Sponsored

GTPP in cold weather

O-H-5-0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350; 2016 F-150
My car had been sitting at the dealership since the twelfth due to the coldest February since 1875. I want to go pick it up, but have held off due to the weather and the concerns over the summer tires. I'm really only worried about damaging the tires as I know the traction won't be there in the cold, but at what temp have you guys been driving? Anyone damage a tire due to the cold? Just looking to see if I can get the car while the high is still in the 20's.
Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Don't drive in the snow. The tires are hard as rock and will slide everywhere. If you have to drive, make sure the road is dry and clear and go slow.

moto vudu

No Guts - No Glory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 50 Yr
I'm be more worried about damage while it's sitting at the dealership than damage to the tires because you're driving in 20 degree weather. I've never had a summer tire damaged because it was cold, they just don't provide much traction.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i had those tires for a while before i swapped them out. drove on them all the way down to 7F and it was fine.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
There were a few days that were colder than these but didn't snap a photo. I drive exclusively on summer tires, currently Continental ExtremeContact DW. 33,xxx miles on the car and I do my own routine maintenance being that I'm a tech at a Benz dealer.

Sponsored

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Last time I drove my vehicle was just before the first really bad cold snap and it was 20 degrees F out with dry roads...kept my speeds at posted speeds and gave myself plenty of space between vehicles in front of me and just drove conservatively. I had no problems other than the harsher than normal ride due to the tires remained as hard as hockey pucks!

OP
OP
O-H-5-0

O-H-5-0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350; 2016 F-150
Sounds like I need to make a trip to my dealership on Saturday as the weather is supposed to be clear (just cold). Roads should be in good enough shape to take her out for a little drive before going into the garage.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I test drove a PP car at about 28F. Just leave lots of room and know you're driving on ice skates and you'll be fine moving the car.

TonyN

SLO 5L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
You are not going to "damage" the tires by driving in the cold/snow. However, they are a max performance summer tire and extra care should be taken. I have been driving in sub freezing temp and it is slippery especially compared to one with all seasons, but it's manageable.

I got stuck driving in the snow last week (our first snowfall of the year) and I made it to my destination. Just have to be easy and take extra care when braking and around turns. The snow/wet mode lessened the throttle response making it a little easier to drive. I am more worried about the others on the road in this area hitting me. Which I why I keep mine I the garage during inclement weather.

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
You are not going to "damage" the tires by driving in the cold/snow. However, they are a max performance summer tire and extra care should be taken. I have been driving in sub freezing temp and it is slippery especially compared to one with all seasons, but it's manageable.

I got stuck driving in the snow last week (our first snowfall of the year) and I made it to my destination. Just have to be easy and take extra care when braking and around turns. The snow/wet mode lessened the throttle response making it a little easier to drive. I am more worried about the others on the road in this area hitting me. Which I why I keep mine I the garage during inclement weather.
Not necessarily true. There have been accounts of summer tires cracking in below freezing temperatures.

Sponsored

TonyN

SLO 5L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Not necessarily true. There have been accounts of summer tires cracking in below freezing temperatures.
Interesting. I have been a master tech for over 10 years and have owned many cars with summer tires and can't say I have ever seen that happen first hand. I spent the first 20 years of my life in Cleveland where it gets pretty cold. It isn't usually this cold down in Va Beach though. Guess I have been lucky to have never had an issue.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Mine are going on 3 years old and have been in sub-zero temps and the car is parked outside, no issues. My dealership sells Porsche which seem to be 90% summer-tire equipped(Pirelli PZero no less), again with no issues. IIRC there was one person who went on a rant about cracked tires but didn't even see the car in person.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Interesting. I have been a master tech for over 10 years and have owned many cars with summer tires and can't say I have ever seen that happen first hand. I spent the first 20 years of my life in Cleveland where it gets pretty cold. It isn't usually this cold down in Va Beach though. Guess I have been lucky to have never had an issue.
Although this is a GM bulletin, the information comes from the tire manufacturers, Bridgestone, Pirelli P-Zero (same as the Mustang), Goodyear F1's, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2923

More pics of issues:

The newer "Ultra-High Performance" or "Max Performance" summer tires do not like being moved when it's cold outside. Be careful.

Blake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RR GT PP Supercharged
Instructions for driving in the cold.

Step 1: Start your car and let it get up to running temp.
Step 2: Use your line lock to heat up rear tires.
Step 3: Drive fast as hell and use your Brembo's to keep heat in the front tires.
Step 4: Repeat as needed. :thumbsup:

J/K Drive carefully....

Mellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
I'm be more worried about damage while it's sitting at the dealership than damage to the tires because you're driving in 20 degree weather. I've never had a summer tire damaged because it was cold, they just don't provide much traction.
This.

I've seen the same photos of the vette tires people post but have never personally seen or heard of this happening among anyone I know. Some people act like the tires will self destruct below 45 degrees.....

In Atlanta I keep on summer rubber year round because we just dont get enough winter weather to warrant it. When it does get nasty the city shuts down anyway so there is no need to head out. Our recent cold weather had morning temps in the low 20's and until the tires gets warmed up it is slick but the traction control keeps things manageable as long as you are not trying to drive aggressively.

Just take it easy and pick up your toy. I thick you would be more likely to win the lottery or bestrucky by lightning on your way home than suffer a tire related problem.
Sponsored