Sponsored

Premium Petrol

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, we often go to the petrol station to put petrol in.
But, how on earth do we know that we're getting what we're paying for?

I own a 2018 Mustang GT PP1. And, I only put Premium petrol in, and always the same 'brand'.

Is is really the same 'brand' and is it the really 'premium'? Hmm...
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I guess you could take a sample to a lab that could run some tests on it. That may not be very practical, though. Or cheap for that matter.
Perhaps an OBD reader could show you the spark advance at various revs? I don't know if that sort of information is available via OBD, but if it is, it might be worth a try.
Maybe the detonation sensor can be disabled? Then if you get any pinging, that means you've got low octane petrol. But personally I wouldn't dare mess with that. Who knows what damage it might cause to the engine.
Or take a dyno test. If the engine develops its full nominal power, then you've got good petrol.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The fuel pump will have an inspection sticker from your state, with the date of last inspection. These test are run on site by state employees. This should make you confident if inspection sticker are within 90-180 days.

Most convenient store fuel pumps and canopies are owned by fuel companies, the store just gets commissioned payments. With that in mind, I don't think a major oil company would try to pull a switcheroo. Maybe a country store that buys by the load, but still so much bad press if they get caught.

On trick years ago, maybe still now, is business would not pay taxes on fuel they sold, staying open until they are caught. Then leave store in the middle of night and open up a new store.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
What @Interceptor said is spot on. There’s too much worries in life especially now to be getting ones panties in a bunch over if a station gas is truly 93 octane or if it’s 92 marked as such.

Matthewneedforgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1
You really can't tell its really a good faith operation. However if its a large name company you can almost count on it being correct as the law would consider the change in grades as false advertising and subversive sale.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Top Teir gas is usually a pretty safe bet. If you're really worried put in a little boostane and mix to 97.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
...thanks for all the responses.
And, to be clear, this is not a worry for me per se', I was more curious. Honestly, I have the likes of Covid-19, and now being unemployed to worry about (like many others)

@Interceptor thanks for the detailed response.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unless am on an extended road trip, I put QuikTrip Premium in my car.
Do you only use one particular brand (no matter what)?

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
i use shell, and usually only a certain station (close to the house). unless of course im out of town or going to run out before i get home, then i'll stop, and almost always at a shell station. (i get fuel rewards/discount on gas)

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I often wonder about that--here's an old (2011) article from Dallas, Texas that says that 13% of the gas samples the state tested were lower than the rating on the pump.
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/05/12...ter-lower-octane-at-north-texas-gas-stations/

And in 2019, the legislature passed responsibility for fuel quality from the Texas Agriculture Department to TLDR, and I bet there's even less testing of octane now.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I always thought the state couldn't care less about octane ratings, however, those stickers are for calibration exact amount dispensed per gallon, for whatever the price is, and of course the ethanol content per gallon also.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, we often go to the petrol station to put petrol in.
But, how on earth do we know that we're getting what we're paying for?

I own a 2018 Mustang GT PP1. And, I only put Premium petrol in, and always the same 'brand'.

Is is really the same 'brand' and is it the really 'premium'? Hmm...
In the U.S,, fuel from refineries is added to the National pipeline, and pumped to distribution stations and most fuel stations in the U.S. use fuel from this system. These fuels vary, sometimes greatly, in quality. pipelines

Dedicated fuels from manufactures are piped to dedicated distribution stations and trucked to dedicated stations, these stations usually run about $0.50 a gallon higher than the competition, have detergents and proprietary substances in them and test what they say they are, 93 Octane will be that or higher.

This subject can go pretty deep but that is the gist of it.
Sponsored