Sponsored

Ford Performance Power Pack Calibration Questions

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi All,

I'm considering one of the Ford Power Packs for my '17 GT, but as I don't know of anyone running one in the UK, thought I'd try here with a couple of questions I have.

1. How does the 'optimised shift schedule' affect the auto 'box? Is it much more aggressive than the stock shift schedule in normal mode? I previously had an SCT tune that would not shift out of first until way after 2.5k RPM, even under the gentlest of throttle. This made it uncomfortable to drive normally. Also can a 'stock' style shift pattern be selected as an option during the upload?

2. Do you lose the 'rev matching' on the down-shifts in sport/sport+ mode? Again, I found this with the SCT tune which made driving less comfortable and controlled on deceleration.

3. In the event that one is disappointed with the upgrade, can it be sold on to someone to use with a different vehicle, or is it forever married to the first vehicle it is put on?

4. Is the +40 tq @ 1500rpm on packs 1 & 2 really noticeable? This is the most appealing benefit to me for everyday driving.

Thanks!
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I can help with #3 & #4:

3. Once installed, it is married to your car's VIN# and can not be sold. It's yours forever.
4. Not that I mash the throttle at 1500rpms, but the torque increase is significant throughout the rev range. It's not some placebo effect either, it's a noticeable increase.

I installed my power pack 2 a few weeks ago. The biggest issue has been fuel consumption. I just can't keep my foot off the gas!

fabianvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 5.0
1. It is more aggressive in normal "D" and much more enjoyable to drive. In sports/sports+ it feels ALOT stronger
2. No it will still behave the same.
3. I believe it is married to the vehicle, however you will not be disappointed.
4. Yes it is noticeable, it just feels woken up and less laggy to get up and go.

Go for the upgrade, it's well worth it in my opinion. There is no way I could go back to stock tune

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
I had the PP2 on my manual 2017 and replaced it with Lund. It sounds like it works much better with auto. It did did feel like it had better power although the dyno results were not great. The no lift shift caused problems with high rev up shifts on the race track and I had quite a bit of low rev surging from the throttle body. I’ve gone back to the stock TB with Lund 93, Flex and e85r tunes. I wouldn’t do it again, it was disappointing.

macmacma

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (PP)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the PP2 on my manual 2017 and replaced it with Lund. It sounds like it works much better with auto. It did did feel like it had better power although the dyno results were not great. The no lift shift caused problems with high rev up shifts on the race track and I had quite a bit of low rev surging from the throttle body. I’ve gone back to the stock TB with Lund 93, Flex and e85r tunes. I wouldn’t do it again, it was disappointing.
Could you give some more detail about the power difference you felt between the PP2 and the Lund/stock tb setup? I am trying to find the optimal intake setup for road course driving. The PP2 was appealing because of the torque gains, but it sounds like it was underwhelming for you compared to the Lund tune?
Could you describe what the Low rev surging is and what that feels like? Did it happen on track or just on the street?

Sponsored

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT V8 6R80 Auto Vert pp 3.55
1. It is more aggressive in normal "D" and much more enjoyable to drive. In sports/sports+ it feels ALOT stronger
2. No it will still behave the same.
3. I believe it is married to the vehicle, however you will not be disappointed.
4. Yes it is noticeable, it just feels woken up and less laggy to get up and go.

Go for the upgrade, it's well worth it in my opinion. There is no way I could go back to stock tune
Totally according to these answers, mine is a auto and I can say it looks like a totally different car, I wouldn't go back to stock unless I went crazy.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
only think i don't like is that it's more apt to downshift when it really doesn't need to in D.

example, just cruising at 50 and you'll be in 6th and maybe get to a slight hill or even just depress the accelerator slightly and the car can definitely hold 6th, it will instead downshift to 5th, then almost immediately upshift back to 6th. can get annoying but besides that no complaints. PP1 here.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for all your advice. I've gone for the PP1, mainly based on the low down torque gains which I think will be really useful in a daily driver. The cost for these upgrades in the UK is ridiculous (You could get a PP2 in the states for what I'm paying for the PP1). I didn't want to stretch to PP2 because of the cost and it didn't seem to offer too much over the PP1 in terms of low end power. Also, if I decided I didn't like the changes it makes to the shift schedule, It wouldn't seem such a waste of money.

