Sponsored

Procharged 2014 overheating issue HELP NEEDED

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
That much blower I definitely wouldn't run cats it is just asking for trouble.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
That much blower I definitely wouldn't run cats it is just asking for trouble.
Agree. I'd be parking it until I figured it out, you are a pull away from disaster if you aske me.

There would or should be some codes thrown.

OP, this is a used purchase, correct?

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
2014 procharged mustang gt
Agree. I'd be parking it until I figured it out, you are a pull away from disaster if you aske me.

There would or should be some codes thrown.

OP, this is a used purchase, correct?
Yes a used purchase and a long story on how I ended up with the car. But I don't have the original owners information and the shop who built it is no longer in business.

There are no codes,no check engine light, nothing like that.

And the car is and has been parked for the better part of two months. I only drive it to see if anything has changed once replace something.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Don't know what the stock thermostat is, but 160 - 170 sounds low.

If the thermostat is full open at 170, and say normal running temp is 200.

What happens is the water never stays in the radiator long enough to dissipate heat. It's as bad as not having a thermostat .

Some thinking is the 160 - 170 means car should run happy, cooler rang, opening sooner.

Maybe a 6 banger, a V8 needs the water to stay in the radiator longer. 160-180 were a common thermostat setting many years ago now.

Also high flow water pump, pumps the water thru the radiator fast. So you have fast flow, no more cooling happening.

Cooling only happens with the ambient air flowing thru the radiator. Cooling the water in the core. Speeding that water up dose not make it cool more effectively .
This is not correct because if it is not in the radiator long enough to cool that means it is not in the engine long enough to get hot. I bet if you remove the thermostat it will stay cool.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have had this problem and it is all about air flow you’re fans do not move enough air to keep it cool. They are only good at idle or close to it so you need air flow. First is the radiator fans tuned to match the thermostat. Second and most important are all the air dam and deflectors in place? I’ll bet you that there’s a few missing. Get them back on the car and you will be fine. This normally happens when someone removes the air dam under the radiator or on top of it so the air goes under the radiator or over instead of through it

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
This is not correct because if it is not in the radiator long enough to cool that means it is not in the engine long enough to get hot. I bet if you remove the thermostat it will stay cool.
It is correct and is the purpose for having a thermostat.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That is incorrect
It is correct and is the purpose for having a thermostat.
That is incorrect and not the purpose for a thermostat that is incorrect the purpose of a thermostat to keep a engine at operating temperature. Without the thermostat your engine will increase and decrease in temperature based on ambient conditions

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That is incorrect

That is incorrect and not the purpose for a thermostat that is incorrect the purpose of a thermostat to keep a engine at operating temperature. Without the thermostat your engine will increase and decrease in temperature based on ambient conditions

That is correct, at running temp it regulates the coolant flow, thru the radiator. Without it the motor will run hotter, quicker/over heat.

Last edited:

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That is correct, at running temp it regulates the coolant flow, thru the radiator. Without it the motor will run hotter, quicker/over heat.
Not true. If The cooling system in adequate for the car with the thermostat then it is adequate for the car without the thermostat and it will run cooler. The thermostat is there to maintain a minimum operating temperature not a maximum

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Let’s say you have a 170 thermostat at 170° the thermostat is wide open it doesn’t regulate it doesn’t open and close “it’s just wide-open. it will not close again until the temperature goes below 170 then it will close and allow the temperature within the engine to rise back up to 170 before opening again. If you are above 170 it will never close. So above 170 it is exactly the same as not having A thermostat

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Let’s say you have a 170 thermostat at 170° the thermostat is wide open it doesn’t regulate it doesn’t open and close “it’s just wide-open. it will not close again until the temperature goes below 170 then it will close and allow the temperature within the engine to rise back up to 170 before opening again. If you are above 170 it will never close. So above 170 it is exactly the same as not having A thermostat
Exactly

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Don't know what the stock thermostat is, but 160 - 170 sounds low.

If the thermostat is full open at 170, and say normal running temp is 200.

What happens is the water never stays in the radiator long enough to dissipate heat. It's as bad as not having a thermostat .

Some thinking is the 160 - 170 means car should run happy, cooler rang, opening sooner.

Maybe a 6 banger, a V8 needs the water to stay in the radiator longer. 160-180 were a common thermostat setting many years ago now.

Also high flow water pump, pumps the water thru the radiator fast. So you have fast flow, no more cooling happening.

Cooling only happens with the ambient air flowing thru the radiator. Cooling the water in the core. Speeding that water up dose not make it cool more effectively .
I understand your theory that if you have a 180 thermostat it keeps the water in the radiator until the engine warms up and then it uses the cold water to cool the temperature back down but in that scenario your cooling system is adequate to cool it back down so if you didn’t have a thermostat it would just continue to cool
Sponsored