Sponsored

Potential oil cooler failure - Aug 2017 shadow edition

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
If you get past 10k miles does that mean your probably ‘safe’ from the oil cooler failure issue ?
Lets hope so. Mine is march 2016, just over 3 years old and its done 14,800 miles. it has a bit of a blast every now and then but in normal circumstances its driven to speed limits. Hope mine is now "safe" from this issue.

sorry to hear about your car Robbie and hope its fixed and back on the road soon.
Sponsored

marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
This is awful, really sorry to hear this. It's a little terrifying isnt it... I don't know what mods invalidate a warranty which always makes me too scared to change anything engine-related. All i've done is a muffler delete and i'm even nervous about that!

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0GT Fastback
I was a mile from the M4 exit, I’d done a 75mile journey averaging “70”mph but not excessive, the last section must be a good 10-15miles of 50mph, within a mile of that after 3 sets of what I would call regular traffic light stops it went.
Hope all goes well Robbie - sounds like a catastrophic failure.

I've only done 2,800 miles in my 2017 (May) built car... I suppose anything could happen at any time, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Robbie

Robbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Appreciate the thoughts, it has knocked me. Buying a brand new car you don’t expect such a failure. Hopefully everything will be resolved amicably with the dealer

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'd be surprised if they give you any grief about it with regard to mods. This is a known issue, I think they'll just have to suck it up. I hope so anyway. Hopefully mine's not about to go bang either!

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates from Ford on your car Robbie? Hope they are doing the decent thing.

Maybe interesting to compile a list of all members who’s cooler failed and approx mileage at failure to see if there is any commonality.

OP
OP
Robbie

Robbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Any updates from Ford on your car Robbie? Hope they are doing the decent thing.

Maybe interesting to compile a list of all members who’s cooler failed and approx mileage at failure to see if there is any commonality.
Ford phoned today, they diagnosed the car today as an oil cooler failure. They are flushing the cooling system and the engine is okay... They have run it all up and it’s performing well and runs as it should.
They missed the cut off point for ordering the cooler next day so it will be in Tuesday.

Not being too technically minded when it comes to engine internals and measuring wear. What tests can I request they undertake to prove the engine hasn’t been damaged?
Compression test? Borescope or whatever the cam thing is to check bores?
Anybody know?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah ford U.K. have a tendency to not swap the engine. Ford Australia seem far more inclined to follow the official ford procedure and swap the engine.
If they test the oil for contamination which came up clean and it didn’t drop below the bottom line on the stick then I suspect all is good. Either way I would personally get some of the oil out myself and conduct an independent test as once it’s out of warranty it’s your problem.
U.K. dealers seem to be stating that the oil pressure is greater than the coolant pressure so when the cooler fails the oil goes into the water only. Anyone who has ever removed a coolant tank cap on a hot engine may well question this....

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ford phoned today, they diagnosed the car today as an oil cooler failure. They are flushing the cooling system and the engine is okay... They have run it all up and it’s performing well and runs as it should.
They missed the cut off point for ordering the cooler next day so it will be in Tuesday.

Not being too technically minded when it comes to engine internals and measuring wear. What tests can I request they undertake to prove the engine hasn’t been damaged?
Compression test? Borescope or whatever the cam thing is to check bores?
Anybody know?
Good to hear.

Have you shot these questions back at the dealership? If they don’t know the answers, i’m pretty sure they’ll try to find out.

When they had mine they referenced speaking to the Mustang master technician and were well informed on a lot of details. Certainly answered my barrage of questions!

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
U.K. dealers seem to be stating that the oil pressure is greater than the coolant pressure so when the cooler fails the oil goes into the water only. Anyone who has ever removed a coolant tank cap on a hot engine may well question this....
Which is fine until you stop the engine. Oil pressure drops to zero, coolant pressure stays the same, or actually rises with heat soak. Just down to luck whether you notice the failure at this point or get in again and drive away.

Sponsored

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
From experience, keep an eye on your coolant once they have repaired it. It will need 3 - 5 more flushes after that to get all the oil out of the coolant system. They will also have to replace the coolant bottle as it will be ruined.

It happened to mine a long time ago at about 3.5k miles. Ruined the Mustang experience for me so sold the car shortly after.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I realise there have been some deleted posts on this thread. Bizarrely, the email notification I saw of one of the deleted posts includes the PM's between the two protagonists. Can admins please investigate; doesn't seem right. Anyone else see this?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I realise there have been some deleted posts on this thread. Bizarrely, the email notification I saw of one of the deleted posts includes the PM's between the two protagonists. Can admins please investigate; doesn't seem right. Anyone else see this?
Seems the guy just copy/pasted his pm chat. Unrelated to this thread so I deleted, looks like the guy only joined the forum to do just that.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't see anything, oddly

@Jarstang if it involves PM it's your field of jurisdiction as Kris/TT can't pickup them.
Sponsored