Rattle on driver side rear

myfirstponypp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1
Hello everyone! I have a 2020 Mustang GT Premium W/ PP1 and just hit 5k miles today :)
There seems to be some kind of rattling noise in the driver side rear above my head and it's driving me insane. Whenever I have my exhaust open (usually in track mode) and cruise around 2000-2500 I can definitely hear it. I think it's because of the vibration of the exhaust being loud, but it's still unacceptable to be consistently hearing this on a brand new car. I started hearing it around 3500 miles and have been to the dealer. They told me that the headliner was falling off and told me that there's some kind of kit to re-glue the headliner back on and they did re-glue it. Literally 5 minutes after I drove off, I started hearing it again, and it's been getting worse since. The rattle is definitely coming from the inside and nothing mechanical, but it seems to be near the C-Pillar. I might need to take it back to the dealer again, but it's very unfortunate that this is happening. I love everything else about the car, but this rattle doesn't seem to go away. When I hit it a few times, it does seem to get a bit better but after a few minutes, it comes back again. It's not super loud or anything, pretty subtle and it's not easy to pick up on video, but it's definitely there as it is right behind me.

Has anyone had this issue with their mustang or familiar with it? I would really appreciate any kind of information to track this down and maybe even a possible fix?
Thank you so much!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Don't glue the headliner.... ugh....

The headliner is held into place by magnets. There's also harnesses up there too. There's also clips or screws securing the large door weather seal that goes from the A to B pillars.

Most likely there is a harness or magnet that is loose and causing the noise.

Check this thread it may have some info for you:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-side-help-needed-solved.147806/#post-3021562

Nukebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
There are side air bag assemblies in the 'C' pillars and they can vibrate against the trim or surrounding metal. You can do a generic search and find the ways to fix this, doesn't look like too bad of a job to fix. My 2019 GT rattled like crazy on certain pavements.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
OP
OP
myfirstponypp1

myfirstponypp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1
Any luck fixing this?
Nope. Never got around to fix it, but it has gone away after a few thousand miles. My local shop that I take all my cars to have told me in the beginning that the chassis could take some time to readjust and I have no idea if that could possibly even be real, but it's gone now. I am now at 24k miles and been happy with it!
Sponsored