Sponsored

Purchasing in the Winter Time

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I've putzed around in the R Cup2's in the 30's just to keep the car running in the winter. I wouldn't push the car or expect any serious grip, but I'd be surprised if a couple hundred miles at 30 degrees was enough to destroy a set of non-R Cup 2's. I could be wrong though, happens more than I'd like.
I doubt it too, but it’s more about safety and being able to stop and not lose traction.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
thanks guys... I agree regarding the Cup2 comments. I know the 2019 350 cup 2's have a different compound than the R model, but still makes me nervous. I guess I wouldn't even consider driving it home unless the roads were clear and dry with temps in the high 30's.... If I can find the right deal on a used one and they are willing to work with me on transport I would just pay to have it delivered.
The other things that bug me about Ford putting the Cup2's on the regular 2019 GT350 is tread life and stickiness on the street. I've heard they don't last as long as the MPSS and you are kicking up rocks on your quarter panels wherever you go. If I knew I was going to be at the track a lot I would just buy a second set of wheels and store them for track days, but that is not me at this point in my life.

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So I live in Iowa. When I bought my GT350, I went ahead and bought another set of wheels from the same dealer and put winter tires on them. I see you are in Wisconsin, so maybe you want that extra set anyway? I'm sure the dealer will cut you some kind of deal if you want to do the same as I did. I got my winter tires for $5 above wholesale when I bought my '17.

For states with serious winters, I view the extra set as just part of the price of owning the car. It enables me to drive it any time through winter (still avoid using it unless the roads are clear -- never want to run into a hunk of packed snow or ice with my splitter!). And that keeps a smile on my face.

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
winter time is the best time to buy sports cars.. worst time to sell.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So I live in Iowa. When I bought my GT350, I went ahead and bought another set of wheels from the same dealer and put winter tires on them. I see you are in Wisconsin, so maybe you want that extra set anyway? I'm sure the dealer will cut you some kind of deal if you want to do the same as I did. I got my winter tires for $5 above wholesale when I bought my '17.

For states with serious winters, I view the extra set as just part of the price of owning the car. It enables me to drive it any time through winter (still avoid using it unless the roads are clear -- never want to run into a hunk of packed snow or ice with my splitter!). And that keeps a smile on my face.
Thanks.. so that makes me wonder if swapping to MPSS is the best route for a drive home in the winter on dry roads? I know guys who have done it...
I don't intend to drive the car in the winter, but would like to stretch into Oct/Nov if no snow, but reasonable temps...
Won't get the car out until March/April...
Have heard guys talk about putting Michelin A/S or PSS4S on, but I think it requires different wheels... tirerack does not even list other options for the 350 other than the cup2's and the MPSS

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I can’t speak to what happens with spring pricing. I can say I should have a deal finalized on a 20 Gt350 that’s pretty much loaded down to cover for roughly 36-3700$ back of msrp tomorrow. I was really after an R but decided the no back seat was a dxck move for my twin two year old boys. I absolutely want them to be exposed and experience one of the coolest things around, which is motorsports.

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
I also have been watching the prices and I would agree with thill444 in that now is just about the best time to act. Most dealers seem to be pricing the 19s in line but with the end of month and year around the corner I would imagine there is some room. Once the year clicks over the dealers are going to get next to no help with their remaining 19 vehicles from Ford (not that Ford helps with Shelbys anyway) and I think their aggressive mentality will probably change. if you see something you like I would start with the 10% off MSRP that seems to be the norm and try work some more down from there. Even at 10% off that is still not a bad deal and you can start enjoying your car in some capacity.

Also, my wife owns a Focus RS and we are on a couple RS boards and there was a knucklehead that supposedly drove 1k miles in that snowstorm from a couple weeks ago on Cup 2s. I only mention this because it didn't destroy his tires. We change out my wife's tires (only MPSS) in early November every year but this year in IL we are enjoying some unseasonably warm weather so if you find something right now you could potentially drive it home without incident.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I also have been watching the prices and I would agree with thill444 in that now is just about the best time to act. Most dealers seem to be pricing the 19s in line but with the end of month and year around the corner I would imagine there is some room. Once the year clicks over the dealers are going to get next to no help with their remaining 19 vehicles from Ford (not that Ford helps with Shelbys anyway) and I think their aggressive mentality will probably change. if you see something you like I would start with the 10% off MSRP that seems to be the norm and try work some more down from there. Even at 10% off that is still not a bad deal and you can start enjoying your car in some capacity.

Also, my wife owns a Focus RS and we are on a couple RS boards and there was a knucklehead that supposedly drove 1k miles in that snowstorm from a couple weeks ago on Cup 2s. I only mention this because it didn't destroy his tires. We change out my wife's tires (only MPSS) in early November every year but this year in IL we are enjoying some unseasonably warm weather so if you find something right now you could potentially drive it home without incident.
yeah, I agree with your assessment. Temps are in the 40's here in Wisconsin! Going to see what I can get done before end of year.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to follow up on my thread and let you all know that I was able to find a great deal on a 2019 and drove it home on the Cup2's with the temps in the high 30's with dry roads. Took it easy and had no issues at all!
Appreciate all your input!
3.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Guys! Really hard to put it away, but will have lots to look forward to in the spring! For now I guess I can just visit it and stare at it ... LOL....

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Have heard guys talk about putting Michelin A/S or PSS4S on, but I think it requires different wheels... tirerack does not even list other options for the 350 other than the cup2's and the MPSS
The key to Tire Rack is search by size and not by vehicle. Then you will see some All-Season options.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The key to Tire Rack is search by size and not by vehicle. Then you will see some All-Season options.
Thanks I found that out. I guess the vehicle search is often for OEM Rim/Wheel sizes which makes sense. I am going to stick with one set of wheels for now and put on the MPSS. They will be much better for the street use and should suffice for the majority of the season I will be driving in (late March, early April thru end of Oct, early Nov)

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Thanks I found that out. I guess the vehicle search is often for OEM Rim/Wheel sizes which makes sense. I am going to stick with one set of wheels for now and put on the MPSS. They will be much better for the street use and should suffice for the majority of the season I will be driving in (late March, early April thru end of Oct, early Nov)
6500 miles on my MPSS's and they're doing great! I'm running the BMW spec tires up front and they feel fantastic! And you can't beat free road hazard coverage!

upload_2020-1-9_16-31-25.png
Sponsored