Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just putting this out here, as it’s the most recent communication (basically no change in Ford’s position on the subject matter):
IMG_5174.jpeg
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Would be great if they said what it was. Their declaration that it's not detrimental suggests they must know otherwise they couldn't make such a statement.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Would be great if they said what it was. Their declaration that it's not detrimental suggests they must know otherwise they couldn't make such a statement.
True, how hard would it be to say in the SSM what the cause was. My theory is it's caused by some big rod end side clearances being slightly out of spec on some engines. If it was something like that and they said so, it would look bad and some people would probably be upset to hear something like that. Big rod ends randomly dancing side to side on the crank journal at low RPM isn't going to hurt anything, just make some ticking noises.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
True, how hard would it be to say in the SSM what the cause was. My theory is it's caused by some big rod end side clearances being slightly out of spec on some engines. If it was something like that and they said so, it would look bad and some people would probably be upset to hear something like that. Big rod ends randomly dancing side to side on the crank journal at low RPM isn't going to hurt anything, just make some ticking noises.
My tick went away completely after I switched to Valvoline Extended Protection 5W30. But it was never a big deal anyway, I could only hear it occasionally if I really tried and was next to a wall or something. 5W20 to 5W30 isn't a huge increase in viscosity but it may mask a clearance issue like what you're describing, so there could be some merit to the theory.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My tick went away completely after I switched to Valvoline Extended Protection 5W30. But it was never a big deal anyway, I could only hear it occasionally if I really tried and was next to a wall or something. 5W20 to 5W30 isn't a huge increase in viscosity but it may mask a clearance issue like what you're describing, so there could be some merit to the theory.
I think it's more related to the friction level of the oil, but the viscosity can also play a role in terms of "cushioning" moving parts. That's why adding as little as 150 mL of Ceratec (a friction modifier) makes the ticking go away almost instantly due to the change in the friction level between moving parts. The way the rod big ends behave on the crank journals may be effected at lower RPM by the friction level of the oil. Some motor oils have better friction reducing additives (like Moly) than others, so using a motor oil with a relatively high Moly content may help reduce the ticking. My theory is that the way the rod big end moves around on the crank journal is effected by the friction level of the oil. And if the rod side clearance is on the max end of the clearance range, or slighlty out of spec, that magnifies the ticking.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think it's more related to the friction level of the oil, but the viscosity can also play a role in terms of "cushioning" moving parts. That's why adding as little as 150 mL of Ceratec (a friction modifier) makes the ticking go away almost instantly due to the change in the friction level between moving parts. The way the rod big ends behave on the crank journals may be effected at lower RPM by the friction level of the oil. Some motor oils have better friction reducing additives (like Moly) than others, so using a motor oil with a relatively high Moly content may help reduce the ticking. My theory is that the way the rod big end moves around on the crank journal is effected by the friction level of the oil. And if the rod side clearance is on the max end of the clearance range, or slighlty out of spec, that magnifies the ticking.
Valvoline EP has one of the highest moly counts out there so it definitely makes sense.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I've been using Ceratec for over 4 years now in my 2020, it has worked great and stopped the tick completely and I have had 0 issues with the engine. Have about 35k miles on the car.

After reading countless articles, videos, forum posts, etc, I think everyone who's really bothered by the tick just needs to add some Ceratec at every oil change and their problems would go away.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has never done this. It's life has all been on Motorcraft oil until recently I put PUP in it.

Is the tick more common on Gen 1 and 3 than Gen 2 or does mine just not have it?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I've been using Ceratec for over 4 years now in my 2020, it has worked great and stopped the tick completely and I have had 0 issues with the engine. Have about 35k miles on the car.

After reading countless articles, videos, forum posts, etc, I think everyone who's really bothered by the tick just needs to add some Ceratec at every oil change and their problems would go away.
Same! Ceratec is the way to go! Not only fixes the tick but I've gotten 1-2 better MPGs and I've seen lower CHTs while on the track. Good stuff :like:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has never done this. It's life has all been on Motorcraft oil until recently I put PUP in it.

Is the tick more common on Gen 1 and 3 than Gen 2 or does mine just not have it?
Some Coyotes, regardless of the generation (the latest SSM 52334 shown above covers years 2011-2024), don't exhibit the ticking. So that also aligns with the ticking being caused by a parts tolerance stack-up.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 GT 19k miles did not exhibit the ticking noise described. Neither does my 2019 F150 5.0 with 32k on it.
I will say the Coyote motor is a noisy engine. You can hear the phasers rolling around and various other mechanical ticks and sounds. I did add Ceratec and it did quiet both down noticeably. In the truck I didn't notice any change at first, until I took it out for a 200 mile hwy trip. Of course this is all seat of the pants and not scientific. My ears say, it did make a difference. No gas mileage change etc..
Sponsored