jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
is the $300ish difference between sites for the SFI rating?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Should only be ~$100 difference. Are you finding better pricing than LMR?

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I am interested in this mod but reading Ephiphany's detailed angle measuring and my lack of understanding of mechanical engineering side of this particular issue, I m worried if this is a fairly involved mod that requires lots of measurements to line up everything perfectly or is it as simple as removing bolts and old DS and putting new bolts back with the new DS?
No fret.

Gearheads shall be gearheads and do gearhead things.

People like Epiphany and myself will find ways to make processes "more difficult" simply to satisfy our craving for perfection, even in the most minor situations.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Are there any forum discounts or just general other discounts (like black friday etc) available for this or is it always $1329?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can negotiate an even better price from LMR, more power to you. Given what other vendors are asking the price is pretty reasonable. And unless something has changed, that price includes shipping.

For comparison, I was paying near $1,000 for a factory '13/'14 GT500 CF driveshaft a few years ago, and that didn't include shipping. Nor did it include a billet adapter ring that is necessary with the QA1 CF shaft, or the fasteners. The vendors asking $1,400+....yeah, that's a bit too much to swallow.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Has anyone done any pre-post dyno comparisons? What about basic 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? If its very noticeable improvement as everyone here says, I suspect it should show up in performance metrics as well?

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Very nice @Epiphany - vettttttty nice.

What I would also like to touch on a bit further, as I caught a mention of it in the review above; drive-ability.

People usually tend to base their DS upgrade around weight savings and acceleration improvement, but that is only scratching the surface.

As mentioned by Epiphany above, the GT350 front portion of the DS is mated to the transmission solidly with no "Giubo Joint" like the other model S550 cars have. (auto V8 cars do not have them btw)

Well this solid F/R mounted 2-pc driveshaft is without question one of the things I absolutely despise about the 2005-Current Mustangs. (I understand and accept why they chose to use them)

When you upgrade to a 1-pc DS like this one, the difference is immediately noticed. The engineering behind it, the fact is is CF with some "flex" and ridding of the sloppy harmonics is situation in which is IMO, totally winning.

One of the traits of the modern car's 2-pc DS that is very bothersome to me (especially if I dropped the $$$ on a GT350) is the clickity clackity clunkity that they emit through the drive-line. This sloppy oscillation prevents the driver from truly feeling the car working, and also prevents the driver from being able to "truly" drive the car. Many do not know this as they drive and get accustomed to their new vehicle and they love it, but we all cater our driving styles to our S550s whether we know it or not. My example for this would be, driving these cars for the first time you get that sloppy and jerky feeling that you end up changing the clutch release methods and shifting styles to make the car "behave" better - but once you install a good DS such as this one, you change your driving style as you do not have the driveline "wind up" and unloading anywhere near the level it was with the multipiece unit.

10lbs less rotating mass, MUCH stronger, smoother shifts and better driving characteristics...and just one AWESOME looking piece. This would be the first modification to my GT350 (just like a 1-pc was the first mod to my S550 GTs, both auto and my MT82 car)

Excellent!
I'm not trying to be difficult but I dont notice any of the things in my car that you mention.

I dont hear any clunk/drive terrain chatter, I dont have any issues with not smooth shifts (how does a driveshaft impact this anyways).

The one thing that I dont like about this car vs other naturally aspirated performance cars that I have owned/driven extensively is throttle response/lag. There is a noticeable delay between putting your foot down and the power being felt from the rear of the car. This is very noticeable around 3500-4000 rpm, gets better and disappears by 5500 rpm.

This lag is not the lack of torque but rather a delay in driveterrain plus "lazy revving" on the engine's part. Of all the NA track cars I have owned and driven (S65 M3, S85 M5, S63tu M5, 997.1 GT3, 997.2 GT3, E46 M3), this is by far the slowest revving and the least razor sharp throttle car (not the slowest car though!)

For instance my s65 v8 from E90 M3 was incredible as far as throttle response and how quickly the car revs. Now that car had independent throttle bodies which helped but overall it had "razor sharp" throttle. So is my M5 (touch that throttle gently and the car immediately responds). And so was 997 mezger gt3s I drove. Razor sharp throttle, no lag no delay.

For me the only true benefit of DS on this car would be improving on those areas.

Question is, does it really improve? Or am i just dreaming and this is how the mustangs are?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I'm not trying to be difficult but I dont notice any of the things in my car that you mention.

I dont hear any clunk/drive terrain chatter, I dont have any issues with not smooth shifts (how does a driveshaft impact this anyways).

The one thing that I dont like about this car vs other naturally aspirated performance cars that I have owned/driven extensively is throttle response/lag. There is a noticeable delay between putting your foot down and the power being felt from the rear of the car. This is very noticeable around 3500-4000 rpm, gets better and disappears by 5500 rpm.

This lag is not the lack of torque but rather a delay in driveterrain plus "lazy revving" on the engine's part. Of all the NA track cars I have owned and driven (S65 M3, S85 M5, S63tu M5, 997.1 GT3, 997.2 GT3, E46 M3), this is by far the slowest revving and the least razor sharp throttle car (not the slowest car though!)

For instance my s65 v8 from E90 M3 was incredible as far as throttle response and how quickly the car revs. Now that car had independent throttle bodies which helped but overall it had "razor sharp" throttle. So is my M5 (touch that throttle gently and the car immediately responds). And so was 997 mezger gt3s I drove. Razor sharp throttle, no lag no delay.

For me the only true benefit of DS on this car would be improving on those areas.

Question is, does it really improve? Or am i just dreaming and this is how the mustangs are?
It's the tune. A lot of DBW cars are like this from the factory.

Sponsored

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
wanted to thank you for your awesome post, you convinced me this was a must have mod. I installed it today, along with the resonator delete, and BMR Jacking rails

Like you said mo vibrations, it is smoother, especially when banging gears, I am a happy camper
!cid_38e986dd-e592-4038-8318-52ea5ed7ee6c@namprd20_prod_outlook.jpg
!cid_7f122e80-d97d-40a8-98cc-f4a7f683548d@namprd20_prod_outlook.jpg
!cid_6c3f73a4-f6ee-44b4-8430-878844051fd0@namprd20_prod_outlook.jpg

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good stuff Don!

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
Why did I jump back on here after months of being away.

Thanks Tob, Now I have to buy a Drive Shaft! Can I barrow some Cash? LOL

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My money tree has been picked clean in preparation for the 500.

:(

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
My money tree has been picked clean in preparation for the 500.

:(
YOU TOO!

Are you going to sell the 350? If so can I have the Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft? :lol:
Sponsored