonder why... This is def illegal in tn to sell a car with no cats. He just called and is contacting other dealer - sounds like they may take care of it... this is a fucking nightmare... never used again... ever. I looked over the car when i bought, no signs of anything like this, it was clean.

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
CEL? Nothing was said about tune/cats anything at time of sale. GM of the dealer i bought at is looking into it and calling me back. He is new... i wonder why... This is def illegal in tn to sell a car with no cats. He just called and is contacting other dealer - sounds like they may take care of it... this is a fucking nightmare... never used again... ever. I looked over the car when i bought, no signs of anything like this, it was clean.
CEL = Check Engine Light. A gutted cat on a stock tune is going to do weird stuff to the O2's and fuel trims. The downstream O2 sensors would detect unburnt fuel and lean out the mixture to compensate. I think you would at least pop a P420 cat efficiency code.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
CEL = Check Engine Light. A gutted cat on a stock tune is going to do weird stuff to the O2's and fuel trims. The downstream O2 sensors would detect unburnt fuel and lean out the mixture to compensate. I think you would at least pop a P420 cat efficiency code.
No codes - no lights nothing to indicate any issues. it def didnt smell/sound like it had no cats...

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
How loud was it when you bought it? Any chance the cats were gutted over the last 4 months? Glad it sounds like the dealers are talking and I hope they reach some sort of arrangement. New OEM exhaust? It wont have a tune with the new long block to support gutted cats or any other potential mods you don't know about. I think they should return everything to OEM personally but I know that's a stretch with the way this saga has gone so far unfortunately.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
How loud was it when you bought it? Any chance the cats were gutted over the last 4 months? Glad it sounds like the dealers are talking and I hope they reach some sort of arrangement. New OEM exhaust? It wont have a tune with the new long block to support gutted cats or any other potential mods you don't know about. I think they should return everything to OEM personally but I know that's a stretch with the way this saga has gone so far unfortunately.
Its been at dealer last 4 months so unless they did it, which makes no sense. It sounded like stock mustang, the dealer i bought from has called 3 times so far, seems like they will cover but idk yet. I dont think it had a tune, it seemed stock, fast but not faster than i would expect a tune. It also didnt idle funny or start funny. Seemed like stock to me. I think all they are replacing is the cats.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Its been at dealer last 4 months so unless they did it, which makes no sense. It sounded like stock mustang, the dealer i bought from has called 3 times so far, seems like they will cover but idk yet. I dont think it had a tune, it seemed stock, fast but not faster than i would expect a tune. It also didnt idle funny or start funny. Seemed like stock to me. I think all they are replacing is the cats.
I know in WA there was a run of people stealing cats for a while to sell the guts to scrap yards. Depending on where it was in the dealer lot... Also because of the fiasco you been dealing with, wouldn't be surprised if one of the now laid off or fired previous employees did something. This is my zero faith in humanity talking though, hopefully nothing super sketchy like that went down.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Take a breath, you have been through a lot. Sounds like its going in the right direction.

• Haha
Reactions: Ock
OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I know in WA there was a run of people stealing cats for a while to sell the guts to scrap yards. Depending on where it was in the dealer lot... Also because of the fiasco you been dealing with, wouldn't be surprised if one of the now laid off or fired previous employees did something. This is my zero faith in humanity talking though, hopefully nothing super sketchy like that went down.
From what dealer said the cats were there, but hollowed out, he said they did a "good" job, meaning it would be really hard to know unless u took them off and looked in. There are no emissions tests here in Tn so i would have never known.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Take a breath, you have been through a lot. Sounds like its going in the right direction.
lol im loosing my shit... its just frustrating...

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Its just not the call you wanna get 1st thing mon morning... what is good is they didnt see it till after engine was replaced, otherwise they said it would have voided warranty... ugh
Sponsored