Sponsored

Looking at purchasing 350, should I exclude the '16s?

Robertscz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'17 350 white/blue ott
Hello, great forums here! First post, I have been deciding between a zl1 and gt350.. After driving the 350 decision has been made! Amazing feeling in the car!

I have read a bunch about the cooling issues in the 16's without track pack. I would want to get the entertainment package for the obvious reasons. The prices on the 16s are SIGNIFICANTLY less than 17s... Is a 16 with the cooling issues worth taking a look at still? I don't think K I will be tracking the car, more interested in cruising on the streets on the weekends and taking to car shows ect. So any other negatives with the 16 that would totally sway u from buying one, if you had no real intentions of tracking? Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Personally, I would get the Track pack, Even if you don't intend to track the car the extra cooling is an good insurance policy especially if you live in warm climates. As far as SYNC 3 is concerned you can piece the system together or buy a complete system from infotainment.com as many of us with the Track Pack have done and it's super easy to install yourself.

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
I have the 16 tech with all the creature comforts and 18k miles and I don't track it. I too was very concerned with the lack of the cooling system a year and half ago but no longer. Only issue I had was the the heat shield getting lose due to the vibrations of this car and a recall completed both by Ford.... other than that, just the regular oil and tire maintenance. Good luck

Last edited:

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I have a 16 Tech Pack and have about 20K miles on it, so here is my feedback.
IF you have no intention of tracking the car, you may be happier with the features available on a 2016 at the cost point that you can pick up a 2016 model. Otherwise you won't know the difference.
If you account for value and resale, or plan to sell the car within the next few years, you may be better spending more on a 2017+ car.
I autocross my GT350 and plan to track it more next year. I have added coolers only for that reason, but I find there are absolutely no heat issues for autocross with the stock Tech Pack cars, the run times are not long enough to create that level of heat in the car. I have had zero issues with the car from any aspect of ownership, but I plan to keep the car for 10+ years, so resale value is really not an issue with me.
You should find a car that has the right color and options that will make you happy for your circumstance with no real need to exclude a model year.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Hello, great forums here! First post, I have been deciding between a zl1 and gt350.. After driving the 350 decision has been made! Amazing feeling in the car!

I have read a bunch about the cooling issues in the 16's without track pack. I would want to get the entertainment package for the obvious reasons. The prices on the 16s are SIGNIFICANTLY less than 17s... Is a 16 with the cooling issues worth taking a look at still? I don't think K I will be tracking the car, more interested in cruising on the streets on the weekends and taking to car shows ect. So any other negatives with the 16 that would totally sway u from buying one, if you had no real intentions of tracking? Thanks in advance!!
Since you appear set on having the upgraded electronics, it boils down to what seats you want. If you want the Recaros, you'll have to get a '17 with the Electronics Package. If you want the sofa seats, a '16 Technology Pack or '17 Convenience Pack is for you.

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Pretty much what others in this thread have said. The 16's are fine, exp if you buy a track pack 16. If your not going to track it, then a 16 tech is fine. I would think you could get a good deal on use 17 now.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Color is also a consideration. I really wanted Deep Impact Blue. It was discontinued after 2016.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If buying used and no intention of tracking, I would buy the 2016. It's less expensive as you have said, so that would be my deciding factor. They work fine unless you are going to hammer on them.

OP
OP

Robertscz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'17 350 white/blue ott
Personally, I would get the Track pack, Even if you don't intend to track the car the extra cooling is an good insurance policy especially if you live in warm climates. As far as SYNC 3 is concerned you can piece the system together or buy a complete system from infotainment.com as many of us with the Track Pack have done and it's super easy to install yourself.
looks like the upgrade is $2k, am i looking at the correct one? so with that price, it almost seems like the '17 with tech package would be smarter seeing as the $2k is almost enough to jump up to the '17. appreciate it, if i can steal a '16 and install this , i would def consider!

OP
OP

Robertscz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'17 350 white/blue ott
Since you appear set on having the upgraded electronics, it boils down to what seats you want. If you want the Recaros, you'll have to get a '17 with the Electronics Package. If you want the sofa seats, a '16 Technology Pack or '17 Convenience Pack is for you.
i know that the leather/suede seats are going to be very comfortable and also heated/cooled..... how comfy (or lack there of) are the recaros?

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
if you drive spirited in a warm climate, skip the tech pack or change your transmission fluid every season or so. 2 seasons and 20k miles my shifting became a bit rough.

Nguage transmission temps in the summer typically from 230-250 degrees. I don't like the fact it runs that hot. Others report lower temps however I run my car like a performance car and mine gets hot. It wont hit limp mode if your obeying the law but who the hell does that.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
I have a tech, and I've driven my car "spiritedly" in the middle of summer with no LM reached.

It looks like I'm going to hang on to my car for at least another 2-3 years so I'll be doing the cooler(s) install just for peace of mind. The cost of doing so gives me the best of both worlds for still less than a '17 would have costed me at the time I bought it.

As most of said, beyond this there is nothing else different with the car...And to your point, you won't find DIB in a '17, but you'll very likely find a low mile '16. I almost bought a 1500 mile DIB before choosing what I have now.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have an R on order so I will be selling mine soon.. hit me up if interested. 1700 miles, mint in every way. 10 coats of wax carefully and lovingly applied also. :)

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Keep in mind that there are plenty of tech pack owners who did NOT experience any limp mode at the track. AutoX is certainly achievable, as those sessions are very short.

If you absolutely want the electronics and recaros - just get a 17 and keep it simple.
Sponsored