Sponsored

Pickup vs Delivery vs Ordered car - pros/cons?

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
The other con for Ordered is that you potentially get less room for negotiation on the price. They know it is exactly what you wanted and that you were willing to wait for it. Some dealers will use that to keep the price at MSRP instead of going lower.
I would have to disagree with this. It's all based on the dealer. A good dealer will negotiate just as deep on an order than one on the lot, at least that was my experience.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to disagree with this. It's all based on the dealer. A good dealer will negotiate just as deep on an order than one on the lot, at least that was my experience.
I did say some dealers will use it against you...If they know it is what you want, they have more of the bargaining power. Great dealers will give you the same deal regardless because they know the amount they want to make on the sale and value potential repeat customers.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
One pro for an ordered car is that I don't pay for options I don't want, but were added to an inventory car.

What is the secret to getting a deal lower than Xplan for an ordered car?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
What is the secret to getting a deal lower than Xplan for an ordered car?
Get a confirmed X plan offer from a convenient local dealer. Then use that number as your starting point when you talk to the rest of the guys.

"You need to beat $XX,XXX by enough to make it worth my coming here"
"We can't do that."
"OK, thanks for your time".

In my case, there were two different paths. At the first place, they let me walk. At the second and third, the price started to drop rather than let me walk out the door.

Glacierbrew907

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Does this look like a good deal to you guys? Rebates would be added later.

2019 mustang order.JPG

Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Does this look like a good deal to you guys? Rebates would be added later.

2019 mustang order.JPG
I have exact same car on order (different color) and i got 4500 off of the msrp before rebates/incentives.

Glacierbrew907

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
I have exact same car on order (different color) and i got 4500 off of the msrp before rebates/incentives.
Nice! Good to know there's more to go. How did you approach the dealer? Online or in person? I'm willing to go out of state and do long road trip back. What color you going with?

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Nice! Good to know there's more to go. How did you approach the dealer? Online or in person? I'm willing to go out of state and do long road trip back. What color you going with?
I went with velocity blue and show stopper red interior. The one difficulty you will run into now is you don't technically have walk away power anymore as you can no longer place a new factory order. That said, you just have to convince them that they have not earned your buisness, again difficult to do when the order has been placed. I called my ordering dealer from another dealerships lot, said i was not getting the deal i wanted and wanted to see if invoice was in fact the best deal out there and they quickly made the better deal all over the phone. I would call in and say something like " i think i need to cancel my order..i was talking with another dealer who seems like they are prepared to get me into the same car at a better deal. Bottom line is they can get me 4k off before incentives, so i would like to see 4.5k off before the incentives to earn my buisness" its a bluff but if you can sell it, might be you best bet.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
So far, I've not seen any movement below invoice/Xplan. If that is the case, then ordering is better, so I get what I want, and don't pay for what I don't want. But I don't see dealers offering below Xplan for an ordered car (i.e. before incentives).

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
So far, I've not seen any movement below invoice/Xplan. If that is the case, then ordering is better, so I get what I want, and don't pay for what I don't want. But I don't see dealers offering below Xplan for an ordered car (i.e. before incentives).
X-plan, depending on the MSRP of the vehicle, will usually be about $100 over invoice. A good deal will be in the $500 - $1,000 below invoice. If you are a Costco member, Costco's auto buying program is usually around $400 - $500 below invoice. It's at least a good starting point for negotiation. There will typically be one or maybe two Costco participating dealers in a metropolitan area. This is all before any rebates or private cash offers which further reduce the price. The only thing you need to be cautious of are dealer admin fees. Under X-plan, these are limited to $100.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
The other con for Ordered is that you potentially get less room for negotiation on the price. They know it is exactly what you wanted and that you were willing to wait for it. Some dealers will use that to keep the price at MSRP instead of going lower.
I took this in the other direction. If I'm willing to wait a few months for a special order, another week to find the best price won't make a difference. First dealer went a little under x plan, the next found a zip code based incentive and Ford cash, I saved almost $1500. During that week, ordering closed for 2018 so I got a 2019 for that price.
Sponsored