Rattle Driving Me Crazy

Mariner46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible: Recently appeared rattle in the passenger side dash when riding on rough pavement. Sounds like coming from above and forward of the glovebox. Have had glovebox off, dash trim pieces off, interior air filter parts are solid. Checked under hood in passenger side of engine compartment, nothing loose. I would hate to go to dealer and pay exorbitant labor fees for them to investigate. Anyone have ideas, suggestions, etc.? Merry Christmas
Sponsored

Mizzle51

Green Machine
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Prem PP1 Black
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible: Recently appeared rattle in the passenger side dash when riding on rough pavement. Sounds like coming from above and forward of the glovebox. Have had glovebox off, dash trim pieces off, interior air filter parts are solid. Checked under hood in passenger side of engine compartment, nothing loose. I would hate to go to dealer and pay exorbitant labor fees for them to investigate. Anyone have ideas, suggestions, etc.? Merry Christmas
I could never get the dashboard rattles from the glovebox area and headlight switch to stop in my 2015. However when I traded up to a 21, no rattles. :)

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Ok, this might help. Check your manual tray inside the glove box. In my car after some time the tray started to deform and sag around the sides. The quick fix was to remove the manual from the tray and leave it in the glove box itself. But after some time a faint rattle started from that area again. So, I bent back the plastic tray to more of how it was from factory( I bent the sides of it upwards) and the noise is gone.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Ok, this might help. Check your manual tray inside the glove box. In my car after some time the tray started to deform and sag around the sides. The quick fix was to remove the manual from the tray and leave it in the glove box itself. But after some time a faint rattle started from that area again. So, I bent back the plastic tray to more of how it was from factory( I bent the sides of it upwards) and the noise is gone.
I finally,found mine
It was in an,in an un attached seat belt bucklekle.now I always connect the seat belt on,passenger side.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I finally,found mine
It was in an,in an un attached seat belt bucklekle.now I always connect the seat belt on,passenger side.
I had that buckle insert (or whatever you call it) in my 2016 vert hitting the middle console, black thick rubber band fixed it. In the GT the passenger buckle sometimes starts hitting the middle pillar, have to turn it and that fixes it.

OP
OP
Mariner46

Mariner46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Tried all the suggestions but unfortunately the rattle persists. Still sounds like it is in the dash forward of glove box. Very frustrating, but the hunt continues. Wishing you all a Very Happy and Healthy New Year.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
There's a trim right up against the windshield on the inside that is also prone to make a lot of noises. Have someone put pressure on that panel and see if the rattle goes away...

OP
OP
Mariner46

Mariner46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
There's a trim right up against the windshield on the inside that is also prone to make a lot of noises. Have someone put pressure on that panel and see if the rattle goes away...
Thanks, will give it a try.

Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Maybe a video of your rattle would help better to identify the cause

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 1966 Cobra Replica
I had a similar issue with my 2016 GT. After many hours of working on it and being a vendor, I was able to get into the plant and talk to the workers on the line. One worker recalled an issue Ford had with the windshield washer bottle neck hitting an inside metal piece and the only way to solve the problem was to install a washer on the lower of the three bottle fasteners to force the neck away from the metal piece. This noise transmitted from the front of the car all the way back through the dash. Once I put the washer in place, the problem went away. Shortly after the early 2016 MY cars, Ford changed the design of the bottle and I have no issues with my 2021 GT.

OP
OP
Mariner46

Mariner46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Well, the mystery of the passenger side rattle has been solved. And, the winner is a response from "dgcomps" who deserves a hardy thank you and a great "atta boy" Seems after installing some nice chrome filler caps the cap for the washer fluid neck was tapping on the front end of side frame. Amazingly, this tapping noise transitioned aft through the frame and sounded much louder in the dash. Installed some temporary press on felt tabs to the side of the chrome cap and the rattle is gone. Now the process of finding a more permanent, professional looking solution. Attached some photos to help everyone visualize the problem. Thanks again to everyone who gave their time to help with this dilemma . In one of the photos you can see the rub
IMG_4351.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
mark on the frame.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good to hear the rattle was found... chalk another up on the "rattle is gone" list...
Sponsored