Pilot bearing removal?

Corey_cars

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Just about to swap the clutch in my car to a LPXHD, Lightened steel flywheel, mgw x spec flat stick, mccleod clutch line and high load pilot bushing. Had enough of the lock out issues and sloppy shifts so I'm changing it all, my question is what tool and method do you guys use to remove the pilot bearing in these cars? Just trying to make it a headache free install of everything. Thanks guys
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
They make an attachment for slide hammers to pull a pilot bearing/bushing. Or you can pack the center hole with grease and hammer a steel or brass rod in there. The grease will act like hydraulic fluid and force the bearing out.

OP
OP
Corey_cars

Corey_cars

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
They make an attachment for slide hammers to pull a pilot bearing/bushing. Or you can pack the center hole with grease and hammer a steel or brass rod in there. The grease will act like hydraulic fluid and force the bearing out.
I've done the grease trick before and the toilet paper, somebody told me that doesn't work on these bearings. Thanks for the advice

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Your local AutoZone has the pilot bearing removal loaner tool.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Will pizza dough or an Everything Bagel work too? 😆
It might! Ive seen and heard of folks using all kinds of materials with varying success. I always use the slide hammer tool.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Make it easy and get a jaw puller and slide hammer.

The old school tricks CAN definitely work but to a varying degree of success. On my old 4.6 GT I tried a couple and ultimately ended up getting a puller after driving myself insane LOL.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
The old school solutions work great, on the old style solid brass bearings. On the newer roller bearings, not so much. Use a puller on the roller style.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I just borrowed a puller from Autozone.
BTW, I have the exact same setup.

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
That’s how I used to do it. Pack the center hole. We used to use dum dum which was like thick putty. That’s what we called it. 😁 It worked great. Grease is probably much easier to clean out.