Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
^
The base GT handles decent, yes, but there's a lot of room for improvement. IMO the strut tower brace isn't worth it just by itself, you need the rest of the pieces that work together with it. Then springs + dampers should be next on your list. The 18+ dampers are passable but they're definitely a weak point. Going over bumps at 120+ feels like you're sailing the high seas, lol. Which is somewhat forgivable, the base trim is meant for people who generally want to cruise and not rattle their teeth on bumps.
Ok, ordering the items soon, thanks for convincing me to spend guys! (just kidding!):crackup:
I already bought the Koni Active on 4 corners, what do you think? I don't want to change the ride height for sure, gonna scrape my belly if I do, since the road here aren't so nice.
Sponsored

Grabber Lime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
just bought all the parts from my local dealer for my Base GT i had already installed the Cowl and STB 2 months back, now the extension and K brace this thread is everything looking forward to the install

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
With a little finesse, you can easily check your oil level with the Ford strut brace in place. Go for it.

Mine has all the Ford reinforcements.

CVCashmere

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
just bought all the parts from my local dealer for my Base GT i had already installed the Cowl and STB 2 months back, now the extension and K brace this thread is everything looking forward to the install
agreed.
it’s a bit more annoying but it’s far from impossible.

Sponsored

JR007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
With a little finesse, you can easily check your oil level with the Ford strut brace in place. Go for it.

Mine has all the Ford reinforcements.

CVCashmere
This is a 100% true statement. I just found this out after installing my parts. Just have to be easy and you can definitely check the oil level.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Hey Folks.

Years later I wanted to pop in and see if anything needs to be amended to the post. I saw some people mention they needed to order a fourth cowl bolt to complete the firewall extension install, I thought this would have been a re-used bolt from one of the four removed from the plastic factory brace - but if there is misinformation that's making you guys have to get more parts than what I mentioned, well, that's my bad. Can anyone verify that there needs to be 4 (not 3) cowl bolts to complete the install on the upper braces? I'll edit the OP to make sure people don't have to dig through the whole thread.

Thanks.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hey Folks.

Years later I wanted to pop in and see if anything needs to be amended to the post. I saw some people mention they needed to order a fourth cowl bolt to complete the firewall extension install, I thought this would have been a re-used bolt from one of the four removed from the plastic factory brace - but if there is misinformation that's making you guys have to get more parts than what I mentioned, well, that's my bad. Can anyone verify that there needs to be 4 (not 3) cowl bolts to complete the install on the upper braces? I'll edit the OP to make sure people don't have to dig through the whole thread.

Thanks.
Yes, you need four bolts. Not sure when Ford quit using one of them on the plastic piece, but I believe most 2019 and 2020 cars will need 4. I know mine did.

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yes, you need four bolts. Not sure when Ford quit using one of them on the plastic piece, but I believe most 2019 and 2020 cars will need 4. I know mine did.
So, including the factory bolts, 7 bolts total (4 for the cowl extension and then 3 for the extension panel)? Will it work with 6 because I only ordered 3? D:

Edit: I thought only 3 additional bolts were needed for the extension panel (red circles) and that one of the original factory bolts can be used for the other hole (green square) once you mount the actual cowl on top?

@Kevin08 Is that right or am I misunderstanding the install? Don't have my parts yet (still being shipped from Tasca)

2021-01-03 21_27_07-PP Strut Tower Brace kit + Cowl Extension + Lower K Brace Install Guide _ ...png

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So, including the factory bolts, 7 bolts total (4 for the cowl extension and then 3 for the extension panel)? Will it work with 6 because I only ordered 3? D:

Edit: I thought only 3 additional bolts were needed for the extension panel (red circles) and that one of the original factory bolts can be used for the other hole (green square) once you mount the actual cowl on top?

@Kevin08 Is that right or am I misunderstanding the install? Don't have my parts yet (still being shipped from Tasca)

2021-01-03 21_27_07-PP Strut Tower Brace kit + Cowl Extension + Lower K Brace Install Guide _ ...png
I looked up a picture of when I got the parts. The plastic "brace" only has 4 bolts, while the metal cowl brace has 5 bolt holes. You need three for the extension plate and then that one extra to make up the deficit for a total of 7 bolts.

If for some reason you are missing one, I doubt everything is going to explode though.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Hmm... It seems to me that I just used the original recommended BOM and had all of the hardware that I needed for my 2020.

I'll pop the hood and take a look at that highlighted spot...maybe I need to order one more!

Last edited:

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus
I did the install when I first got my GT, it worked the same way as it did with my 2017 Eco. The plastic battery cover brace had 4 bolts holding it on and I need 3 more for the cowl extension. Total is seven bolts.

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I received my parts and completed this install today.

For my 2020 GT, there are 3 bolts for the back of the cowl extension panel as circled in red.

2FD94914-883E-4237-9E5F-224EA8385943.png

And then I mounted the cowl brace on top, which I was able to actually use 5 cowl panel bolts (W717964-5450B) to secure it. I had only ordered 3 of them, but I received 4 in a pack from Tasca parts.

So I ended up with 8 total bolts (4 from factory and 4 from Tasca) and was able to use all 8 (3 for cowl extension panel and 5 for the cowl brace).

Cowl brace definitely would’ve been okay with only 4 bolts (like how the factory plastic brace was), but I just went ahead and put the 5th one in since I wasn’t going to do anything else with the extra bolt.

Overall, very very solid upgrade and, similar to others’ experience, I HIGHLY recommend it. Super easy install and very cheap mod for what it actually provides.

2016 GT/CS Laila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4, 2018 Taurus
I received my parts and completed this install today.

For my 2020 GT, there are 3 bolts for the back of the cowl extension panel as circled in red.

2FD94914-883E-4237-9E5F-224EA8385943.png

And then I mounted the cowl brace on top, which I was able to actually use 5 cowl panel bolts (W717964-5450B) to secure it. I had only ordered 3 of them, but I received 4 in a pack from Tasca parts.

So I ended up with 8 total bolts (4 from factory and 4 from Tasca) and was able to use all 8 (3 for cowl extension panel and 5 for the cowl brace).

Cowl brace definitely would’ve been okay with only 4 bolts (like how the factory plastic brace was), but I just went ahead and put the 5th one in since I wasn’t going to do anything else with the extra bolt.

Overall, very very solid upgrade and, similar to others’ experience, I HIGHLY recommend it. Super easy install and very cheap mod for what it actually provides.
This is correct and I didn’t even notice. The Ford install instructions for the K and strut tower brace call for reuse of the original bolts from the plastic brace (4). We added a new part which ADDS a new part to the install. I was cleaning out my spare parts and noticed a missing bolt so I checked.

Long story short, I can see four bolts without lifting the cowl cover so I popped it up an found one more. I had ordered an additional set of bolts originally because one supplier was taking too long so I had too many and installed the extra without thinking about it. Proper install requires 8 bolts.

Brace.jpg
Sponsored