Sponsored

Ported 2018 Intake Mani vs Ported GT350 Intake Mani?

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ported 2018 intake manifold vs Ported GT350 intake manifold. Just curious , which one would make better power and ois overall better? since there is a big price difference on these two Intake manifold,

Has anyone ran any?

Im falling towards the ported 2018 Manifold ...

any advice?

thanks!!
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I went with a ported 350 IM just because I got a helluva package deal through a sponsor. No matter what I think you'll reap the rewards. The 18-20 IM are cheaper in comparison.
Mine is a track car and that was a nice boost in power compared to my power pack 2 set up. If your a casual driver I would just leave it as-is though.

One thing to be wary of is the IMRC, it's shaft, cracking, lockouts etc.

OP
OP
Einstein_nikola

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I went with a ported 350 IM just because I got a helluva package deal through a sponsor. No matter what I think you'll reap the rewards. The 18-20 IM are cheaper in comparison.
Mine is a track car and that was a nice boost in power compared to my power pack 2 set up. If your a casual driver I would just leave it as-is though.

One thing to be wary of is the IMRC, it's shaft, cracking, lockouts etc.
Awesome!!! Its better at high rpms I saw but what do you mean Cracking on the IMRC? Why worry about that? Have you had problems?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Awesome!!! Its better at high rpms I saw but what do you mean Cracking on the IMRC? Why worry about that? Have you had problems?
There's a lot on it, Just keep reading into it.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
VMP did a "manifold shootout" a few years ago with all of the popular ones: Boss, GT350, Cobra Jet, 18+, etc. Here is the youtube vid:

A couple of thoughts...

1. @BlackandBlue is right, the 18+ edges out the GT350 in peak horsepower.
2. I believe there are hood clearance issues with the Cobra Jet, so that could be a problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Einstein_nikola

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
VMP did a "manifold shootout" a few years ago with all of the popular ones: Boss, GT350, Cobra Jet, 18+, etc. Here is the youtube vid:

A couple of thoughts...

1. @BlackandBlue is right, the 18+ edges out the GT350 in peak horsepower.
2. I believe there are hood clearance issues with the Cobra Jet, so that could be a problem.
Yea thats what i heard that the CJ is the best but that requires putting lowering motor mounts snd thats a pain in my opinion , or is it worth?

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Yea thats what i heard that the CJ is the best but that requires putting lowering motor mounts snd thats a pain in my opinion , or is it worth?
A lot of people just cut the rear under support of the hood for clearance.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/18-intake-manifold-on-15-17.95295/page-149#post-2862218 < This post has some actual data in it. Pretty well shows GT350 is the better of the two. Kelly isn't an average joe when it comes to this stuff either.

The VMP test is a bit misleading as they don't run the engine out to 8000 to show the true characteristics of all the manifolds. The 18+ is hard to beat for the money.
Yeah. The GT350 will win if you rev high enough.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
A lot of people just cut the rear under support of the hood for clearance.
IDK...I've never done something like that to my car so it would suck to go with the CJ, then try to cut the support and wind up not getting the result you want.

Yeah. The GT350 will win if you rev high enough.
Never thought of that...those 350's are animals in the upper RPM band.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
^^^ Yeah, kinda risky. I definitely don't mind cutting holes in my car (Check my YouTube) but that is a little more intense than what I want to do lol.

+1 on the upper RPM band with the ported 350 IM. It's a symphony on the straights at the track.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Don't kid yourself. The GT350 is the KING DADDY of every CMCV intakes & most aftermarket intakes. The Cobra Jet is KING GRANDDADDY of them all. If a vid says otherwise, they're doing it wrong.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
^^^ Yeah, kinda risky. I definitely don't mind cutting holes in my car (Check my YouTube) but that is a little more intense than what I want to do lol.

+1 on the upper RPM band with the ported 350 IM. It's a symphony on the straights at the track.
Don't kid yourself. The GT350 is the KING DADDY of every CMCV intakes & most aftermarket intakes. The Cobra Jet is KING GRANDDADDY of them all. If a vid says otherwise, they're doing it wrong.
Not gonna disagree with either of you; I firmly agree with both of you.

But if you're going to factor in cost, the 18+ IM is tempting. Sure, it won't get you quite the results of the 350 or CJ, but the price is attractive.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Not gonna disagree with either of you; I firmly agree with both of you.

But if you're going to factor in cost, the 18+ IM is tempting. Sure, it won't get you quite the results of the 350 or CJ, but the price is attractive.
Bang for buck, it's a good play. And you don't have to worry about revving to 8K or beyond, or modifying the hood or lowering the engine. If I were to do the CJ or 350 I would absolutely upgrade the OPGs, etc.