Sponsored

Keeping Exhaust quiet after headers?

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
Wondering what others have done resonator wise to keep the noise down after going to long tube headers?

Car is a 2016 and FI and only exhaust mod is 18+ active axle backs. When on track with valves open its just on the noise limit so i need to try and keep it there.

I have a set of long tubes and 100cell cats and i want to try and keep good flow but i still need to have a resonator/mufflers in the middle to keep it quiet enough.

1 7/8" headers to 3" cats, then 3" pipe/flexi to resonator then 3" down to 2.5" for the axle back.

What have others gone with, pics would be good if possible?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Add some resonators inline. They won't make a big difference in volume but enough.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Wondering what others have done resonator wise to keep the noise down after going to long tube headers?

Car is a 2016 and FI and only exhaust mod is 18+ active axle backs. When on track with valves open its just on the noise limit so i need to try and keep it there.

I have a set of long tubes and 100cell cats and i want to try and keep good flow but i still need to have a resonator/mufflers in the middle to keep it quiet enough.

1 7/8" headers to 3" cats, then 3" pipe/flexi to resonator then 3" down to 2.5" for the axle back.

im curious too, a couple YouTube videos show guys running them with the stock 15-17 mufflers they seem almost stock in terms of loudness just a little louder at idle. But youre still getting the benefits of the better scavenging and the better quality collectors. So i think running them with the factory axlebacks is a great plan.

You can also try the 2.5 version of the borla S type exhaust.

2.5 systems are typically quieter than 3in in my experience. And keep the cats. They quiet the car down somewhat and the car is just much nicer to live with day to day with cats. I decatted 2 cars before, it was fucking terrible... Makes the car smell like NOX all the time... Can cause breathing issues long term... Not worth it imho.

Dragon2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris Dunnigan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10

I used the Magnaflow resonated X pipe on my 20185 GT I had from CJpony parts with 1 7/8 headers and stock active exhaust. It wasn't as loud as my current stock setup on a 2019 GT with steeda x pipe and active exhaust. Got videos on youtube dunnigan66 user name.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Stock resonator + a conservative axleback or a conservative catback like our Street system do a great job fo keeping the volume from LTHs under control. You definitely will want to retain as much muffling ability in the post-header section of the exhaust as you can!

Sponsored

OP
OP
CraigJ

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
I did the install over Christmas.

Now have 1 7/8"headers, 100 cell cats and from 3" down to 2.5" through a Magnaflow Tru-X resonator and 18+ active axle backs.

With valves closed its just right. nice bit of noise but no drone on motorways and hardly hear it at 70/80 cruising speeds.

Valves open its bloody loud and sounds great.

Dragon2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris Dunnigan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I did the install over Christmas.

Now have 1 7/8"headers, 100 cell cats and from 3" down to 2.5" through a Magnaflow Tru-X resonator and 18+ active axle backs.

With valves closed its just right. nice bit of noise but no drone on motorways and hardly hear it at 70/80 cruising speeds.

Valves open its bloody loud and sounds great.
I had the same exact setup and your right its perfect!

Armageddon Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo 2014 Mustang GT
Stock resonator + a conservative axleback or a conservative catback like our Street system do a great job fo keeping the volume from LTHs under control. You definitely will want to retain as much muffling ability in the post-header section of the exhaust as you can!
This is good advice!
Sponsored