Sponsored

Regular to premium price difference

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
.70 cent per gallon difference between regular gas and premium fuel today when I filled up. Fourteen gallons = $9.80.
Now I hear our Federal Government is considering making premium fuel the new standard.
I have heard all sorts of stories of why so a great difference. Regulations chemical shortage to make more octane, wanting @15% corn instead of 10%, more cars using premium etc..
Where's it gonna stop. Diesels were the answer until government got involved taking sulfur out, part of premiums issue also, supposedly.

Anyone got a crystal ball?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Average taxes paid on a gallon of fuel are around $ ..49

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Since you wanted to have a conversation about this topic I will do counterpoint. I couldn't even tell you what 87 vs. 91 costs here. I just fill up the tank when it gets near 1/4 full. I might notice if gas was expensive, but it doesn't seem bad to me. The enjoyment I get out of a gallon of gas is immense.

Fuel for the beast under the hood is the best purchase I can make. I love the days when I fill up 3 or more times. It means I'm at the track.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I normally get gas at the BP 2 miles from our home. Regular 87 is $2.45 and 93 is $2.79 I use the 93. It may not make much difference at WOT HP wise, but the “drivability” is much smoother especially the hotter the weather gets. It also seems to have more pep down low on 93. I even added this decal in the fuel door just in case someone else puts gas in it. MAYBE they will notice and comply.

8CB748A2-38E9-4535-A508-9ED0CF880E32.jpeg

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
80c per gallon difference generally here from 87 to 93. Thats why I havnt done the ford racing performance tune on my ecoboost, I did the math for 100k miles its something like 3k-4k more in fuel which is a lot like 30% increase overall almost.

87 it is, but I'm a economical minded guy its why I have an ecoboost, I just like the styling of the car honestly. If I could get the tune and run 87 id do it, but nah. not for me.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Same here. Mine runs perfectly well on 87 and I’m not posting about having a fuel knock, bad tune, data logs, emailing turners etc. constantly chasing a few horses. Not knocking those that want to run it.

Last edited:

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I will add that we are retired and put a lot fewer miles on a DD than we used to. If the price differential climbs too high then I will re-evaluate our situation. We plan to get another CPO of some sort, maybe Edge or Explorer to use as our DD and keep the vert as our fun car.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Same here. Mine was perfectly well on 87 and I’m not posting about having a fuel knock, bad tune, data logs, emailing turners etc. constantly chasing a few horses. Not knocking those that want to run it.

Mines a summer long DD. So
I will be racking miles, as much as I want the power just to have it, I know that id regret it. A lot of my friends and spending half their pay in mods and getting like 15mpg on premium. I’d cry if I did that myself. I don’t make enough and I have a house payment lol.

Had my car and house been paid off, I’d get it today. But I already spend more than I want in loan interest

Darn Uncle Sam

But I do have a sportbike that goes faster and quicker, Atleast it gets 42mpg WOT all day on premium.

Random, what changed in 18-19 models to give another 20hp? They take 87 right? Wish ford would offer that tune at a lower price

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The cost difference between 87 and 93 at the Costco near me is $0.30. Not too bad. It's worth the $0.30 to lessen the fear of something happening from oil contamination.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not running 91+ :giggle::giggle::giggle:
That's a whole 'nother debate.

I settled on 87 in my 2015 GT after going back and forth many times. The difference was unnoticeable. I could go out of my way and buy 93 for the GT350, but I typically just use 91.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
That's a whole 'nother debate.

I settled on 87 in my 2015 GT after going back and forth many times. The difference was unnoticeable. I could go out of my way and buy 93 for the GT350, but I typically just use 91.
The reason you should run mid-grade or premium isn't for the small power increase, it's to have some safety from oil contamination in the fuel. If you run 87 and have oil in the fuel, it could very well drop the octane below 87.

The power increase from 87 to 93 is only something like 10 hp.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The reason you should run mid-grade or premium isn't for the small power increase, it's to have some safety from oil contamination in the fuel. If you run 87 and have oil in the fuel, it could very well drop the octane below 87.

The power increase from 87 to 93 is only something like 10 hp.
I could have spent more money on gas to protect myself from something or another, but the car always ran fine and I sold it before the warranty even ran out. I understand if you will drive hundreds of thousands of miles on a car you might want to spend extra to try to prevent long term issues, but if you only keep a car for a few years, why bother?

Regarding oil contamination - you are assuming that Ford doesn't take that into account when they design their engines? And you are assuming that Ford's durability testing doesn't account for it either?

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I think my area is 25-30 cents. I remember the days you would see just a 10 cent difference in 87/89/91 octanes.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was actually concern about the increase spread. When I first got my Eco boost the difference was minimal. Now at 70 cents per gallon its making a difference. 95-100 dollars a month difference in fuel cost per month to run premium against regular.
One of reason I was sold on eco-boost was styling and fun performance with good MPG. Well the spread in cost is diminishing that.
Now I ask why are some only paying 25 cent more, where some of us are paying 70-80 cent more. What going on with that
Sponsored