Question on turning in lease with aftermarket wheels

OP
OP

Ylow281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT/2018 Mustang GT
It doesn't surprise me that people modify leases, but it baffles me that those people would sell off their stock parts... especially the wheels. If you don't have the room to store it, or can't afford a storage unit, you shouldn't be swapping them off.

You must have not read my original post. I leased the car with every intention of buying it outright when the lease was over. I just wanted the cheaper lease payments for the first 3 years. I NEVER planned to turn it back in so I sold the wheels when I bought aftermarket ones. However, things changed and now I'm getting a GT. Are you trying to tell me plans never changed in your life?? Must be a boring life then.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't surprise me that people modify leases, but it baffles me that those people would sell off their stock parts... especially the wheels. If you don't have the room to store it, or can't afford a storage unit, you shouldn't be swapping them off.
My mom is planning on doing the same, but she's also in a position where she doesn't care if they charge her at the end. And like he said, if you plan on buying out the lease at the end there is no reason to not sell off the stock parts you modified.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....like he said, if you plan on buying out the lease at the end there is no reason to not sell off the stock parts you modified.
Well, sure there is. The exact position the OP is in now.

A lease is usually measured in years, no one can tell the future.

Christ, if money isn't an issue, then just tuck them away just in case. At least wait until you've actually purchased the car. And if money is an issue, you shouldn't be selling parts off a car you don't own.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
It’s unlikely that they’ll care as long as the rims are unscathed (and not flamboyant) and the tire wear is acceptable.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
You must have not read my original post. I leased the car with every intention of buying it outright when the lease was over. I just wanted the cheaper lease payments for the first 3 years. I NEVER planned to turn it back in so I sold the wheels when I bought aftermarket ones. However, things changed and now I'm getting a GT. Are you trying to tell me plans never changed in your life?? Must be a boring life then.
I don't think the issue is that things in life change. The issue is that you jumped-the-gun, and sold something you hadn't gotten around to buying quite yet.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Christ, if money isn't an issue, then just tuck them away just in case. At least wait until you've actually purchased the car. And if money is an issue, you shouldn't be selling parts off a car you don't own.
Then you end up hoarding and holding on to things far past when you should have and ultimately toss them out instead of getting anything for them.

I've got my original stock wheels piled up in my dining room, but I live alone and never eat there so it doesn't really bother anyone. If I had anyone else, I'd have gotten rid of them by now because wheels aren't exactly something you can just put under a bed.

To hold on to it you've got to rent out storage and pay for that at which point it likely comes out cheaper to just buy the wheels again anyway.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Then you end up hoarding and holding on to things far past when you should have and ultimately toss them out instead of getting anything for them......
:lol::lol::lol:

Saving yourself headache and money by saving something (ESPECIALLY when it's NOT yours to sell) is not "hoarding". Hoarding is a psychological issue.

Saving wheels to re-install to turn a lease back in is just smart.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
If it's a lease you need to revert it back to stock when you turn it in. Wheels, stereo, exhaust or whatever mods you made. That's one of the disadvantages of leasing, you're limited to what you can do to the car. Now they have a right to ask you to remove those items then charge you to revert it back to stock. To NoVaGT's point you need to cover your butt in case plans change between lease signing and taking over the purchase.

If you can float it by the post lease inspection then your golden. Sometimes a tasteful mod is a feature the dealer might be ok with but that's pretty rare. Generally it hurts resale.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
this is the fine print from a general lease agreement, look at yours, good luck.
"You agree that you will not make any changes to the Vehicle (such as adding, removing or modifying any accessories, equipment or parts) which would decrease its economic value or functional utility. All changes made to the Vehicle which cannot be removed or modified without decreasing its economic value or functional utility will become our property when such changes are originally made. "

Remember that the vehicle is not the dealers property it is the leasing companies property and the leasing company hires an independent company to inspect it, the dealer does not inspect it.

OP
OP

Ylow281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT/2018 Mustang GT
thanks melwff and others. I have a few months to try and find some exact stockers. If I don't then I guess I'll hope for the best. I've leased many vehicles and the same guy usually comes to inspect them as I do the pre inspection. He's commented many times mine are some of the cleanest turn ins he's looked at....so hopefully that helps.

Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Post a picture up here of whichever stock wheels your car had...along with a picture of what you currently have on the car, somebody might be willing to trade?

FYI - FORD wheels average $1000.00 EACH at the dealership

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Just my .02. A few years ago we had a leased Jeep. I was at the dealers and they asked if I would like a new one, prior to my lease expiring. They took the leased Jeep on a trade, paid my last payment (they basically assumed my lease) and sold me the new one. No one else was involved since they accepted it as a trade in. Check with your salesman and see if the dealer will do this. You have zero problems.

jtb4431

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, M6, Oxford White
OP I have these 19" wheels (not mine but the best image I could find online). PM me if you'd be interested in working something out if the dealer gives you a hassle.

https://goo.gl/images/GmbHfR

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Remember that the vehicle is not the dealers property it is the leasing companies property and the leasing company hires an independent company to inspect it, the dealer does not inspect it.
/\ this!

Also why your dealer didn't know because they do not perform the inspections.

Looks like you're already changing the rims. Since you're looking to hand them in anyway why not see if someone will trade with you? I'm sure there are people out there who would take you up on that.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If it's a lease you need to revert it back to stock when you turn it in. Wheels, stereo, exhaust or whatever mods you made. That's one of the disadvantages of leasing, you're limited to what you can do to the car. Now they have a right to ask you to remove those items then charge you to revert it back to stock. To NoVaGT's point you need to cover your butt in case plans change between lease signing and taking over the purchase.

If you can float it by the post lease inspection then your golden. Sometimes a tasteful mod is a feature the dealer might be ok with but that's pretty rare. Generally it hurts resale.
Window tint (legal shade) is about the only thing that won't get dinged.
Sponsored