Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
Yes, yes I am saying it affected people's decisions in buying the new GT500.
Not mine, the 2015 Mustang affected it more ;) In all honesty when Randy was making his comments about the brakes, first thing that came to mind was better pads, steel lines and upgraded tires would fix that, so no, wouldn't have affected nearly as much as him saying the visibility was terrible.
If people are planning on tracking their car, they most likely would be upgrading those anyway. I always look at a cars potential even if it includes doing some small low cost upgrades. Obviously if there are major cost involved to get the car where I want to be, then, yeah, I'm gone.

if you want better stopping distances you need better tires, not better brakes. There is PLENTY of brake torque coming out of far smaller brakes with far weaker pads than the Brembo packages and yet we are still getting 255's for tires BUT WE GET 15" ROTORS AND 6 Pot Brembos YAY!
I partially agree with this, braking force and tire grip should be a matched system. At lower speeds, tire grip is the first thing you notice, but at higher speeds, both play a factor. Stopping from 150mph you can bet you will want those 6 pot Brembos, but of course better tires too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chopsui

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Larger brakes aren't just about more braking torque, they're also about better heat absorption and fade resistance.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Larger brakes aren't just about more braking torque, they're also about better heat absorption and fade resistance.
Which has nothing to do with the false perception that bigger brakes = shorter stopping distance which was the whole reason I brought up brakes in the first place! ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I agree that Ford's tire sizing has been frustrating. I would say 255/275 should be standard on a GT. PP cars should be equipped with 275/295-305 Pilot Super Sports.
Frustrating, yes. And as much for backing down from 2008-ish wheel width philosophy (at or near max recommended for the 18" front tire sizes that year) as for the tire sizes themselves.

For reasons involving tramlining, it may be difficult to recommend tires much wider than 255/xx as the general fitment for any "regular" trim, but Ford does have sufficient history with 255/45's and 255/40's to at least use those. I'd like to see 265/40, on wheel size(s) dictated solely by brake fitment, on a minimum of 9.5" wide wheels as the GT/performance package starting points, with 285/35's or wider and 10.5" (ditto) as an uplevel performance option.

Lose the staggering of tire sizes for anything short of about 500 HP/torque. There are other, less frustrating ways of mechanically ensuring a little limit understeer than by simply throwing away front grip.

Norm

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Do you all think we will get directional or asymmetric tires with the staggered PP?

I'd like to know if I can rotate side to side or if I will be buying tires every 12 to 15K miles.

Sponsored

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
They are Pirelli PZeros, which are asymmetric. Even with rotations you will be replacing them after 12-15k miles. :p

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
They are Pirelli PZeros, which are asymmetric. Even with rotations you will be replacing them after 12-15k miles. :p
Thanks. That will probably mean from every 1.5 to 2 years for me. Looks like I need to work that into the budget. ;)

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
Thanks. That will probably mean from every 1.5 to 2 years for me. Looks like I need to work that into the budget. ;)
When they wear out replace them with Pilot Super Sports. They will last you much longer and are a much better tire in general. You could probably pull 20k out of the Super Sports, maybe more depending on how you drive.

JoeC1982

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ATS 2.0T
If i get the EB with performance pack instead of GT and it comes with the mesh 19's i will definitely have them up for sale very soon after purchase.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Lightened
lite.jpg

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
There may be two finishes...notice the EcoBoost PP has the Dark Charcoal and Black option...also the Vette Z06 has black and silver...seems to be the trend.
Sponsored