Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Good news boys! Looks like one of my sponsors ZL1 Addons will be attending and possibly tracking a car or two. I will let you guys know when I have confirmed it.
Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I believe track charges $10 per person.

you should definitely have tow hook (or have some plan for it). tow truck wants to get you off the track asap, they will use anything..... one option is to pop the hood, and use strut bar.

as for safety gear. helmet needs to be SA or M rated, no DOT stuff. Most track organizers also do not allow 4-point harness unless it is a Schroth ASM.
Also, helmets cannot be ancient. Typically up to last 2 certifications.
which means SA2010/M2010 or SA2015/M2015. FYI, the difference between SA and M is that SA has fire retardant interior material while M does not. That is why M is for motorcycles (less chance of being trapped in a fire you cannot escape from). Otherwise both M and SA pass the same safety tests.

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
SA usually have smaller eye port. And is designed for multiple impact (in a roll over). And like you said, fire retardant material. That’s the 3 differences.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I believe the impact tests are different between M and SA helmets as well. SA helmets have to withstand impacts with things like roll bars and M helmets need to pass puncture tests.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Ok gents, I have a general plan for the event. A couple of details may change roughly a month before hand, but this will be the nuts and bolts.

The purpose of this event is for us all to get together, have some fun with our cars, build new friendships, and go home without damaging our bodies or property. With safety being of the utmost importance and the number of newer drivers at the event, I am not willing to skimp out on things that may save someone’s life. For the track we will have event insurance, a fire rescue crew, tow truck crew, corner workers, three 25x25 garages with compressed air, and a professional photographer on hand. Comparable track days at Buttonwillow range anywhere from $289 - $330 depending on when you sign up and the organizer. All said and done the event will cost $215 per driver. Your initial deposit of $50 goes toward the total cost of the event, with the remainder of $165 due 30 days before the event is scheduled.

The event will not be timed as Buttonwillow does not provide equipment. Be sure to download your favorite track app on your phone if that is something you are seeking. Additional track insurance can be purchased for your vehicle at your own expense if you choose. EVERYONE needs to have their own personal insurance policy on their vehicle. The three garages we have will be available for the run group going up next if they need to air up tires or perform maintenance checks. There is ample parking around the paddocks, so the garages are not a necessity. Additional garages can be purchased day of if you and some buddies want to go in on one.

My buddy Robert Gluckman (Instagram @ Robgluckman_photography) will be out taking photos. Some of you may be familiar with him from the GT350 Facebook Owners page or Instagram. He is a professional photographer that works for ABC 7 in Southern California. He flies in their helicopter and does aerial photography. Rob is bringing his $12,000 dollar lens and his GT350 to do some damage. He will be providing event photography for all of us, which will include overall photographs of the event and 2-3 professionally edited photos of your car on track. You can contact him directly at [email protected] or on Instagram to discuss him doing additional photographs. I already know I will be.

I have the contract ready to go for Buttonwillow to reserve the day. The initial deposit of $2000 is NON-REFUNDABLE, meaning we will run rain or shine. If you need to cancel your attendance I will refund your initial $50 deposit as soon as we have someone sign up to take your place. Thus far I have more interested parties than space. I am going to send the signed contract and deposit to Buttonwillow on Wednesday, January 3, 2018. That is the date we make this thing official. Buttonwillow requires all vehicles entering the raceway day of will have to pay $10 at the gate.

We will be running the full track in race configuration #1 for this event. It is their largest configuration, and will provide the most amount of space on track for our vehicles. Given the size of the track, and people that got back to me after the holiday we will have a total of 50 cars at the event. There will be several run groups separated by skill level. This should allow everyone ample time on track, the ability to drive without being stuck in traffic, an opportunity to work on your turning skills, and enough straights to have fun without getting into too much trouble. We will have a driver meeting in the morning at 0730 to discuss further details, and I will post all that info closer to the day of. Track time will begin at 0800 and we will go all the way until they kick us out at 1700 hours. We have until 1800 to be out of the facility. Feel free to invite buddies to attend and spectate, show their cars, and shoot the sh*t.

race_01_config.gif

Most of my time will be spent facilitating and coordinating the event, but I will get out there some. If any of you have been to the Ford Performance Racing School I intend to replicate some of their strategies. The most advanced group will start the day off first and get familiar with the track, with the intermediate group after, and beginners last. The new-drivers will also get some instruction on vehicle dynamics while they wait to drive. We have several participants that are instructors, have a substantial amount of track experience, or are experienced at Buttonwillow. I will be tapping into those individuals to conduct a lead/follow with the first-time participants to teach them the braking zones, racing lines, and getting them familiar with the track. After that session I would like an intermediate/advanced driver to ride along with the beginners to give them advice about driving techniques, and track specific tips. After that the beginning group will ride solo. Part of the way we will keep costs down, and keep us all safe is to tap into the experience we already have. Toward the end of the day we will open up the run groups to allow for some fun as people get more comfortable.

I am definitely open to suggestions so please PM me if you have some. For those with higher skill levels I greatly appreciate your willingness to help some the new guys out. Teaching is one of best ways to enhance your own skills and understanding. Keeping drivers and their vehicles on the track will also ensure we do not waste time due to incidents. I anticipate this event being a blast and, will look gauge interest into setting up another in the fall.

Thanks,
Even though I'm not attending, I can appreciate all the work you've put in to give everyone a nice track day. :cheers:

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Dang! Driving from Utah?

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
Definitely looking forward to an amazing day :cheers: :cheers:

Sponsored
OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
We got our Signature wheels into production for the FP350S that the Ford Performance Racing School is getting. I asked Dan McKeever if he could come and bring the car. I got a “let me check my schedule.” Much better than a no, so I am hopeful I can make this event a really good time. That is prime Track Attack season so who knows.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
Local Hotels

Anyone have a recommended hotel to stay at from a previous track day at Buttonwillow? I looked on Buttonwillow's website and all the local places are Motels but in Bakersfield there are quite a few Hotels :shrug:

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Anyone have a recommended hotel to stay at from a previous track day at Buttonwillow? I looked on Buttonwillow's website and all the local places are Motels but in Bakersfield there are quite a few Hotels :shrug:
unfortunately, motels are the best you are gonna get near the track. Bakersfield is a little too far.

since this is a 1 day event. There are more hotels further north (Harris RAnch) and south (near Grapevine), on your way to the track.
Sponsored