Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
CDFB8ED2-0B83-448E-8556-C7A36F2CAB17.jpeg
All the oil is from the top. As I said it has literally not moved in 6 month, I t’s been on my lift.
The driveshaft hasn’t even been rotated since I installed it in August.
If you look closely you’ll see the oil is on the top of the driveshaft flange and runs downward towards the rear. You can literally see the droplets hanging and it left that oil spot on my floor.

I chased the threads dry to remove the factory applied lock-tite and cleaned them with brake cleaner and compressed air before installing the QA1 driveshaft.

For months it has not dropped any oil at all and now I come to see this on my floor.

My 16 track pack companion flange and driveshaft we’re both non coated / non painted bare metal.
This is a 18 R and both the companion flange and driveshaft were both painted black from the factory. I’ve noticed this on other newer gt350s as well.

I called QA1 today and waiting to hear back.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dominator961

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Did you smell of it? Nothing smells like gear oil. I would think that would be a dead giveaway too.

Also, just me, but if this thing hasn’t been driven at all, I’d personally drive it for a bit. If it’s a little gear oil leaking past, a couple heat cycles on the rear end may close things up.
Car has 22 miles on it.
No chance to drive it now I’m snowed in lol.

Doesn’t matter if it’s been parked for 10 years it still shouldn’t be dripping oil.

When the oem shaft was on it was bone dry.
It’s definitely not leaking from the pinion nut or seal. It’s coming from the cv joint.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm still trying to figure out why there's oil and not grease if it is the CV joint. Sure doesn't seem to make sense.

I presume you spun it around to find exactly where it is leaking?

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Car has 22 miles on it.
No chance to drive it now I’m snowed in lol.

Doesn’t matter if it’s been parked for 10 years it still shouldn’t be dripping oil.

When the oem shaft was on it was bone dry.
It’s definitely not leaking from the pinion nut or seal. It’s coming from the cv joint.
Is it an R or non R leak LMAO

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have around 4000 miles on mine and no leaks at all. But I don't see how it would be leaking oil from the shaft. Keep us updated.

Also, did you smell it?

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
Has to coming from the pinion nut.

OP
OP
Dominator961

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
It’s NOT coming from the pinion people.
It’s from the top of the cv joint. If you look closely you’ll see it starts at the top of the cv joint and runs down and reward.
The drive shaft has NOT been rotated.
Oil doesn’t run up hill.

As I said from the start, the car has been on the lift since I installed the driveshaft and has not moved since installed.

I’ve talked to qa1 and they are replacing the shaft.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
It’s NOT coming from the pinion people.
It’s from the top of the cv joint. If you look closely you’ll see it starts at the top of the cv joint and runs down and reward.
The drive shaft has NOT been rotated.
Oil doesn’t run up hill.

As I said from the start, the car has been on the lift since I installed the driveshaft and has not moved since installed.

I’ve talked to qa1 and they are replacing the shaft.
Are they sending you a new one first or you have to ship your shaft first?

Sponsored

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Would you care to share your conversation with QA1 regarding why this may have happened? Wondering "if" it were dropped by shippers if this may have been a result? Believe it is a throw away piece if it were dropped if memory is correct. I have one with 0 miles on it & no nothing other than what I've read here on this forum about them. Thanks

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
What doesn't make sense is that the CV joints are not oil filled. The grease they are filled/assembled with doesn't "drip" like that. And I'm struggling with how it would leak/emanate from the top of a round joint, somehow migrate to the outside of the joint, and then down to the lowest portion. Not intending to argue but rather understand what is taking place and how the issue originated.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And also Scott, you didn't respond to what it smells like. Nothing else will smell like gear oil.

OP
OP
Dominator961

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Would you care to share your conversation with QA1 regarding why this may have happened? Wondering "if" it were dropped by shippers if this may have been a result? Believe it is a throw away piece if it were dropped if memory is correct. I have one with 0 miles on it & no nothing other than what I've read here on this forum about them. Thanks
I originally purchased this last February for my 16 track pack. I never installed it on that car.
When I bought my R a few months ago I decided to install it on this car. When I opened the box it had a small oil stain in the cardboard. I assumed it was from assembly.
Now that I seen it dripping oil on my floor I know it wasn’t from assembly.

Those pics I posted are in fact from it sitting on my lift, in the air, never rotated, never driven on, never touched other than installing it months ago. It is definitely not from the pinion.

They told me to send it in for inspection and they’ll send me another out in return.
I have nothing negative to say about qa1. Very professional and top notch customer service.
I’d say equal to George at MGW.

OP
OP
Dominator961

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
What doesn't make sense is that the CV joints are not oil filled. The grease they are filled/assembled with doesn't "drip" like that. And I'm struggling with how it would leak/emanate from the top of a round joint, somehow migrate to the outside of the joint, and then down to the lowest portion. Not intending to argue but rather understand what is taking place and how the issue originated.
I understand what you are saying.
I know it’s not oil filled. I’m a mechanic of 35 years. I understand your question.
And it doesn’t make sense to me either.
As I noted before, even the box had a small oil spot where the cv joint laid. I assumed it was from assembly.
Sponsored