PS4's in cold?

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
i've been trying to read up on summer tire and cold temps and see some shouldn't ever be below freezing. I can't find any thing specific to the ps4's on this thing. It will be stored in heated garage but on a nice day and clean roads wouldn't mind driving it. anyone have any info or point me in the right direction. thanks Jim
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I run them year round in Texas (garage and daily driven) and they're ok. We usually see a few days below freezing and I've even driven them in snow (not recommended!). Just keep an eye out for cracking. I've seen very minor cracking on previous sets but that's it.

Sudden changes in extreme temperature are the main issue with summer tires and cold that can cause cracking. If the car is in a heated garage, I don't think you'll have much of an issue.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
See below for what I found on tire rack about the tire below freezing. I’m also in Indiana and I would not run PS4S year round, but I daily the car. I use A/S once the lows are consistently sub 40, so somewhere in October/November depending on the weather trends. In general the tire should be fine in a heated garage and are ok to use on warmer days, but you want the tire to be warm for it to be effective and safe. The compound doesn’t work well if the tire is cold (lower bound of 40 or so), and is borderline dangerous at freezing.

From tire rack:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle. Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
PS4S in the cold? Hard no from me. I don't typically use my summer tires in temps less than 50* due to the compounds being harder at lower temps.

Looks like the weather has chosen to not get above 50 the next 10 days, so I'm swapping over to winter tires whenever they get delivered on Tuesday.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, confirmed the way I was leaning. Too many other vehicles around here to take a chance or spring for winter treads! Jim

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm in PA I've driven them in some 3X* weather in the the AM. Not any snow.

In the morning take it very easy till they warm up they are very much like driving on ice if they are cold. But if its that cold you should be taking it easy on the car till its up to temp anyway. Once they warm up they are fine.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I'm in PA I've driven them in some 3X* weather in the the AM. Not any snow.

In the morning take it very easy till they warm up they are very much like driving on ice if they are cold. But if its that cold you should be taking it easy on the car till its up to temp anyway. Once they warm up they are fine.
Thanks, not so much worried about being slick, as you said use the traction control between the ears! I've seen write ups on freezing temps causing cracks in tread and permanent damage, would only take once of coming apart way over 1oo to make a big mess. Can't find anything specific to these tires and low temps, just summer compounds in general. Jim

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Or you could listen to the likes of this knucklehead:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Thanks, not so much worried about being slick, as you said use the traction control between the ears! I've seen write ups on freezing temps causing cracks in tread and permanent damage, would only take once of coming apart way over 1oo to make a big mess. Can't find anything specific to these tires and low temps, just summer compounds in general. Jim
Most the cracks I've seen mentioned are about the Super Sports. They can definitely crack. That said I do have a set of dedicated winter tires I put on once they start to call for snow, or its predicted to down to low 30's/20's for more than just a dip over night. The last few years i've only had to use my Winters for just maybe 30-60 days of the year.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I messaged Michelin and they sent back some generic "temps below 40 aren't recommended due to possible performance loss". totally dodged question, guess I shouldn't be surprised! Oh well, thanks all-carry on! Jim🙄
Sponsored