Sponsored

Pronounced Driving Mode Differences?

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
New to me '17 base... just how pronounced are the differences between Normal, Sport and Track driving modes?

The reason I ask...

Just picked the car up and noticed once home that the exhaust is not working (this has been verified visually as well as just going on sound). No messages or codes whatsoever... just inop. Now, I also have to be honest, I really noticed no difference in how the car felt while trying the different modes. So I am wondering if there is a chance everything is not working properly without providing any codes or messages? (or given I was putting along would I even notice at 50 MPH?)

It's been stupid snowy here in NNJ and I have a equally stupid steep and long drive -- no idea when I'll be able to get the car back to the dealer. Just looking for thoughts from expertise of the forum. TIA.

-BierGut
Sponsored

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
New to me '17 base... just how pronounced are the differences between Normal, Sport and Track driving modes?

The reason I ask...

Just picked the car up and noticed once home that the exhaust is not working (this has been verified visually as well as just going on sound). No messages or codes whatsoever... just inop. Now, I also have to be honest, I really noticed no difference in how the car felt while trying the different modes. So I am wondering if there is a chance everything is not working properly without providing any codes or messages? (or given I was putting along would I even notice at 50 MPH?)

It's been stupid snowy here in NNJ and I have a equally stupid steep and long drive -- no idea when I'll be able to get the car back to the dealer. Just looking for thoughts from expertise of the forum. TIA.

-BierGut
Base GT or Eco? And if Iā€™m wrong I know the community will let me know but I donā€™t remember active exhaust being offered as stock for the ā€˜17. What has yours got?
You can tell a little difference between the modes. Sport revā€™s more willingly and track allows a little more silliness in the traction. Cruising at 50, you probably wonā€™t notice much. Itā€™s not like track mode unleashes another 100hp.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
The active exhaust valves may be stock. You can visually inspect them by looking at inside of tale pipes when switching between "Normal"(close/quite) and "Sport"(open/loud) mode. If it's close in Sport mode, get long screwdriver and just push it. You may spray some silicon lube on them as well. Hope this is what it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Sorry -- it's a '17 GT350.

I'll try that screwdriver hack and see it if it can break free. They are definitely close in Sport mode.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks -- I read through that last night. I suppose there is a real possibility the actuators are at fault here... wouldn't surprise me.
Or the wiring. Check for insulation damage and cut wires.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Some random points...

- If the exhaust valves are stuck, you should have a "mode not available" pop-up in the center instrument screen.

- The different modes are very pronounced. Enough to notice. Exhaust opens and closes, shocks severely firm up, steering mode changes, how linear the throttle is changes, just to name a few noticeable points. The exhaust not changing is the first big clue that something isn't happening, and odd that you don't have the "mode not available".

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Some random points...

- If the exhaust valves are stuck, you should have a "mode not available" pop-up in the center instrument screen.

- The different modes are very pronounced. Enough to notice. Exhaust opens and closes, shocks severely firm up, steering mode changes, how linear the throttle is changes, just to name a few noticeable points. The exhaust not changing is the first big clue that something isn't happening, and odd that you don't have the "mode not available".
Question : When the valves are open, how "open" are they? Do they go completely open or to some degree?

The reason I ask is that my valves are partly open... looks like 5-7mm. They are cracked in all modes and settings including "normal". (I will say the car sounds great!)

The shocks and throttle definitely did NOT change from mode to mode... nor am I getting any message on the driver's display. Strange indeed.

The only mode that I receive a message is in "DRAG". It says it is not available. Something is wonky.

PS: There were no "MyKeys" set up.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry -- it's a '17 GT350.

I'll try that screwdriver hack and see it if it can break free. They are definitely close in Sport mode.
Well that makes more sense.

Sponsored

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
For many of us with 2016/2017 there is new firmware that addresses some issues with sports mode for the exhaust. It's a TSB and I got ours done since I had the extended warranty. It has been much better since getting the update. I think it addressed many other issues as well. When It happened to me it was usually around start up time and the last thing I wanted to listen to is the radio! ;)

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/gt350-tsbs-and-ssms.11595/

Let us know how it turns out. :)

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
There is a very noticeable difference in exhaust sound in between normal and sport modes. Especially if you have the rpm's anything past idle. But even idling you notice a difference in sound.
Could the previous owner have kept the car outside all year, uncovered, and a mouse or something got into the exhaust and built a nest?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

The reason I ask...

-BierGut
There is nothing about this problem that sounds like a stock GT350. As @galaxy said, there's an error message on the dash if the valves aren't moving and your ability to switch drive modes is disabled. Your car doesn't do that. Not only that, but the shocks should change settings too, and the car should get a stiffer ride in Sport and even stiffer in Track. The dashboard is saying the right things, but the car isn't actually responding. Very strange, and very hard to do.

At this point, you need to find out what's going on. So, first, go to this Ford website: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do and enter your VIN. It'll tell you exactly what the car was built as. Once we're sure you've actually got a GT350, we can start to figure out what's going on from there. There are products in the aftermarket that will disable both the MagneRide suspension and the exhaust sound valves. Could be your car has them for some reason.

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
There is a very noticeable difference in exhaust sound in between normal and sport modes. Especially if you have the rpm's anything past idle. But even idling you notice a difference in sound.
Could the previous owner have kept the car outside all year, uncovered, and a mouse or something got into the exhaust and built a nest?
from a purely sound perspective, quiet to normal is a huge difference,
normal to sport I can kind of tell the difference,
sport to track I cannot tell one bit

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
When the car is off and you push the clutch in as if to start it (but without actually hitting the start button) do you hear a mechanical actuating sound coming from underneath the car? The exhaust valves cycle that way each time. That will tell you if the exhaust valves themselves are not working or if it is some kind of communication issue between the mode selector and the valves.

As far as differences in suspension and steering settings on normal vs sport, there should be a noticeable difference in steering stiffness and a more nuanced increase in suspension stiffness. I can notice it on certain bumps along roads that I normally take to and from work.
Sponsored