Should be here in a couple of days, so I'll get it installed and let you know what I think.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Could you give some more detail about the power difference you felt between the PP2 and the Lund/stock tb setup? I am trying to find the optimal intake setup for road course driving. The PP2 was appealing because of the torque gains, but it sounds like it was underwhelming for you compared to the Lund tune?
Could you describe what the Low rev surging is and what that feels like? Did it happen on track or just on the street?
The low rev surging was on street, it would buck and hop until I clutched in, very annoying. The Lund tune feels better all round. I don’t have a back to back dyno comparison.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So my PP1 kit turned up yesterday and I was surprised to find out it appears to be a US kit. I know that the only difference between the US kit and an export/EU kit will be the software, but I decided to buy locally (at an extra cost of up to ÂŁ300) because the kits sold in the US state that they are for US/Canadian vehicles only. So I was expecting the kit I bought to contain paperwork with maybe a non-US website to download the tune from and perhaps some UK/EU phone numbers for tech support - but it is ALL US.

Therefore, I'm thinking now, the only distinction between the US and the UK 'Kit' is when I put my VIN into the website that you download the tune from?

If that's the case, surely I can save myself hundreds of GB Pounds by returning the kit and purchasing again from a US based international seller, on eBay for example.

Can anyone confirm whether this would be the case or point me in the direction of say, a Ford tech, who would know the definitive answer?

Thanks.

Sponsored

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So my PP1 kit turned up yesterday and I was surprised to find out it appears to be a US kit. I know that the only difference between the US kit and an export/EU kit will be the software, but I decided to buy locally (at an extra cost of up to ÂŁ300) because the kits sold in the US state that they are for US/Canadian vehicles only. So I was expecting the kit I bought to contain paperwork with maybe a non-US website to download the tune from and perhaps some UK/EU phone numbers for tech support - but it is ALL US.

Therefore, I'm thinking now, the only distinction between the US and the UK 'Kit' is when I put my VIN into the website that you download the tune from?

If that's the case, surely I can save myself hundreds of GB Pounds by returning the kit and purchasing again from a US based international seller, on eBay for example.

Can anyone confirm whether this would be the case or point me in the direction of say, a Ford tech, who would know the definitive answer?

Thanks.
Don't do that.When you enter the VIN and the key that comes in the box intended for the U.S., will not let you download the tune.

I imagine that they do that so that the Europeans pay more, they must think that here we are all millionaires, a pity, because if the prices were more in line with those in the U.S. would sell much more.

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
The low rev surging was on street, it would buck and hop until I clutched in, very annoying. The Lund tune feels better all round. I don’t have a back to back dyno comparison.
Power diff wont be much. I guarantee that.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Don't do that.When you enter the VIN and the key that comes in the box intended for the U.S., will not let you download the tune.

I imagine that they do that so that the Europeans pay more, they must think that here we are all millionaires, a pity, because if the prices were more in line with those in the U.S. would sell much more.
For all intents and purposes, the key (voucher) that's in the box IS a US one! I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll post pictures later. I don't think an export version exists. Of course the tune revision you download will be different between US and Export, but my guess is that the download offered will be purely based on the VIN rather than have anything to do with the voucher code.

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For all intents and purposes, the key (voucher) that's in the box IS a US one! I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll post pictures later. I don't think an export version exists. Of course the tune revision you download will be different between US and Export, but my guess is that the download offered will be purely based on the VIN rather than have anything to do with the voucher code.
You will download a USA tune, and when you go to flash it in the car, the system will detect that it is a European car and will not install it, it will give error.

This is my own experience after speaking with CJ Pony Parts and Ford Performance, as well as reading the experience of some users, in Germany, who tried to do the same without success.

But, well, you can try and then tell your experience.
Sponsored