Sponsored

Question about steering

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package
Hello I just brought myself a 2017 premium ecoboost mustang with the pony package, I am new to sports cars/muscle cars.

my question is, is it normal for steering to be a little stiff/tighter?My recent car was a Volkswagen so I became used to very light handling. My mustang also tends to feel like it pulls to the left and right sometimes. I always catch myself hugging the yellow line. I dont know if this sounds weird but sometimes it feels like the car is driving for me??

the dealership says it’s normal, and that I don’t need an alignment or my power steering checked out.. What’s your guys opinion, thanks in advance!
Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Does your car not have the steering modes ? Normal, Sport and Comfort ? Sport is tighter and comfort is really easy.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
In general steering feel on a sports car is stiffer than your average sedan.
As mentioned, some Mustangs have adjustable steering modes. I prefer Sport personally.
If you feel like the road is steering the car you might check the condition and air pressure on your tires. I've found that worn tires tend to be pulled around by lines in the pavement.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yes, sportier cars have sportier steering.

Your car also has EPAS, which is a very sophisticated electrically assisted steering rack. It filters out lots of road irregularities, shaking/vibration, but is also a bit lack in feed-back through the steering wheel.

Does your car have steering modes? It should, I think all Mustangs have them.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Also: if you feel like it's steering for you... it might be! Does your car have Lane Keep Assist? If so, it will steer for you if you get close to the lines on either side of your lane.

You can turn it off with the button on the end of the left stalk (the end of the one you use for your blinker). Personally, I like LKA (blasphemy! I know!)... but many others hate it. (Note: I do turn it off if I'm doing any spirited driving)

But: another reason why it may feel like it's steering itself is that these cars have wide front tires. That means they can do something called "tram lining"... where the tire rides imperfections in the road. This will feel quite a bit different than your Volkswagon...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it does I drive in normal
Does your car not have the steering modes ? Normal, Sport and Comfort ? Sport is tighter and comfort is really easy.
i do, I drive in comfort it starts off easy but gets a little stiffer as I drive

OP
OP

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, sportier cars have sportier steering.

Your car also has EPAS, which is a very sophisticated electrically assisted steering rack. It filters out lots of road irregularities, shaking/vibration, but is also a bit lack in feed-back through the steering wheel.

Does your car have steering modes? It should, I think all Mustangs have them.
Yes it does have steering modes I use comfort mostly

OP
OP

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also: if you feel like it's steering for you... it might be! Does your car have Lane Keep Assist? If so, it will steer for you if you get close to the lines on either side of your lane.

You can turn it off with the button on the end of the left stalk (the end of the one you use for your blinker). Personally, I like LKA (blasphemy! I know!)... but many others hate it. (Note: I do turn it off if I'm doing any spirited driving)

But: another reason why it may feel like it's steering itself is that these cars have wide front tires. That means they can do something called "tram lining"... where the tire rides imperfections in the road. This will feel quite a bit different than your Volkswagon...
I dont know I will see if I have lane keep assist thanks for the advice!