Sponsored

Raceseng Tow Hook for the GT500

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
EDITED TO NOTE - The threads used on the Focus RS are slightly smaller than those on the GT500. The Focus tug shaft threads into the GT500 but isn't correct. It uses an RD16 thread and the GT500 uses an RD18 thread. The issue is that the RD 16 and 18 can have a similar TPI count or pitch but not be the right fit.

Raceseng had sent me an email a while back regarding this thread. Just a mild "thanks" of sorts. There was no mention of a thread issue based on what I had ordered. Well, I got another email a couple of days ago saying someone there picked up on the error I made. Note in the writeup where I mentioned something about the thread fitment seeming odd. This thread isn't like normal SAE or metric thread where when it's wrong, it's wrong. In this case, the RD16 thread goes into the RD18 nut in the bumper easy enough and then gets tight just as it bottoms out. Regardless - it isn't right. It was Jaryd at Raceseng that sent me the email and I sent him a response but haven't heard back yet. Bottom line, I erred, and anyone that used the Focus RS tug shaft should contact Raceseng about acquiring the same length but with an RD18 thread.
10/07/2020

While the 2020 GT500 includes a pretty robust hook I wanted something with a bit more style that I could fold down when not in use so as to minimize projection. You can't do that with the stock welded assembly. Not much of a fan of ZL1 Add-ons, I looked elsewhere. When I saw that Raceseng had their own version I figured I'd give it a try. I don't plan on anything more than a random track day here or there so I wanted a hook in black to better blend with the stock trim.

Here it is next to the stock threaded hook.

IMG_7872-X3.jpg

I had an extra bumper cover for the hook hole and I drilled it using a unibit. It isn't painted but is close enough for me in this case as it is all function over form. Hole is oblong as the shaft comes through on a skew.

IMG_7874-X2.jpg

IMG_7875-X2.jpg

So a quick look at the stock hook. Keep this in mind - reverse thread.

IMG_7876-XL.jpg

IMG_7878-X3.jpg

Again, I have no doubt the stocker is strong enough and ready for duty. In this case, I want to leave the hook in place so being able to fold the Raceseng made it appeal more to me than this. Pull tested and aesthetically pleasing.

IMG_7879-X3.jpg

IMG_7880-X3.jpg

I noticed the sort of unfinished stock hook had a tight fit as the finish on the threads was a little rough. Raceseng's threads were a bit cleaner and as such it didn't impart the same amount of friction when installing. So I used a few drops of medium thread locker so I can remove the shaft down the road if I want to.

IMG_7881-X3.jpg

IMG_7883-X2.jpg

IMG_7884-X2.jpg

IMG_7885-X2.jpg

Two things. Note the much shorter profile when folded - all win. And I flipped the hook over so you don't see Raceseng's logo. It's well done but I'm a fan of a cleaner look here.

IMG_7886-X2.jpg

IMG_7893-X3.jpg

IMG_7889-X2.jpg

I adjusted the stainless cap screw that runs through the hook for a bit of tension such that it requires a fair amount of grip and pressure to move it up or down. Stops any sway or movement from airflow at speed.

IMG_7896-X2.jpg

IMG_7901-X2.jpg

I can't comment on weight because it doesn't matter much to me with this mod. The ring is 6061-T6 so I'd assume it to be close to stock. And if it matters, the small button head screw you see on the underside of the end of the shaft is for a GoPro mount that Raceseng sells separately.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you would like your cover painted, send it to me. I just got done painting mine. (adhesion promoter, base coat of absolute black, several coats of clear). It came out real nice. So nice, that it will make the rest of the bumper cover look like crap.

Edit:
Its a shame that you cant get your friends (MSI, MGW) to produce titanium versions of these. This car is heavy enough.... weight is weight and you loose it where you can.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I sure wish you folks would stop spending my money like this. I got one in black. I figure for track days, I can just add some red vinyl over the hook.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you would like your cover painted, send it to me.

Edit:
Its a shame that you cant get your friends (MSI, MGW) to produce titanium versions of these. This car is heavy enough.... weight is weight and you loose it where you can.
Thanks for the offer Tom. I'm ok with the unpainted cover as I don't have to worry about any nicks, etc, and I would with a finished piece. With the ring in place it is mostly covered up too.

I could do a hook but to be honest, my heart isn't in the hassle. Having handled a number of them from different manufacturers I know what I like and what I don't. The Raceseng could be improved but it should get the job done as-is. As to doing one in titanium, I just don't see the benefit of a ring in titanium when the aluminum ring is already pretty light. Nice for an all out effort where every ounce matters but with this behemoth, meh. It would be like a grotesquely obese woman trimming her toenails before stepping on a scale in an attempt to bring her weight down.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Tob: You one-up yourself every time and this was no exception...SUPERBLY organized and informative post. MOF, I ordered one.

Now, might you or someone else have the part number for that little bumper cover so I don't have to punch a hole in the original?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tob: You one-up yourself every time and this was no exception...SUPERBLY organized and informative post. MOF, I ordered one.

Now, might you or someone else have the part number for that little bumper cover so I don't have to punch a hole in the original?
There he is..... welcome back Kotter

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Here ya go. Drill your hole and send it to me to be painted.

20200910_211216.jpg

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
LOL, tug shaft. I chuckled at that.

Great find BTW.

Now that it looks like I'm getting my car much sooner than later, I guess the spending can start on much needed items for it. Considering I already have the custom plate for it, what's another $175 for a car I don't have yet.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
LOL, tug shaft. I chuckled at that.

Great find BTW.

Now that it looks like I'm getting my car much sooner than later, I guess the spending can start on much needed items for it. Considering I already have the custom plate for it, what's another $175 for a car I don't have yet.
When you start buying signature wheels for your car 9 months before delivery you have fully committed to spending money on the car you don’t have. The tow hook is just a drop! Go for it.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

20200910_211216.jpg
KB could order it and have it shipped directly to you...I have done that before.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)

Muchas gracias, Tom. OEMPartsFast had it so it's on the way but it won't arrive until the end of the month. Thanks for the offer of painting, I believe I will take you up on it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
KB could order it and have it shipped directly to you
Well Jim, that will teach me to read ALL the new posts before spending money but thank you for the offer. NBD though, the piece of plastic was a mere twenty-five bones. Crazy but palatable.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Muchas gracias, Tom. OEMPartsFast had it so it's on the way but it won't arrive until the end of the month. Thanks for the offer of painting, I believe I will take you up on it.
Excellent! I won't charge you, lol
Sponsored