PP Strut Tower Brace kit + Cowl Extension + Lower K Brace Install Guide

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus
Did you get the PP sway bar as well? The battery in my caliper was dead so I couldn't measure the rear bar.
I never checked. My plan was just to add the strut tower brace kit from Ford Performance and the 16-17 GT/CS chin spoiler. I found the lower K when I had the car up to add the front spoiler.
Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Just installed the firewall extension and cowl brace. Definitely felt a difference in the few sharp turns in my short test drive: there's less torsion in the front so turning feels more immediate.

Still debating if its worth adding the strut brace as I think the cowl brace does most of the job tying the front together. It also makes checking oil more uncomfortable.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Installed the three topside pieces last night. Cowl extension panel was not much fun, I did it the hard way without removing the wiper arms(no puller tool). Getting the panel seated in place took a little effort but not too bad. Getting the bolts started was a challenge, very little clearance. I used a pair of 2x2 wooden stakes to lift up the cowl, thankfully the cowl is flexible. The rest of the install was easy. Did the lower K-brace the day before, very simple install. Results - there is a subtle difference, steering/handling feels firmer and tighter.

Pic shows extension panel seated in place. The hard part if you don't pull the wiper arms is getting the bolts started, they are back in there a ways and there is not much clearance, especially if you have large hands. If you drop a bolt in the wiper motor bay good luck fishing it out if you don't have a magnetic tool. A ratcheting 1/2 or 13mm wrench is helpful.

50147927507_8fca13e140_c.jpg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
After just doing this, here's a few things to note that I haven't seen posted in here. First of all, you need 4 of the cowl bolts, not 3 on the newer cars. Secondly, if you don't want to hate life, pick up a 13mm ratcheting wrench for this job if you don't have one, preferably one with adjustable angle as well. It's also easier to put the cowl brace on the driver's side first, inverse of what the instructions say. Removing the wipers is pretty easy with a small gear puller. Use painters tape to mark which wiper is which, and to mark where the notch points on the cowl (or just run tape lines on the glass to mark where the wipers were to start with).

Definitely worth it though, front of the car just feels better, especially over bumps and rough roads, that's where you see the most improvement. Turn in is a bit sharper as well.

Also as an addendum, if you need the strut mount nuts because you bought an OEM brace instead of the kit like me, its W712334-S440
And the cowl brace is FR3Z-16K038-A

Sponsored

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry, I'm stupid. I just compared the pics and they are different things...
One more: Does anyone know if these parts will be able to fit on 2020 model? I checked on ford's web, and it says it will not fit...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm sorry, I'm stupid. I just compared the pics and they are different things...
One more: Does anyone know if these parts will be able to fit on 2020 model? I checked on ford's web, and it says it will not fit...
Yes, they all fit on a 2020. I just did it to mine.

Grabber Lime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
uhg! i literally installed a Cowl Brace and STB the other day on my Base GT now i see there is a cowl extension and K member, more work ahead of me

Great thread dropping all the knowledge

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I'm confused again, so base GTs need to buy the K bracing AND the splash panel right?:blush:
I'm also considering if I need the Tower Brace or not, I really don't want to add any more weight to the front. Anyone have experience on this?

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are not the same and those from any brand are honestly not worth the weight. The front subframe is more than adequately stiff.
You think it's not worth it? "Weight" is a sensitive word for me man, lol. Even the stock base GT handles adequately well for me, if you say it this way, I think I'll sell it since it's still in my storage.
What do ya think about the strut tower brace?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
You think it's not worth it? "Weight" is a sensitive word for me man, lol. Even the stock base GT handles adequately well for me, if you say it this way, I think I'll sell it since it's still in my storage.
All of the pieces referenced in the subject of this thread are meaningful and worthwhile for rigidity and load triangulation. They are a noticeable improvement in feel and consistency.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
^
The base GT handles decent, yes, but there's a lot of room for improvement. IMO the strut tower brace isn't worth it just by itself, you need the rest of the pieces that work together with it. Then springs + dampers should be next on your list. The 18+ dampers are passable but they're definitely a weak point. Going over bumps at 120+ feels like you're sailing the high seas, lol. Which is somewhat forgivable, the base trim is meant for people who generally want to cruise and not rattle their teeth on bumps.

Last edited:

jpogi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg
Sorry I'm confused again, so base GTs need to buy the K bracing AND the splash panel right?:blush:
I'm also considering if I need the Tower Brace or not, I really don't want to add any more weight to the front. Anyone have experience on this?
Yep. The splash panel is good if you change your own oil because you now only have to remove one small screw to open a flap to get to the oil filter. Kbrace and the splash panel are separate items but they go together under the car.

Oem Strut bar is only a little less than 7 lbs. I bought it as a pair with firewall brace (10 lbs) for only $175. Problem with strut bar is the access of the oil dipstick.
Sponsored