ported intake no tune?

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
So word is ....that you can install a ported intake and dont need a tune??? for the 18-23 mustang if you install a ported 18+ intake you dont wont need a tune but will benefit more if you got a tune ...according to Palm Beach Dyno .... dont know if anyone has ever tried it .
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
What ported intake?

Does some company make one?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It will work without a tune.

I would want to see a flow bench chart on the finished manifold. Easy to screw one up.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Of course you are gonna benefit from a tune… no matter if you’re stock or not. I’m sure you can add a ported IM and the pcm will adjust to what it sees just like when adding LTH headers. But if you don’t have a tune and add a ported IM a tuner maybe able to squeeze out more that what the pcm changes turn out to be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
Agreed … Palm beach is claiming 10-15 hp … now is 600$ worth that? Maybe if you got supporting mods that will eventually go with it

Dapepper9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Of course you are gonna benefit from a tune… no matter if you’re stock or not. I’m sure you can add a ported IM and the pcm will adjust to what it sees just like when adding LTH headers. But if you don’t have a tune and add a ported IM a tuner maybe able to squeeze out more that what the pcm changes turn out to be.
this

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yes, the PCM can certainly adjust for the slight increase in air volume through the lambda O2 sensors and MAF.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I highly doubt you'll see any benefits from a tune for a ported intake. Unless you know EXACTLY how much volume was added compared to stock. That's the only thing the tune cares about.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The engine cares about flow balance.
I said tune, which doesn't care about flow balance. cause you know.. the front feed engines we have.

Anyways.. have yet to see flow sheets on any ported manifold. Plus, they're always done at 28" vac. Even at idle you ain't getting more than 21" vac or so. Hogged out intake ports leave a large step on the cylinder port head. which IMO causes more of a restriction. Unless of course one PORT MATCHES. That involves scribe marks ,machinist dye & a very skilled hand. All those 8-10hp gains you see are probably due to a rpm bump on those 'revised tunes' or simple variations. Weather/dyno/whatever. Even funnier are those claiming 50+ hp increase. Guys who really know what they are doing will get you 5-10 hp per/ cylinder. But that involves doing both the intake/exhaust ports + intake manifold ports + port match intake to cylinder head.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
There have been a few dyno shoot outs, on YouTube, that have shown that on model years 18+ a ported intake doesn’t do anything for power gains. Maybe they where doing it wrong🤷🏼‍♂️ but there was no discernible difference. Will a tune be able to extract anything? Maybe and if I’m going to go down that road, then I’m getting a bigger TB, full exhaust, bigger injectors with an E85 tune.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
well ...there you're wrong, the Gen 3 intake on a Gen1-2 Coyote has shown to get good gains on prior coyote motors ...and the Gen 3 intake is probably by price the best intake you can have for a coyote motor. the Boss is out dated, CJ intake is too damn expensive for very little gains over a gen 3 intake.. and the gt350 and the gen 3 intakes are almost identical already ...the gen 3 intake was based off the gt350 intake manifold. VMP shown this in videos already.
Sponsored