Potholes! Ugh!

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
I've been itching to install my 20s from Steeda but every day to work it's like playing hide and seek with pot holes on the road. This winter has destroyed our roads in Buffalo, NY.

Trying to make a mental map of all of the major ones to avoid them in a few weeks. Some are hard to see at 6am but this weekend is spring forward, so maybe a little more day light will be available to spot them soon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JCat

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
Wow, sorry man! Did you see it coming? From the damage it seems like you would have been driving up to a miniature grand canyon. I slalom around potholes all of the time...
I had about a half of a second to brace myself but not enough time to do anything else. I was changing lanes from right to left to get out of the way of a merging big rig and my attention was on the truck to make sure it didn't kill me. Didn't notice the crater in the road until it was way too late. Almost lost control. I suppose it could have been worse.

I'd love to take a picture of it but I can't really stop to take photos on this stretch of road without ending up with a whole other set of problems lol. Had to be a foot deep and 2 feet square.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Where I live and drive, the winter is hard on roads here, also the State uses to much salt, ie, chemicals to de-ice all the roads, and those chemicals are hard on bridges cause they seep down into the expansion sections and rust all the steel reinforcing. However, I pretty much have the Mn. DOT on speed dial to report potholes, and super big up cracks^ that just KILL a vehicles suspension components over a short amount of time. But I will admit, most everything I have reported, ( over the last several years) they have repaired, although a lot of em are temporary, some are permanent. So it might help if folks called,, and call often!!!

OP
OP
JCat

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
You should go back and if possible take a pic of the offending pot hole. Then, go to or call the Twp Municpal building and complain and require reimbursement for the damages. Many towns will reimburse with proof of repairs, pics of damages and location of the affected road way.

Worth a shot to see if you can get reimbursed.

Good luck!
My municipality used to reimburse for damages caused by potholes assuming that a complaint was made prior to any damage to your vehicle and nothing was done to fix it within 15 business days. Now they no longer even pretend to care and basically tell you to pound sand when you call to complain. This is what I learned today. :headbonk:

OP
OP
JCat

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
However, I pretty much have the Mn. DOT on speed dial to report potholes, and super big up cracks^ that just KILL a vehicles suspension components over a short amount of time. But I will admit, most everything I have reported, ( over the last several years) they have repaired, although a lot of em are temporary, some are permanent. So it might help if folks called,, and call often!!!
Good advice. Ours get fixed pretty regularly but there are soooo many of them it's damn near impossible to get them all. How they missed the crater I drove into is a mystery. :shrug:

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
When I've had rims repaired before they were never the same, so that's probably a good plan. Especially for forged wheels.

Scars on the rim can be fixed for a price but only if you can’t find new rims. If there are cracks some “claim” they can weld it. I tried this route and every time the car still had a slow leak. This took weeks. Never again! Just buy new rims.

Another idea is to buy smaller rims with a higher aspect ratio tire. That sucks for looks but the damage is less or not there at all. This rim busting hit can also damage the suspension. I am sure you check things out...right...

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Come to Michigan, the potholes have their own ZIP code!
Pothole.JPG

StangBANG

Patience; long suffering.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
15 Magnetic GT. Performance Pack Premium Redline
Blew out front and rear winter tires.. and rear shock... Gotta love dirty jersey!
20180225_110459-picsay.jpg
Sponsored