Plasti-Dip temperature requirement?

Brownw01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walter
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP Guard
Planning on blacking out my ponies. Is there a temperature that I have to be up to for the plasti-dip?

I live in CT and do not have a garage. Want to see if I'm gonna have to find one to do this or wait for spring?

The high temp the next 10 days here is 43 degrees.
Sponsored

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
I was actually curious if there was a temp limit, like say exhaust tips?
Too hot, would it melt off?

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
The temp doesn't really matter for plastidipping as long as you keep the can warm. I have dipped stuff when the temp was in the 30's. Just spray a coat, then put the can in some warm water until you are ready for the next coat.

BlackWidow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2016 GT PP MT
Planning on blacking out my ponies. Is there a temperature that I have to be up to for the plasti-dip?

I live in CT and do not have a garage. Want to see if I'm gonna have to find one to do this or wait for spring?

Plasti-dip does not like to be sprayed in the cold. What I would suggest is to fill a bucket with warm water and let the cans sit in the water for 5-10 minutes (obviously don't let them get too hot). That should give you enough time to spray a coat or two then just repeat. This is what I did last winter when I painted my emblems. Cold can = very rough spray pattern.

I was actually curious if there was a temp limit, like say exhaust tips?
As long as the tips are double rolled you should be ok. The stock exhaust tips should be fine. Aftermarket systems will vary, although most i've seen use double rolled tips. If the plastidip gets too hot it will harden and crack and not come off without damaging whatever surface it is applied too. This is really only a concern when you are talking about temps in excess of several hundred degrees. Just baking in the sun isn't going to harm it. Ask me how i know ;)

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang

I'll prolly wait for warmer weather, just so I can take my time and do a clean looking job. Also wanna put a light tint on turn signals and back up light. Going for the green and black look. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
I had my rear valence done on my GTI before and the exhaust tips were not hot enough to melt the plstidip off. As long as it is not touching anything hot it should be good

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
People warming the can's so it is good to spray? How about when the plasti dip hits the cold metal? Physics? No? To the OP do not spray plasti dip on a cold surface at all! And with 43 degrees hitting your town it will not cure right. Here a quote and your temps getting 22 degrees lower. Think about twice.

Temperature is also an important factor when applying Plasti Dip. Ideally, Plasti Dip should be applied at “room temperature” temperatures, from 65-70°F.
http://www.plastidip.com/blog/2012/03/plasti-dip-tech-tips/

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Keep the cans warm! And get one of these!
image.jpg
Sponsored