Sponsored

Potholes

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
As we all know, one of the drawbacks of winter driving is (the higher number of) potholes and more specifically highway potholes. I've hit a few small-medium ones so far, but I certainly felt them. I am curious to see how the redesigned suspension of these cars will hold up over time. It feels very firm on rough roads. Coming from a G37S Coupe, it fees/sounds like the car is taking more of a beating which is somewhat unexpected given the suspension and tire differences. What is everyone else's experience?
Sponsored

MSamuels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Mustang
Alls I can say is that if you think it's bad now, you aint ever driven a solid rear axle Mustang I'm guessing :p Those shudders would make you white. But I ofcourse loved it. Id gun it and go over em even faster just for the thrill. These new ones still have a bit of that but it doesnt bother me.

mustang#16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the GT base suspension and it does a good job of soaking up the potholes. Well, maybe not soaking them up, LOL, but they're no big deal.

Aaleck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, Premium, Manual
It's not the suspension you should really worry about, it's the wheels. At least for me in Michigan, I'm a professional pot hole avoider.

Last year I took a road trip from Michigan to Florida. I bent one wheel from a Grand Canyon of a pot hole going into Washington DC and then I bent both wheels on my right hand side 100 miles from home on some road debris at night. I had 20" AMR's... Costed me $450 to replace.

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Alls I can say is that if you think it's bad now, you aint ever driven a solid rear axle Mustang I'm guessing :p
You are correct.:)

It's not the suspension you should really worry about, it's the wheels. At least for me in Michigan, I'm a professional pot hole avoider.

Last year I took a road trip from Michigan to Florida. I bent one wheel from a Grand Canyon of a pot hole going into Washington DC and then I bent both wheels on my right hand side 100 miles from home on some road debris at night. I had 20" AMR's... Costed me $450 to replace.
The memories of repairing a double wishbone suspension are quickly recalled after hearing that 'BANG..BANG' noise.:rant:

I am fairly good at avoiding them as well and the roads are good in my neck of the woods, but you always get those seasonal ones after the first snow/ice storm and you are bound to hit a few until you learn them/they get fixed.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Tally for four years of driving over potholed roads in New York in my S197: Four (five?) tire blowouts; two sets of rear shocks (in 45,000 miles). You deal with it.
Sponsored