Quiet Exhaust with Headers

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Has anyone added headers to a PP1 car with active exhaust? And kept the exhaust sound close to stock? I would like to add LTH headers to compliment my Lund tune. I don’t know whether to leave my resonator and use my active exhaust settings or to add midpipes with cats or small resonators and main resonator. I’m old and don’t want the loudness. I run my active exhaust on normal and sometimes sport.

If anyone has any combinations that have worked for them please let me know.

Thanks.
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Has anyone added headers to a PP1 car with active exhaust? And kept the exhaust sound close to stock? I would like to add LTH headers to compliment my Lund tune. I don’t know whether to leave my resonator and use my active exhaust settings or to add midpipes with cats or small resonators and main resonator. I’m old and don’t want the loudness. I run my active exhaust on normal and sometimes sport.

If anyone has any combinations that have worked for them please let me know.

Thanks.
The MagnaFlow Tru X completely kills the volume. For some it's too quiet but if wanting to add LTH and keep it calm it could be an option.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Catless longtubes mated to oem catback does add raspyness. The way i can describe this is too much flow for the stock mufflers
Catback or aftermarket resonator can help, but the culprit is most likely the 2 big cat converter gone

It flows so much that it bottleneck into the mufflers, and the sound gets a bit messy.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I agree with OP re not wanting the noise, just extra performance.

I've just picked up LTH and having them ceramic coated now. Then I'll have them installed along with high flow cats, centre pipes with resonators into the standard mufflers at the back. Now, mine is a 2016 so doesn't have your active exhaust of course.

We'll see what it sounds like, and I can always add aftermarket mufflers later - but only if they're not too loud.

I'll be able to report back in a month or so.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I agree with OP re not wanting the noise, just extra performance.

I've just picked up LTH and having them ceramic coated now. Then I'll have them installed along with high flow cats, centre pipes with resonators into the standard mufflers at the back. Now, mine is a 2016 so doesn't have your active exhaust of course.

We'll see what it sounds like, and I can always add aftermarket mufflers later - but only if they're not too loud.

I'll be able to report back in a month or so.
That’s great. Please provide an update. I’m wondering if 1.75 diameter would be better than 1 and 7/8 diameter since stock exhaust can’t handle the flow. Local mustang expert said to go with 1 and 7/8 especially if I ever go with whipple.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You're doing and planning some curious mods to be playing the keep it quiet song. I understand where you're going with it but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do what's on your menu and then cripple with being quiet. Loud doesn't equal perf but...you get the point.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Magnaflow tru-x

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
TX-Ripper,

So the Magna flow tru x would replace my stock resonator? So I would run the LTH to cat less midpipes and then to Magna flow tru-x?

Any thoughts on LTH diameter? I don’t think I’ll ever go whipple so I’m wondering if 1.75 diameter would be better for more low end torque.

Thanks

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TX-Ripper,

So the Magna flow tru x would replace my stock resonator? So I would run the LTH to cat less midpipes and then to Magna flow tru-x?

Any thoughts on LTH diameter? I don’t think I’ll ever go whipple so I’m wondering if 1.75 diameter would be better for more low end torque.

Thanks
Yes tru-x replaces the stock resonator.

Cj pony parts has an exclusive “stock replacement “ or buy there universal and weld it in.

1 3/4 heads work great, kooks even steps theirs 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 now.

lth is a good brand, but I would look into ultimate header if i was looking today...

I’m running stock manifolds to cj pony magniflow tru-x and it really tamed it (stock active cat back)

Last edited:

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Magnaflow tru-x
The MagnaFlow Tru X completely kills the volume. For some it's too quiet but if wanting to add LTH and keep it calm it could be an option.
I agree. Did the Magnaflow TruX when I went catless LTH and it is indeed quiet. Too quiet for me so it was removed in short order. It does do a good job of removing extra rasp introduced by the LTH's as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Yes tru-x replaces the stock resonator.

Cj pony parts has an exclusive “stock replacement “ or buy there universal and weld it in.

1 3/4 heads work great, kooks even steps theirs 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 now.

lth is a good brand, but I would look into ultimate header if i was looking today...

I’m running stock manifolds and a mak offroad to cj pony magniflow tru-x and it really tamed it (stock active cat back)
TX-Ripper,

Did you consider headers? Or are you thinking cat less midpipes do a good enough job in picking up some power?

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
That’s great. Please provide an update. I’m wondering if 1.75 diameter would be better than 1 and 7/8 diameter since stock exhaust can’t handle the flow. Local mustang expert said to go with 1 and 7/8 especially if I ever go with whipple.
I've gone for 1&3/4" headers knowing I'll stay NA. 3" collectors into the 100 cell cats.

I'm about to order the centre pipe which I know has an X and then two long individual resonators. Just wondering if I should instead consider the Magnaflow Tru X in 3". Not sure if it's easy to get here in Australia.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TX-Ripper,

Did you consider headers? Or are you thinking cat less midpipes do a good enough job in picking up some power?
I did headers on my whippled 2018 f150 and regret they labor for the gain.

So far I’ve gained power, not had to deal with false knock and it’s safer for 12:1 compression...

If I did headers it would be ultimate or kooks

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I am running stainless power LTH, catless with active exhaust. Was crazy loud with an X pipe. I replaced the x pipe with the magnflow true x, was super quiet at first but now that its broke in, its perfect. Still able to retain the function of the active exhaust. For instance.... When I had stock manifolds, X pipe and active I would have it in track mode and wasnt too loud. But after the LTH install and no cats with the x pipe...... Normal mode was like track mode with the x and stock manifolds times 100. LOL. I am very happy with the tru x, wasnt thrilled at first but its great now...
Sponsored